Thread: r100 year to year changes

r100 year to year changes

the r100's have sparked my interest lately...

I'm interested in a fairly naked r100, with side bags, a passenger backrest, and possibly a topbox. For a windshield, I'm fine with just the National Cycle. So, I've got that much covered, but just try to figure out some year to year changes...

Anybody have a good website or good info about year to year engine/transmission/etc. changes in the bike?

*it seems like the T was replaced with the RT, which required a fairing because that's where the ignition was placed. Is this true on the RS's as well?

I'm pretty much trying to figure what are some of the better years to look for.

I'll post here as I find some as well...

Cheers,
    Theo
    Last edited by atlbmw; 08-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.
    1995 K75 A/3 - Will the lifetime memberships ever come back? If so, I want one!
    Peace....Theo

Peace....Theo

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad kstoo's Avatar
    Yeah, be careful. While reading the middle link I get this important misinformation:
    "1975-1976 offered no changes."

really
    1980 R100T (Gilera), 1982 R100RT (Toad), 1975 R60/6 (cern?ícalo)
    Adventures at the Cave

Here's snowbum's link for general changes over the years:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/models.htm

Seems like lkchris has posted information like this before...consider a search on this forum.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Peace....Theo

bike junkie...
    Quote Originally Posted by atlbmw View Post
    *it seems like the T was replaced with the RT, which required a fairing because that's where the ignition was placed. Is this true on the RS's as well?
    The T and the RT were both introduced in '79.
    The T replaced the R100/7 model of '77 and '78, and was discontinued after '80.

The fairing of the RT/RS models wasn't because of the ignition switch.
    BMW could have easily left the switch where it was on the headlight--as most owners did
    if they retrofitted an RS or RT fairings onto their bikes.

Eddie

R100s (or any other model) were not approved for use of a topbox until 1987.

'77-'78 were the same except headlight always on beginning '78. In 1978 you could buy an R100S with no fairing.

'79-80 featured ignition points in a distributor-like container, but rest of bikes were same as '77-78 except that low-compression, 32mm carbs of the no-fairing models (/7) disappeared, and engines were same as RS and RT. /7 renamed T. Handelbar switches changed to Japanese-style.

'81-'84 saw reduced compression, nikasil cylinders, electronic ignition, handlebar-mounted brake master cylinder operating new Brembo brakes, and much lightened flywheel. New brakes plus flywheel created much lighter, way more user friendly control pressures. Exhaust systems got dual crossovers. S renamed CS. T renamed just R100.

R100s disappeared until 1987, when they returned with K-bike-like front suspension, 18-in wheels front and rear, new brakes, smaller gas tanks, different exhaust system, different wheel styling, single-side swingarm, etc. Electrics moved from headlight to under tank. These bikes had small-valve heads with 32mm carbs. These bikes only sold as RS or RT. Handlebar switches K-bike style, as are saddlebags.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S