• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75 owner-R1150RT Opportunity

jhgilbert

I'm going to look at a 2002 R1150RT for the second time this evening and need some guidance. I love the K75RT, but....

1. I'm tired of smelling like exhaust fumes after riding.
2. I find the European wind screen noisy and mine isn't adjustable.
3. The bike is a bit small for me (6', 235 lbs).

The R1150 seemed to fit great, had only 25K miles and was in beautiful shape.

1. Other than the final drive, what should I be looking for?
2. Are the servos really that unreliable?
3. Will it be as dead reliable as the K75?
4. Any other advice?

Last edited:
I have an 03 R1150Rt and find no issues with servios other than the added expense they bring if you are not doing your own brake bleeds. I used to ride an 85K100Rt and the differences are immediately noticible and remarkable. I've tried talking myself into upgrading to a 1200, but wind up asking myself why, this one isn't fully broken in yet at 26K.

I rode a K75S for eight years, now on an Oilhead in year twelve. I agree with bmw_rider's comments.

The real bottom line is: what pushes your button? Either bike can make you happy. If one does, then go for it. I'd be reluctant to buy something that I didn't like much because it was a good deal, or seemed like something I ought to like.

Hi there,

My situation was identical to yours.

I had a K75RT a 91 model that I had sine 93. It did fine other than the propensity for the gasahol to eat up the fuel lines and more expensively, the fuel pump. I decided it was time to trade when the air sensor ($675.00 part only) decided to take a dump.

The R1150RT was what I got.

Things I don't like. Fuel mileage went down a bit. Instead of 40+ I get 35 to 36 MPG.
The rear end issue. It hasn't happened yet but the suspense is killing me.

It's bloody tall. I had to modify the seat mounts a tad to get it lower.

It's no where as smooth as the K75. Yep folks will tell you it's smooth. Compared to the "other twin" yes it is indeed smooth but it doesn't compare to the K75.

Servicing. The fricken tupperware removal for just about any maintenance on it is more than a bit tedious. I need a flashlight to check the oil level. Having to disassemble so much to just check the battery (I use a wet cell, works great for 3 + years) . It does take more servicing than the K.

Whizzy brakes. The idea of power brakes n a motorcycle just boggles my mind. A solution in search of a non existent problem. If you lack skills then the semi integrated brakes are good for you. If you have been trained to ride with precision they are a pain in the tail as they tend to grab at low speed.

Good stuff.

TONS of power compared to the K75. The mid range is far more responsive. You still need to get the revs up a bit for starting out as it will stall easily but the power is there, especially if you ride 2 up.

It's about the same weight but the center of balance is a bit lower so it feels better but you are still higher up than the K bike is.

It's newer so finding folks to work on it is easier. Parts (particularly body parts) will be on hand more often.

Passenger seating is better. Granny loves the way it lets her look around and see more since she's up higher now.

It's quieter and both of us like that part.

I know the dislike list is long but I still feel it was the best way to go simply as the K was getting real long in the tooth. Personally I wish they still made them but that's not gonna happen.

Would I make the same trade today, probably, but I also think I'd be more inclined to get the Kawasaki Concours that I could have bought new for what I paid for the used 1150RT. The color was better too. I like blue more than silver grey.

My comparison is to a K100RT- which is taller than the K75, so I'd say the 1150 is lower, both in seat height and center of gravity. Suspension is far superior to the early K's, cornering is every bit as smooth. I'd confirm also that the engine is smoother than other R's but not as smooth as K's. I don't dread the final drive failture, becuase it seems to get more press than actual occurance. The oil check sight glass gives me more concern since it seems to be more frequently occuring. Bottom line if you like the bike and can afford it -go for it.

I just got in from lunch and forgot to add one more reason to move on from the K75....

It's hot....Man is it HOT in El Paso's 100 degree summer. I'll admit it was nice in fall, winter and spring after it had warmed up. But it's just too hot to consider riding for any length of time.

I went from a K75RT to the R1150RT. At speeds in excess of 70 the oilhead is smoother and gets better mileage. The suspension of the oilhead is greatly superior. The lack of heat to the rider with the boxer is huge in the summer. The K is smoother and more controlable in city traffic. The boxer needs more maintenance and uses a little oil.

This one will get used as a daily commuter....about 25 miles per day. And I usually ride to a conference or two each year, which usually means the freeway for at least part of the distance.

On last year's trip, the K75 was dead smooth at 70-80 indicated mph and still had plenty of throttle for passing trucks. I'm not too worried about the R1150 on the highway, but I hadn't given it's in town maneuverability a thought. The K75 zips around, gets the job done and still returns 45+ mpg at our altitude (3800 ft-not quite high enough to use the altitude plug).

We'll have to see if the R is as easy to maneuver with its longer wheel-base. I'm not looking forward to less gas mileage. I love getting by on $6-8 per week (bragging rights).

K75 vs R1150

Many owners of pre-2004 oilhead boxers report a surging problem to varying degrees ranging from "surge, what surge?" to "it bucks like a damned bronco!". This is a lean fuel mixture programmed into US bikes that is most noticeable in the 2500 to 4000 rpm range. My 2002 R1150RT surged moderately and the problem was largely eliminated by the installation of a Techlusion device. You might want to check this on the '02 model you're looking at.

Dr. Paul is correct with the surge, what surge....... Techillision should be a last resort effort to resolve this. There is a littany of things you can try to first. If your not already aware of the site: www.bmwsporttouring.com , you should be. There are many threads there to search for solutions to any issue you'll encounter on an 1150.

