• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r100 year to year changes

atlbmw

the r100's have sparked my interest lately...

I'm interested in a fairly naked r100, with side bags, a passenger backrest, and possibly a topbox. For a windshield, I'm fine with just the National Cycle. So, I've got that much covered, but just try to figure out some year to year changes...

Anybody have a good website or good info about year to year engine/transmission/etc. changes in the bike?

*it seems like the T was replaced with the RT, which required a fairing because that's where the ignition was placed. Is this true on the RS's as well?

I'm pretty much trying to figure what are some of the better years to look for.

I'll post here as I find some as well...

Cheers,
Theo

Last edited:
*it seems like the T was replaced with the RT, which required a fairing because that's where the ignition was placed. Is this true on the RS's as well?

The T and the RT were both introduced in '79.
The T replaced the R100/7 model of '77 and '78, and was discontinued after '80.

The fairing of the RT/RS models wasn't because of the ignition switch.
BMW could have easily left the switch where it was on the headlight--as most owners did
if they retrofitted an RS or RT fairings onto their bikes.

Eddie

R100s (or any other model) were not approved for use of a topbox until 1987.

'77-'78 were the same except headlight always on beginning '78. In 1978 you could buy an R100S with no fairing.

'79-80 featured ignition points in a distributor-like container, but rest of bikes were same as '77-78 except that low-compression, 32mm carbs of the no-fairing models (/7) disappeared, and engines were same as RS and RT. /7 renamed T. Handelbar switches changed to Japanese-style.

'81-'84 saw reduced compression, nikasil cylinders, electronic ignition, handlebar-mounted brake master cylinder operating new Brembo brakes, and much lightened flywheel. New brakes plus flywheel created much lighter, way more user friendly control pressures. Exhaust systems got dual crossovers. S renamed CS. T renamed just R100.

R100s disappeared until 1987, when they returned with K-bike-like front suspension, 18-in wheels front and rear, new brakes, smaller gas tanks, different exhaust system, different wheel styling, single-side swingarm, etc. Electrics moved from headlight to under tank. These bikes had small-valve heads with 32mm carbs. These bikes only sold as RS or RT. Handlebar switches K-bike style, as are saddlebags.

Back