• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ATGATT as fashion statement?

I have it all BMW rally pro suit, Olympia mesh jacket, BMW Club Jacket, leather, full textile Alpine star suit, ICON riding jeans, etc, helmets, a large selection also. I wear it all for different events and at different times of the year. That being said it just makes me fee more confident when I ride, better lean angles, more comfort and security. I don't take more risks but I do feel better. Occasionally in the
90+ period in Pa I have ridden without the jacket to the store or to run an errond at work and I feel terrible, almost like riding naked (No one wants to see that) but the feel of proper gear is great. how it keeps you from getting burnt, you don't have tee shirts flapping around your neck, you don't get stuff in your eyes etc. Nothing I do to my BMW gs is for looks, just for safety or perfromance. My other bikes, ?? a little different but I still wear the gear. NO show for me I've been down as a kid Squid before and still have the scars to prove it 18 years later. No fashion statement it's just who we are. By the way I got the Rally pro used but brand new for $1,000 saved about $800 by using this site! I could never accept the head scarf beer drinking Harley mean looking harley life style so I guess you have some point. I see it when five BMW riders pass five Harley riders and they all look the same and we all look the same. I like us better.

Brett Endress
Altoona PA

You should see the looks I get from ALL riders when I'm on my HD Heritage Softail Classic and I'm wearing my Joe Rocket Suzuki GSX-R fully-armored light-weight racing jacket (it's comfortable), Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 padded mesh pants (it's cool when it's hot) and my bright orange Icon Dragon full face helmet (it's baaaddd!). :scratch :clap :thumb

I brake mold. :jose

Last edited:
rspennachio,

I do not understand your comment. I know not of this hair you say I am splitting.

The quote you refer to is pointing to those that absolutely must have all the latest from BMW as they feel that paying 2-3 times the price and having the BMW logo on it makes it higher quality.

I think I understand what you're saying; however; unlike HD, who'll brand anything for a residual; BMW seems a bit more circumspect. The comments and reviews from users and reputable sources such as MCN, describe high quality garments in form, function and wear. I believe, like you, that there are comparable value riderwear for less if you're wiling to do the research to save the bucks (like me). Regardless of the price, though, buyers of BMW wear appear to get high quality garments no matter who actually makes them for BMW. Of course it costs more. Look at what they get for their motorcycles.

I agree. I never said that BMW gear was not good to top quality. But I do know that there are many that buy it because of the BMW Logo as well as the quality of the goods. The exact same goes for the bikes.

I am about to start looking for a replacement bike. I will be looking for a brand new bike and it will NOT be a BMW. They are way to expensive. Sure they are nice bikes and have lots of modern doodads and stuff on them, but I don't really want all that crap. I prefer a good quality bike that is fairly simple with a minimum of "tupperware" on it. And I would prefer to have a dealer closer than 2-3 hours away. I have test ridden some of the current offerings from BMW and really don't like them. They just don't fit me, the way I am used to riding.

I have said it before and feel it is still true. BMW has built itself into a niche market to Baby Boomers with lots of disposable income. I am a Baby Boomer, but my disposable income is not that huge. I watch every penny and make sure it buys me the most bang for the buck. BMW does not do that for me anymore.

I could never accept the head scarf ... style
Mine are purple tie-dye, US & UK flag motifs, and an Excelsior promo I got in Daytona a few years back. You really ought to try one. It keeps the helmet liner fresh for a lot longer and, on those days when it's too hot to be wearing one, just dip it in cold water and let it evaporate to keep you cool. :D

Or you can try this style from the Women in Motorcycling Conference:
625732529_M46mJ-M.jpg

I agree. I never said that BMW gear was not good to top quality. But I do know that there are many that buy it because of the BMW Logo as well as the quality of the goods. The exact same goes for the bikes.

I am about to start looking for a replacement bike. I will be looking for a brand new bike and it will NOT be a BMW. They are way to expensive. Sure they are nice bikes and have lots of modern doodads and stuff on them, but I don't really want all that crap. I prefer a good quality bike that is fairly simple with a minimum of "tupperware" on it. And I would prefer to have a dealer closer than 2-3 hours away. I have test ridden some of the current offerings from BMW and really don't like them. They just don't fit me, the way I am used to riding.

