Thread: Toaster 75/5

'91 K100LT, '99 R1100RT theblueeagle's Avatar

Toaster 75/5

I came across 1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank for sale this weekend. It is in nice original condition with decent chrome and paint. It has about 60k miles on it, runs good and has a new battery. It has been in the owner's family since 1980 and had only one owner before that. They are asking $3000 for it.

Since I'm a K-bike person I'm totally clueless whether this is a fair deal, a ripoff or one heck of a steal. I'm not into fully restoring the unit but would like a nice Airhead for a daily commuter. Any advice, pointers and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick
    Last edited by theblueeagle; 08-17-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    Ride Safe - Be Safe

Quote Originally Posted by theblueeagle View Post
    I came across 1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank for sale this weekend. It is in nice original condition with decent chrome and paint. It has about 60k miles on it, runs good and has a new battery. It has been in the owner's family since 1980 and had only one owner before that. They are asking $3000 for it.

Since I'm a K-bike person I'm totally clueless whether this is a fair deal, a ripoff or one heck of a steal. I'm not into fully restoring the unit but would like a nice Airhead for a daily commuter. Any advice, pointers and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick
    A clean toaster with no significant issues is a very good deal at $3K -- if you don't want it, pass me the info (by PM, don't want someone reading this thread to beat me there )

keelerb
    Would say it's a fair deal. Would disagree that it's "very good," as someone who's been in the market for just such a bike for a while and keeps abreast of what they're actually selling for.

Worst market for selling bikes - and best for buying - I've seen in 32 years.

Quote Originally Posted by keelerb View Post
    Would say it's a fair deal. Would disagree that it's "very good," as someone who's been in the market for just such a bike for a while and keeps abreast of what they're actually selling for.

Worst market for selling bikes - and best for buying - I've seen in 32 years.
    Maybe so -- my perspective may be somewhat warped by what I think my wife's toaster is worth

Quote Originally Posted by theblueeagle View Post
    I came across 1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank for sale this weekend.
    Wow! $3k for just the tank! I wonder what it would cost to get a bike to go along with that...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

'91 K100LT, '99 R1100RT theblueeagle's Avatar
    Ok, so I went and took my own look at the beast today. I certainly isn't a clean as it was described to me. The tank has a dent in the top and overall I'd say the bike is a 50 footer. It looks good at fifty feet but is in need of work when looked at closely. Not bad at all but more effort than I'm prepared to invest at this time.

I'm going to pass on this one but here is the seller's information for anyone who is interested:

James Anthony
    2770 B 1/2 Rd #B - Apt. 1
    Grand Junction, CO 81503
    (970)242-2199

No, I don't know the seller and have absolutely no interest in the sale. I just want to pass on the info to others who may be interested. It's always better for a classic bike like this go to a fellow MOA member to keep it "in the family". It saddens me when I see a classic BMW in the wrong hands.

Good luck,

Nick
    Ride Safe - Be Safe

It saddens me when I see a classic BMW in the wrong hands.
    Too bad- sounds like that's where it is! Maybe someone will rescue it. Good toasters are getting scarce.....
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Ambassador
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............ain't how I got here......