'04 rt

I regret getting an 1150 because the 1200's are a lot lighter. But...
I perfer the fairings of my 1150, I think it is the best looking bike out there.

I just got back from a weekend of geology in Silverton, CO. Thanks for the replies. I'll check it all out this week. The owner is a pretty reasonable guy, so we're spending some more time going over the bike top to bottom.

Anyone know what the shaft lube frequency is? Current owner says he has never lubed it, but he did have a former BMW mechanic adjust the final drive.

We took it on a test ride last night. Very comfy. The character of the boxer engine was interesting. I didn't really get on it, but it didn't feel that much snappier than the old K75.

The transmission felt just like the K, only smoother shifting.

The character of the whole bike was different. It felt better balanced, yet something about it kept me from really leaning it at times when I'd just put the K75 on the edge of the tire. It was quieter than the K. The electric windscreen allowed me to keep my head and shoulders in the wind and I never once got hot legs or thighs. My Schuberth even fit in a side bag.

The brakes are AWESOME!

I'm going to have a little time to sort it all out...I pick it up next week when the owner gets back from the mountains.:burnout

JHGilbert:

I got a 2002 R1150RT last February (13K) and the only complain that I have is surging. Between 2,500 and 3,800 RPM the surge is quite noticeable. I already adjusted valves, changed spark plugs and tried to synchro the throttle bodies. This reduced the surge just a little bit but still persist.

The final drive issue also keeps me a little worried although I already changed the FD and transmission oil and will keep doing the same as Paul Glaves suggest (every 6K) which is a quite easy and inexpensive preventive measure.

Besides this detail, I feel this is a wonderful bike that handles superbly and can be ridden even in the hot and humid summer weather in Florida without having your legs cooked! :laugh

Good luck with your search :thumb

The owner and I took a nice ride on Thursday evening. He has a cherry KLX 650 (or was it a KLR) from the 80's that he rode. Mix of town and highway, no surging that I felt. Judging by the other toys I observed, I'd bet money it was well maintained. I'm feeling pretty good about the deal and we'll get it finalized this week. It was sure comfy, balanced and had a completely different feel than the K75.

Hi, Joel,
You, Larry and I need to get together for breakfast. Then I can see your oilhead, you can see my K75RTP and I can see Larry's K75RT!

I have an 02

Yes it surges. I have had some hot rod cars. they surge too. Worse even. I liked it on them, and it does not bother me on this one.

If you do your own service and switch to the Autolite or Bosch sparkplugs listed in the alternate parts sections, you will have less or no surge. The Autolights are so inexpensive compared to the NGK, that you can put in new ones every 6K (or 3K for that new plug feeling) and still be money ahead.

If you learn to set your valves, and do you own balance, put on the improved cam chain tensioner, the surge is mostly or completely gone. The engine is noisy. that is normal. I am going to set the rocker arm side clearance next tune up oil change and see if that helps.

I am getting to where I like the servo brakes. They only take one finger. I reserve the right to change my mind if they break. But I will fix them. I had to emergency brake to dodge a left turning car. Rolled thru a puddle of something, and they smoothly reduced the braking as the tires squealed. As soon as I cleared the patch, the braking smoothly and rapidly ramped up to normal. Most likely they saved my bacon. I could not ask for better, I wish the ones on my car worked as well. Now they DO grab at low speed, be careful and use one finger. I WRAP 3 fingers around the brake lever but only use one, just in case.

Just get out and ride and don't worry, its only money.

Rod

It's mine!
It's beautiful, as confirmed by another Beemer afficianado. And when I'm not driving it like a K75, it feels really stable and that midrange torque is awesome.

And yes....it surges. You can hear it when it's on fast idle and when the engine is cool, so it's tinkering time. But it cruises so nicely at 70 per. I'll check it out more this week and do some reading.

Glad you pulled the trigger on the RT!

I switched from a '92 K75S to an '02 R1150RTP in June of 2007 as I got tired of not being seen by the cages. I don't get merged into any longer! I love the fact that if I'm riding in the rain at speed, hardly any drops get on me - that huge fairing really does the job! I love the fact that I can cruise effortlessly at 80 mph+. I love the fact that as a year-round rider in rainy Seattle, ABS brakes will stop me regardless of pavement conditions.

Yes - it's expensive to maintain. The dealer wants to charge me $200 in labor just to remove and reinstall the crash bars and Tupperware every service - so I use an independent mechanic who doesn't.

Yes - the brakes can be fussy. Wear down the brake pads to the point the fluid level drops to compensate for the greater volume in the pistons and the plastic parts and the tank has to come off to service the brake system.

Yes - my bike ate her clutch input shaft at 33K miles. That was an expensive repair, but now it's out of the way.

Her final drive may fail at some point. At least I don't have to grease a chain at every fill-up!

I'm 5'11" and have no problem putting the balls of my feet down at stops. At first, the R-bike felt huge. Now it feels perfectly normal to me - sometimes even a little small :)

You'll really appreciate the ergonomics on that first long ride you take. If you don't already have the ELF-pegs or equivalent, GET THEM! Having the ability to stretch your legs out makes all the difference in the world.

Everything in life is a trade-off. Switching from the K75 to the R1150RT involved a few trade-offs, but most of the adjustments were a trade-up to a much improved bike.

Back