• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Shock Advice - trying to figure out my Wilbers..

S

SNOONE

I had Max's install new Wilbers on my GS this past Winter and believe me they are the best investment I could have made for my bike.. Cornering is vastly improved as is every other facet of the ride....

Here's the problem.. The shocks were set by the factory in response to a set of questions that i was asked...and they seem to be fine, but what do i know. Could the ride be even better if they were tweaked? ..... I also had them build the shocks 1 " lower..

What about the preload adjuster in the rear.?. Are there any set rules? .. I have it cranked about 1/4 when driving alone and with luggage and if my wife is on the back if I remember I crank it a little more.. I did notice this weekend that with the extra weight, the rear end does sink putting the level of my eyes looking through the windshield as opposed to above when riding solo.. If I crank the preload adjuster will that prevent the rear end from becoming lower?.. Is it pretty much trial and error?

only some of the process is "trial and error", but even then it is to be done with some good understanding of what you are trying to accomplish and what it feels like when you get there.
even tho this is written by/for Ohlins, the principles of setting sag (your preload adjuster is related to that), rebound and compression damping are all the same. the mechanics of adjusting will be specific to Wilbers, but the goals remain consistent. have fun!
http://www.ohlins.com/Products/OwnersManuals/OM_07241-02.pdf

Thanks for the link....This will be very helpful.. Wilbers came with nothing....

Back