• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Owners Club or riding group in Central Florida?

vectorprime27

I've asked this question before, but not gotten any real response. After attending the Rally and seeing a number of the clubs from around the U.S., I couldn't help but wonder why Central Florida doesn't have a club. Seems there are active clubs in Jacksonville and Pinellas County, but I can't find anything about the Central Florida (Orlando area). I was told the BMW of Daytona and BMW of Orlando had something going, but no one at either dealership knows anything about it. Personally, I think they are missing a great opportunity here. If Central Florida doesn't have an active club, perhaps those of you in the area might be interested in helping get something started? If so (or if I'm just really uninformed and there is something here) post up and let's see what happens. Jacksonville is a bit of a ride to make a club event for me :deal

Wow. I guess I was wrong....apparently no one else in central Florida rides BMW's....at least....no one that is on the Forum. Damn. I so didn't want to move. :bolt

There is a group called The Sun Beemers over by Tampa. They will have a rally this fall in the Venice, FL area.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

BMW Clubs Central Fl

Go to the home page, chartered clubs. You will find BMW Riding Group Of Orlando and all the rest of the BMW clubs in Florida
Jack Ethridge
Orlando

BMW Clubs Central Fl

Go to the home page, chartered clubs. You will find BMW Riding Group Of Orlando and all the rest of the BMW clubs in Florida
Jack Ethridge
Ocala

The dealer in Orlando had some one that was leading some rides, but I think they got a little out of hand. I think they discontinued tit because of liability. Too many accidents or incidents I heard.
We at the Jax club (BMW-NEF) have lots of members from all over the SE, ride up and check us out.
The next meeting is this coming Sunday, at the Fleet Landing on the west side.
Breakfast served at 8:30, meeting starts at 9 AM.
If you need directions or a GPS coordinates, send me a PM or post it here.
Or check or website: http://www.bmwnef.org/
Another group to check out is BMWSportTouring.com, they have regional meetings/lunches or tech days from time to time.

Jack Ethridge
Ocala

Checked them all out...at least, the ones that said Orlando or Central Florida. Most haven't been updated in years. I tried to email several, but got no responses. Me thinks the data in the Chartered Clubs section is just a bit too old. I'll most likely be at the rally in Sarasota and will continue to seek other riders here in Orlando. I'll also try to join the BMW-NEF group and the Sun Beemers at least once. Just a long (and very early) ride to make an 8:30 breakfast that is ~200 miles away! Thanks for the info guys.

We had a club based in Orlando for 6-7 years, the Beeline Beemers. Used to have a rally the beginning of April, April Fools Rally. The club just died out of lack of interest around '96 or '97.

I live in the area and went on one of the rides a couple of years ago. It was fun, I met a few folks. There was one incident where an older guy with a borrowed bike dumped in in a curve. I think he was either new to riding or a re-entry rider without a lot of experience. My wife is a nurse so we stayed with him until we could convince him to get checked out at the local hospital (Lake County). There were a lot of riders on the ride that day. I think many of the folks that didn't have a lot of experience were mixed in with people who did (and wanted to go fast). So the less experienced folks should have been placed in a seperate group. Or the more experienced people should have slowed it down (it was a group ride). I've never felt comfortable in a large group ride situation where I don't know all the riders and their riding styles. I do like the comradrie of a good group but this day it was a very large group.
I would still be interested in getting together with some of the folks in the area. We could also do some tech sessions, or just plan to meet for meals etc.

Get in touch with the Space Coast group. They usually have 2 rides a month. Usually a good group of guys that ride conservatively. They also team up with another Long Distance Riders group for several lunch rides a year.

It would actually be great to generate enough interest to get a club going in Central Florida, but from what I gather that might not be possible. I'm very impressed with the Jax. club. Most members at the National Rally 3 years running, with 91 making the trip this time. Just a bit of a distance for us to participate fully.

I've sent an email over the the Space Coast group and will likely join them and well as the Sunbeemers and the Jax group for a ride or two before settling on one. Then again, maybe we'll just hang with em' all :).

Can't get too much riding....can you?

Vector, I knew the BMWNEF in JAX when I lived in SAV. Great folks for sure! If I may off some unsolicited advice: Don't think of trying to start a club as that can be daunting. Simply drop a note in the local papers or on Craig's List (even meetup.com) and start by finding some local folks to ride with. Maybe you all can make a group (even two is a group) ride up to meet the nearest Chartered Clubs. Don't let names and designations get in the way of finding good people to ride with. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

If there's genuine lasting interest, you all will do more and more together and a solid club can form. Starting out as riders that like to hang out together and see what happens.

That sounds like a solid plan to me :). TRYING to get a club started is probably a daunting task at best. Letting it happen as it will is the better solution. Thanks for the advice.

As for riding in the heat, as long as I am moving I'm doing just fine :).

I tried getting involved with a FL BMW group, but did not find what I was looking for. I live in SW FL and ended up joining the Alabama beemer group, bmwmoal.org . They are a very active group that ride all the time. Every months meeting is a mini rally/campout somewhere in the AL, GA, TN, NC area. They also host the world famous Chicken rally. Two of the members, past presidents, were the rally chairs at the international rally in Johnson City.

Ride

According to eurotrashriders.com, they meet at City Diner on Livingston in downtown Orlando on Sunday morning between 8:00 and 9:00. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and see if anyone shows up.

MB

Back