• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

xcell1600

I recently took a MSF class and passed my test. I am now deciding on which BMW to buy.

Between an F800ST and an R1200.

Any comments?

First of all, welcome to the madness.

Tough choice as they are two different kinds of rides. What kind of riding do you intend to do most of the time? If you can determine that you will be well on the way to deciding. Have you ridden both? You should go to a dealer and ride them back to back then your heart will let you know.

PS Post of pic of the new bike as soon as you get it.

Thank you for your comments.

I will test ride the bikes in the near future. At first my rides will be less than 100 miles and close to home. I do like the look and sound of the boxer engine.

The RT is one fine looking bike.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

800 gs

something to consider, I was in Nick's BMW in DePere WI (NicksBMW.com) and they had a 2008 800 GS, bags, top case, Wilber Shocks, really set up nice, that someone bought and traded it in in less then a week on a 1200 GS. If you are thinking 800 it might be worth considering.

Welcome to the forum.

you are looking at two great bikes.

I had an RT and it was wonderful, have not ridden an 800 but it is getting rave reviews.

Best thing is to take what folks say as information and then go on a road test on each.

Take some time with them and see which appeals more to your riding style, the riding you will be doing and the comfort and ergonomics each provides.

Ultimately it is you who will make the decision.

Let us know what you end up with.

Tough decision but a fun one!

:thumb

Today I tested the F800st and the R1200R. I felt more comfortable on the R1200R due to the more upright body position.

Very comfortable bike. I did not test the GS or the RT due to time constraints.

Back