• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Inexpensive Topcase - RT Update

ChrisF

Long Gone
In a previous thread ( http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2538 ), lorazepam showed how he mounted a topcase on his RS. I was so impressed by his pictures I bought a topcase and mounted it easily to the Craven rack on my R75/5. However, I traded in the old bike for a new RT, which has a rack with a shape different than the Craven and the RS rack.

As Loraz noted, one of the more difficult parts of his project was finding the plastic that would level the case. Unlike the RS rack, the RT rack has high raised lip at the back. I figured a large flat piece of black plastic would work, but where to find it?

After looking through home centers without success, I found what I needed at K-Mart - a black plastic cutting board (Martha Stewart EveryDay, no less).:eek

I placed the board with the drain grooves down and the handle facing forward on the rack, making sure there was enough front clearance to remove the saddle. Then I drilled up through the rear rack slots and test-fitted the board with two #10 x 1.25" bolts. Next, I removed the board and the rack (6 Allen bolts), reattached the board, and drilled up throught the two front slots. Off with the board, on with the rack, and reattached to board to the rack with a total of four bolts. It was a simple task to drill the four holes in the board to attach the topcase mounting plate. The handle in front is a convenient place to attach bungee cords when securing something to the rear seat.

The board is both longer and wider than necessary, so you may want to trim it to fit.

Thanks again to Loraz for the original idea, and now to Martha!:clap

If it's practical, I'd like to see pictures.

I also put a topcase on my '87 K100. I think I had more of a leveling job than other people. That's why I'd like to see pictures.

I have a temporary fix. I used some hard rubber spring spacers from AutoZone that are hose clamped to the back of the rack. That seems to approximately level the topcase. They'll probably be there in five years, and I'll still be calling them a temporary fix.

Noel

OK. You guys sold me. I just ordered a case from Whitney. Now I gotta' stop by K-Mart...

Last edited:
I am glad that the idea worked for you. I thoroughly enjoy having the topcase, and the flat mounting plate is super handy for putting my camping gear on the bike.

cutting board?

Heck, you could even use it for a cutting board after you get to the rally.:dunno :dunno

Okay! Got my Martha Stewart's cutting board ;) and expect my bag from JCW in the next few days.

I'm wondering what's the best source for a roundel to put on the back of it? The one on the RT fairing looks about the right size...

Roundel

Tje dealer usually has a roundel in stock. I think it is off the tank of a 650. I ususlly stick one on my helmet. then people can say, Oh I didn't know BMW makes helmets.:newtoy :thumb

I bought the roundel that goes on the bags, and the black "touring" emblem you can put in place of the reflector on the bags. I foudn that if you pull off the sticker on the topcase, the Touring emblem fits perfectly in the rectangle it leaves.

I have a plain vanilla 94 K75. Any ideas on a good rack that would allow me to mount this case?

Thanks!

Back