I have said it before and feel it is still true. BMW has built itself into a niche market to Baby Boomers with lots of disposable income. I am a Baby Boomer, but my disposable income is not that huge. I watch every penny and make sure it buys me the most bang for the buck. BMW does not do that for me anymore.

Years ago, in the late 70's or early 80's, there was a BMW ad comparing a R90s to the then current Japanese competitor the Yamaha 1100. The R90s was significantly lower and lighter. It was just a small line drawing graphic, comparing the profiles from a head-on perspective. I wish someone at BMW (i.e., the Hummer M/C company) would reconsider that approach. I too am a bit scared that a new GS or RT might topple and crush me.

Sarcasm Font is used here:laugh:laugh:laugh

Sounds like a few of you would love a "modern" Sportster...no fairing......only prob is they cost as much as a BMW:whistle...but the dealer network is honkin' HUGE...enjoy the ride fellas:bolt

Interesting mix today

Saw a woman on a HD. She was wearing a full face helmet, ballistic armored jacket, pants and river sandals.

She had pink toenail polish.

I have begun to wonder more and more about the actual efficacy of the standard safety gear. And as a corollary, do BMW riders simply fall over more than other riders.

Yes I have fallen over several times on my GSA but never on my Cruiser. :bolt
( I did have 1 bad wreak on the cruiser though and that is why I wear what I now wear)

For example, the current fixation on Aerostich seems to concentrate more on color choices and the number of pockets, than on crash protection. The popular First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket seems more useful for a safari than for motorcycling, but it does come in "hi-vis" yellow. :D
And when equipped with our $600 BMW jacket, $300 pants, etc., we can then use our speaker-equipped helmet to listen to XM, talk to our pillon passenger and answer our cell phone. This is the approach for safety?

Safety and comfort. The Aerostich Kili and BMW all offer great protection and usefulness.

It seems that a BMW rider is as identifiable from a distance as are our H-D brethren. Is it the herd mentality that causes us to do the things we do?

True but change the name to cruiser rider and sport and or adventure rider.
Crusiers are "kool" and sport and adventure bikes are purpose built machines.

Since when was a nylon garment considered actual protection from mishap? Even the Cordura stuff isn't much better. Are we making clothing decisions because all the other (BMW) riders are doing the same?
You are misinformed.

I do not think the tex gear is nylon. Mine is not.

I was putting on my textile mesh jacket the other day (it is hot here in NC) and to be honest, I don't think it would survive any serious get-off, especially without melting into a plastic lump. All this has got me thinking that ATGATT is, to a great extent, self delusional. If you wear the outfit, you will somehow survive. (Sorta reminds me of the old song "...get yourself an outfit and you can be a cowboy too").

While to some it my look like that, in reality it is not. Give it a test at lets say 50 mph with the gear and then without. I did it with the gear and let me tell you I am sure glad I had it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lets tempt physics by loading our cycles with huge plastic or aluminum boxes, top, fore and aft, to carry all the "necessities" that won't fit into our pockets or tank bag. Oh, that's if the tank bag has any room left after the electronics were relocated there to allow more room for hook-ups for the heated gloves and the radar detector.

Not sure what you use your bike for but that is one of the best features of my GSA. I can use my bike for all sorts of fun as well as running errands. went to a bike rally with mostly chrome cruisers and they all gave me and the wife the stink eye on our GSA. We had chairs, a cooler and other "needed gear" as well as a pizza on top. When it was time to stop they saw that ole pappy had it going.

So we continue to add multiple lights to our motorcycles, replace the horns with louder units, plaster reflective material on any available space and ride off the corner and into the trees for no discernible reason, but are thankful that we
added those cylinder head protectors last week.

Sounds smart to me. Have been glad I had all that you mentioned. :usa

Other than enriching the vendors, what is going on here?

Just like any sport or hobby you have to pay to play. :whistle

And who in the world decided that a 600 pound motorcycle was ever intended for off road use?
I really don't get it.:scratch

What is not to understand. You play football you get football gear, play hockey get hocky gear and if you golf get the golf stuff. You are right though, a 600 pound moto is not a good off road bike but mine is one heck of a great road bike and will also hit the unimproved back roads.

Do we do this stuff to point out that we are one of "this group", not to be confused with that "other" group?

Just like football and baseball.

What is your answer to this?

The answer is be you own person and do what you want.
I wear the tex gear gear because I know what happens when skin hits the pavement and I am not a pirate riding a chrome horse. :dance

Back