• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Steering dampener settings??

leadfoot

The previous owner just found and brought me the steering dampener for my R90/6. It was removed to facilitate a Vetter fairing, which I removed. I installed the dampaner, but the maintenance manual I have does not explain the settings. I do not have an original owners manual. Can someone please explain the three settings, and their individual purposes?

Thanks, Jim

Position 0 for smooth roads, zero resistance to steering, and also the position to be in when checking preload on tapered roller bearings at the stem (handle bars should fall slowly to either side to full lock when on center stand and the handle bars are nudged either left or right from center). Position 1 for a bit of resistance on rainy roads. Position 2 for riding in gravel or sand (helps keep the front tire from finding its own path), and on icy surfaces, or taming rain grooves on the slab.

Position 0 for smooth roads, zero resistance to steering, and also the position to be in when checking preload on tapered roller bearings at the stem (handle bars should fall slowly to either side to full lock when on center stand and the handle bars are nudged either left or right from center). Position 1 for a bit of resistance on rainy roads. Position 2 for riding in gravel or sand (helps keep the front tire from finding its own path), and on icy surfaces, or taming rain grooves on the slab.

Thanks Weasel.......now on to the clutch. After all the rides I have had before.....this is one fun bike to work on.

I still have my original riders manual, though it's in pieces and some of it is unreadable from when my seal on my toolbox began to leak. If there's anything else you need to know from that manual, let me know. It will give me an excuse to go over it and see what's salvageable. These manuals are available, though they are a pretty penny...you are right, they are a joy to fiddle with, and a joy to behold.

I still have my original riders manual, though it's in pieces and some of it is unreadable from when my seal on my toolbox began to leak. If there's anything else you need to know from that manual, let me know. It will give me an excuse to go over it and see what's salvageable. These manuals are available, though they are a pretty penny...you are right, they are a joy to fiddle with, and a joy to behold.

EXCELLENT!! Thanks......I just went for my first spin on it since getting it. I cannot believe how smooth it is. I used my home made manometer and set the carbs, and they smoothed out real sweet. The bike actually feels smoother than my 08 RT at 4K RPM. I got it with the intent of using it for the local grind to work instead of the RT, trying to keep the RT for those weekend rides and trips. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship!!:dance

EXCELLENT!! Thanks......I just went for my first spin on it since getting it. I cannot believe how smooth it is. I used my home made manometer and set the carbs, and they smoothed out real sweet. The bike actually feels smoother than my 08 RT at 4K RPM. I got it with the intent of using it for the local grind to work instead of the RT, trying to keep the RT for those weekend rides and trips. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship!!:dance

The problem with getting a "beater" or "daily rider bike" - at least for me - is that I start fixing them up, getting them sweet until they are "too nice" - and then I need another beater! :laugh

The problem with getting a "beater" or "daily rider bike" - at least for me - is that I start fixing them up, getting them sweet until they are "too nice" - and then I need another beater! :laugh

Yeh, but lucky for me, like my streetrod, I cannot stop driving/riding long enough to spend the time to put those final touches on it. That might just be the blessing in that it is saving me some money. I think this bike will round out my needs, but that is what I thought about the 74 Bonneville that I traded for this one. The wife's new rule is "one comes in - one goes out!".

Yeh, but lucky for me, like my streetrod, I cannot stop driving/riding long enough to spend the time to put those final touches on it. That might just be the blessing in that it is saving me some money. I think this bike will round out my needs, but that is what I thought about the 74 Bonneville that I traded for this one. The wife's new rule is "one comes in - one goes out!".

The trick is to somehow get enough bikes that she has trouble keeping track of them. Then you can add another, but say you got rid of one. :evil

picking nits ...

Position 0 for smooth roads, zero resistance to steering, and also the position to be in when checking preload on tapered roller bearings at the stem ...

IMO
it is better to disconnect that damper entirely when adjusting the stem bearings ÔÇô
easy enough to do,
and the task is temperamental enough without the friction
that the damper, even on "0", will introduce into the equation.

I own an oilhead RS that is a nice sweet running machine, but, it does not "move"me in the figurative sense, the way my 'ol 78 RS does. I love the '78 if one can love a motorcycle. I appreciate the oilhead. Understand your new"beautiful relationship".

Back