• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 bmw r1200rt? R1300rt?

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
Any news yet on what the 2010 RT will be? I hear vague rumors, but nothing concrete yet.

I was on another forum and there was a link to a picture of a 2010 RT. It is quite different from the present model and it has the HP2 motor. There was a link to a Italian web site with the picture and information. I did not like the looks of the bike (if that is the real 2010 model). It looks more like a sport bike than a touring bike and it would seem that BMW is going after a younger buyer, in fact that is what the article indicated. The seat and side cases looked that same as the present model and I have heard that the HP2 motor requires a lot of maintenance. The article also noted that the bike no longer has the BMW switch gear for the turn signals. I really do not understand what all the brew ha ha is over the switch gear for the turn signals. I will try and find the article again and will post a link on this forum.

Computer translation:

http://translate.google.com/transla...0-bmw-r1300rt.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

BMW_R1300RT_projection_stpz.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch - that's hard on the brain!

I'm very interested in seeing what it turns out to be and when it turns out to be. Since I can't make the K12GT tall enough for me, I'm hoping the RT will fit the bill. It's either that or a R1xGS (wonder what that will look like in 2010?)

Here is another site - seems to be based on the same source: http://dalefranks.com/cycles/?tag=r1300rt

Interestingly though... this would only be this way in the states for 2 years... according to my dealership, all bikes need to be watercooled by 2012 due to increasing emission standards... so an engine change after only two years of a model change would be pretty quick.

B-1

Interestingly though... this would only be this way in the states for 2 years... according to my dealership, all bikes need to be watercooled by 2012 due to increasing emission standards... so an engine change after only two years of a model change would be pretty quick.

B-1
I woudln't believe everything your dealership tells you. You can also control engine temps with oil cooling AS IS done now with the R12 (and R11XX) series engines. It might require adding an electric fan to the oil cooler, but no reason that water has to be used.

I was on another forum and there was a link to a picture of a 2010 RT. It is quite different from the present model and it has the HP2 motor. There was a link to a Italian web site with the picture and information. I did not like the looks of the bike (if that is the real 2010 model). It looks more like a sport bike than a touring bike and it would seem that BMW is going after a younger buyer, in fact that is what the article indicated. The seat and side cases looked that same as the present model and I have heard that the HP2 motor requires a lot of maintenance. The article also noted that the bike no longer has the BMW switch gear for the turn signals. I really do not understand what all the brew ha ha is over the switch gear for the turn signals. I will try and find the article again and will post a link on this forum.
I rather like it. It's not as heavy looking as the current model - and adjusting the valves wouldn't require plastic removal as the current model does.

Dunno what you've heard about the HP2 motor - but it's basically the same engine with a new head - and the same design BMW used for valve actuation on the F1 cars and eventually the M3 engines (S54 to be exact.) I own 2 S54 engined cars - and a 30,000 mile valve adjustment is much more acceptable to me than the 6,000 mile current hexhead engine interval.

The switch gear is already on most of the '09 bikes - so BMW can stop hearing reviews bitching about their odd switchgear (and yes - after 15 years of using it, I still sometimes blink/left furiously when I want to blow my horn..)

I really do not need more power than my R1200RT has. It can scare me just fine. Perhaps I am getting too old.

+1 on enough power in the 1200RT. I don't care for the new fairing design. There seems to be no protection for the legs any longer.

ST Redux?

Reminds me of my beloved:heart ST, but with a more "politically correct" headlight assembly!:deal

I think it's butch!:lurk

Len

+1 on enough power in the 1200RT. I don't care for the new fairing design. There seems to be no protection for the legs any longer.

+1 on the fairing. That is one of the features I like most on my RT. The picture looks like BMW might be leaning towards a look more like the FJR or C14. Maybe looking for the younger buyer. I also do not need more power. Of course all the motorcycle mags just love the Concours 14 because it has 160 HP or something like that.

+1 on the fairing. That is one of the features I like most on my RT. The picture looks like BMW might be leaning towards a look more like the FJR or C14. Maybe looking for the younger buyer. I also do not need more power. Of course all the motorcycle mags just love the Concours 14 because it has 160 HP or something like that.

As a long time Concours owner, I held off buying a new cycle in anticipation of the updated Concours. When it was finally released, I took one look at the specs and then proceeded to buy my R1200 RT. If I wanted a cruise missle with saddlebags, I would have bought a sportbike and installed a set of Givi's on the sides.

I wasn't looking for heavier, sportier, more fuel consumption, far greater mechanical complexity, or the ability to rack up enough speeding points to lose my license in a single season. One of the beauties of the previous generation Concours was the simplicity of the machine and the ease of perfoming routine maintenance along with the stone cold reliability and phenominal range on a tank of fuel.

That said, I lost the mechanical simplicity and ease of performing a lot of routine maintenance when I bought the RT, but it's not nearly as bad as the new Concours with the engine wedged between frames rails so as to be nearly inaccessable, and don't get me started about shim and bucket valve adjustments.

I still have the old Concours and occasionally I ride it back to back with the RT, each has it's merits and I love both of them, but I don't see myself embracing any newer generation touring machine that follows the path the Concours went down.

My $.02...

I really do not need more power than my R1200RT has. It can scare me just fine. Perhaps I am getting too old.

I rarely wish for more power, but when it's both of us and all our camping gear, it'd be nice to have a bit more power. I could use it to clear long strings of cars or double trailer trucks on rural two lane long grades. There were a couple times in Utah a couple years ago I found myself wishing for more.

I like it. It looks a bit 12ST-ish, which is okay with me since I think the 12ST is a beautiful machine. As long as the new RT retains the comfortable/conservative RT ergos then I'd be interested.

Back