• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I have a dream, am I crazy ;-) RS to LT, 85 to 91

C

chuck_donahue

I have a dream

I donÔÇÖt know where to start.

I have a k100RS ItÔÇÖs the best bike I ever owned, but I must getting old,I want an RT/LT for long 2 up trips.

I let a friend take my K75 to the rally in TN (I know what you are thinking, how many bikes do I need). The Saturday before the rally we went for a ride so he could get a few miles under his belt before the trip. (He drove there and back on a learners permit) Well my cooling fan died about 30 minuets after my local BMW dealer closed for the weekend, and the parts dept is closed on Monday. We are leaving Tuesday for the rally. So not knowing if they would even have one in stock I decided to just buy a 91 K100 LT. because it had a good fan in it., and a new one is a couple hundred bucks.
I had it running Sunday by 4 pm. So I parted the bike out, sold some stuff, mirrors, trunk, crash bars, speakers, abs, radiator cover and lower left fairing.

I happened across another parts bike, 85 k100rt... I just finished taking it apart. (You should see my garage) I have been thinking about putting the 85 motor in the 91 frame. And putting it back together over the winter. Send out lots of parts to be powder coated, or maybe polished. I will need to buy some of the parts I sold the mirrors, speakers.

I donÔÇÖt foresee any problems that I canÔÇÖt deal with. Am I off base? I think it should be pretty straight forward. I would like to use the wiring from the 91. I canÔÇÖt see that being a problem, except the wiring for the abs I sold. I donÔÇÖt need it and have no intention of replacing it.

I want to use the 85 motor because I also have an 85 K100rs. I have ridden newer k100rsÔÇÖs and they donÔÇÖt have the same HP as the 85.

I know could make my RS into an LT (I have all the parts except the few I sold). I think a half a day I could change it over once it has been fitted I am pretty sure I could use the wiring for the LT on the RS just tie up what I donÔÇÖt use, (speakers, radio, gauges).

So what do you think, am I crazy,

One thing to think about. Heat. I had a K100LT and sold it. It was too hot to ride from July to September. I have never ridden a RS but it looks like there is more airflow on a RS than a LT. had I had a naked K100 or a RS with more air flow, I would probably still be riding a K100 today.

Ralph Sims

One thing to think about. Heat. I had a K100LT and sold it. It was too hot to ride from July to September. I have never ridden a RS but it looks like there is more airflow on a RS than a LT. had I had a naked K100 or a RS with more air flow, I would probably still be riding a K100 today.

Ralph Sims

My RS isn't too hot for me even with temps in the 90's. Around the city it may get old, but out in the burbs and beyond its fine. I have more than 1 bikes :dance
Like I need another bike :dunno
I have
85 K100rs,
86 K75T WPichler Fairing
85 Honda Nighthawk S Mint Cond Shaft drive 700CC
the honda snuck in the garage one night

And the 2 I parted.

I could save my self alot of work just making a setup to change the RS toan LT. I think the hardest thing to do would be the handle bars, cables, and brales.
I am thinking 2 sets of complete forks, tripple tree, with bars, cables, hoses etc. :scratch. But I could make a real nice 91 LT

I did make each bike run before parting them.

I can save you a whole lot of wrench time - buy the 85K100RT with vented 86 fairing lowers that has been sitting idle in my garage this year....... a new battery will bring it to life ready to go cross country.

I can save you a whole lot of wrench time - buy the 85K100RT with vented 86 fairing lowers that has been sitting idle in my garage this year....... a new battery will bring it to life ready to go cross country.

:dunno I kinda like the wrench time when it's not on the side of the road. Ok how much? Where is it? any pic's?

I have a dream

I donÔÇÖt know where to start.

I have a k100RS ItÔÇÖs the best bike I ever owned, but I must getting old,I want an RT/LT for long 2 up trips.

I let a friend take my K75 to the rally in TN (I know what you are thinking, how many bikes do I need). The Saturday before the rally we went for a ride so he could get a few miles under his belt before the trip. (He drove there and back on a learners permit) Well my cooling fan died about 30 minuets after my local BMW dealer closed for the weekend, and the parts dept is closed on Monday. We are leaving Tuesday for the rally. So not knowing if they would even have one in stock I decided to just buy a 91 K100 LT. because it had a good fan in it., and a new one is a couple hundred bucks.
I had it running Sunday by 4 pm. So I parted the bike out, sold some stuff, mirrors, trunk, crash bars, speakers, abs, radiator cover and lower left fairing.

I happened across another parts bike, 85 k100rt... I just finished taking it apart. (You should see my garage) I have been thinking about putting the 85 motor in the 91 frame. And putting it back together over the winter. Send out lots of parts to be powder coated, or maybe polished. I will need to buy some of the parts I sold the mirrors, speakers.

I donÔÇÖt foresee any problems that I canÔÇÖt deal with. Am I off base? I think it should be pretty straight forward. I would like to use the wiring from the 91. I canÔÇÖt see that being a problem, except the wiring for the abs I sold. I donÔÇÖt need it and have no intention of replacing it.

I want to use the 85 motor because I also have an 85 K100rs. I have ridden newer k100rsÔÇÖs and they donÔÇÖt have the same HP as the 85.

I know could make my RS into an LT (I have all the parts except the few I sold). I think a half a day I could change it over once it has been fitted I am pretty sure I could use the wiring for the LT on the RS just tie up what I donÔÇÖt use, (speakers, radio, gauges).

So what do you think, am I crazy,

I will buy your rs fairing.:D

I will buy your rs fairing.:D

I have 3 complete RS fairings, :nyah one on my k100, one going on my k75 (when I take off the pichler), and one for a spare. If I put an LT/RT together I may have to sell the RS :sick. To many bikes in the garage, 2 is the max I will insure.
I keep looking at the mountain of parts I have, I want to put the 91 together with the 85 motor. Powder coat paint every thing forks, side covers, oil pan, all the front covers (timing, oil/water pump ect) battery tray, wheels ...... you get the picture. It would be a pretty nice bike when done for not lots of $$.

But then I am thinking maybe I should just sell it all, my beloved RS too (I have had it since 2002). So I could get a newer LT, make the K75 a RS and have that as my daily driver. I am so confused, one thing I know for sure is :bikes
I have given myself until next weekend 8/29-30 to figure out what I am doing

I will keep your offer in mind.

My plan was to paint one of the fairings and one extra complete set of bodywork I have including the tank white or blue. The set currently on the bike redo it in red, (the paint is 8 years old and my daily driver) and the one extra fairing paint it black. Then I could have 6 different color schemes. I am pretty good at changing fairings; I can R&R the fairing on my RS in 3 hours, all the body work in 4 or 5 hours.
But I have also thought maybe I should paint them all the same, and then I would have fresh painted replacement parts when I need them. :cry

But then I bought the LT, sold some stuff of it ....... then I bought the RT (I already sold parts I will need to replace if I make an LT/RT)

Oh did I mention I have a complete K75S fairing and bodywork too including gas tank. It came with a bike I bought for one of my son's, He isworking on getting it painted, then I get the pearl white that is on his bike now for my k75 with the RS fairing.

I know I will get lots of request to purchase body parts.
I am not selling any of the body parts until I have figured out what I am going to do. I know replacing the parts I already sold will cost more than what I got for what I sold.

Signed
the sicko in algonquin :clap

Back