• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Rally is not over for me

Some European countries have radically reduced intersection incursions by setting their traffic signals to not turn green until a second AFTER the intersecting street's signals have turned red, or in other words, all lights are red for second before any turn green. It's very successful and it works a treat. US traffic engineers refuse to believe that it could possibly work, claiming that it would really screw up traffic-flow and essentially be the end of the world on our streets. As usual, the rest of the world outsmarts us and we just stick our collective head in the sand of denial.
Huh? That's exactly how many of the lights here in Northern Virginia operate.

Too easy to generalize and condemn a whole group of people with no basis.

Some European countries have radically reduced intersection incursions by setting their traffic signals to not turn green until a second AFTER the intersecting street's signals have turned red, or in other words, all lights are red for second before any turn green. It's very successful and it works a treat. US traffic engineers refuse to believe that it could possibly work, claiming that it would really screw up traffic-flow and essentially be the end of the world on our streets. As usual, the rest of the world outsmarts us and we just stick our collective head in the sand of denial.

As strange as it seems, my dinky little town of 6,000 in Southwestern Virginia does that. The red light I use most often (we don't have many) keeps both lights red for a second or two (seems like a long time). I've only been back for ten years but I don't recall a single red light accident. Our area is usually 10-15 years behind the rest of the world so somebody must have thought this up years ago.

I always treat redlights like a railroad crossing. I look both ways before I proceed regardless of the light.

Ken

Last edited:
I taught my two teen age daughters that when they are first in line at a red light they should count to three before moving when the light turns green. We live about two miles from a light where there is at best a weekly accident from red light runners, and the girls have seen some pretty grisly reminders that green doesn't mean the intersection is safe.

Red light cameras

The State of Montana legislature in the 2009 session banned the use of red light cameras in the state. :clap The original legislation would have grandfathered exisiting cameras, but after several municipalities tired to enter into contracts to be grandfathered, the legislators banned them all.:deal An interesting coalition of conservative and libertarian politicians. It became clear through the process that the cities are revenue driven, not safety driven.

Back