• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil Change Question K1200GT 2003

VTRider500

Act Now!
So hear goes. Maybe a dumb question but I just had a full service by my dealer and left on a trip. About 150 miles from home I noticed a very small drip coming from the oil filter cap. Not enough that I was worried to much. I am used to completing the service on everything for my tree and landscape company but just thought it would be a good idea to use the dealer for the bike. So I did a little read up on changing the oil on the K bike. The only thing that I can't find directly is this: Is the houseing around the oil filter supposed to be filled with oil around the filter. Articals suggusted this is the case. When I open the oil filter cap a lot of oil came out. Is this normal. Is the cap more that just a cover? Does is seal in oil? Thanks in advance for the newbe K service quetion!

Yes, to all...

Yes, the cap is holding back the oil around the filter. So, it is normal that it will all run out if you open the cover. You may wish to top off your engine to the appropriate level (middle) of the sight glass, then ride down to your dealer for a service manual or Clymer manual.

ThankS

Yes, you are right I plan on getting a manual. In the same line of questions. Do you think the leak was just the cover plates bolts not tighten enough?

Yes, you are right I plan on getting a manual. In the same line of questions. Do you think the leak was just the cover plates bolts not tighten enough?

That's possible, but be sure not to over tighten them, aluminum strips real easily. There is an O-ring that seals the cover to the pan, not a bad idea to change it out on a 6 year old bike.

The large (80 mm dia.) O-ring should be changed with every oil filter change. If you order the correct kit the o-ring comes with the filter. P/N is 11 00 2 300 053, about $17 last time I ordered them from Max BMW on sale. The shop may not have replaced the O-ring, hence the leak.

The large (80 mm dia.) O-ring should be changed with every oil filter change. If you order the correct kit the o-ring comes with the filter. P/N is 11 00 2 300 053, about $17 last time I ordered them from Max BMW on sale. The shop may not have replaced the O-ring, hence the leak.

Hi,
Just to throw cold water onto the above statement, I have had 2 K1100LT's and 4 K75's (currently still have 3). They all use the same filter and "O" ring. I bought 2 bricks of 10 BMW filters (not the filter KITS) from my dealer just before he gave up BMW. I had 1 "O" ring. in my parts drawer. I have 6 filters left (used 14 of them) and in that time changed ONE "O" ring. I have no leaks nor have I had any leaks in any of my K-bikes.

I feel about the "O" rings as I feel about K-bike valve cover gaskets. I want one in my parts drawer IN CASE it is needed. Once, in 14 filters, the "O" ring felt hard and maybe ready to crack. I changed it and have another for when I find the next one hard and (maybe) about to crack. Until then, I change oil and filter. It works for me.

Back