• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

new guy here from Houston

jerbunch

Hello all... I am new to BMW's, now have an 05 R1200RT. The only other boxer engine I had was an 05 Ural with a sidecar, but lost it in the great flood from Ike. Also lost an 04 Harley Heritage, and an 06 Sportster, and a 69 BSA Victor 441. Quite a change from a Harley, but I am enjoying every minute of it. I am in the area just north of Seabrook and the Kemah Boardwalk, just off 146 in Shoreacres. Any body else out ther from around here??? I am enjoying the forum and everyone's opinions about everything. BTW, what does the collective think about the Olympia AST Jacket???

Welcome to the forum.

You can meet a lot of fellow BMW riders at the Houston club's meetings. We meet the second Thursday of each month. Officially the meeting starts at 7:00, but a lot of us get there early to have dinner.

The club website is: http://www.bmwclub.org/

We also meet on Sunday mornings at a couple of locations. I'm normally at the Denny's on the north side of town.

Hope to see you at one of our meetings.

welcome jerbunch, know the area well..my sister lives in LaPorte and I worked for the Light Company during Alecia's blow thru in the 80's. Spent a lot of time in the Kemah/Seabrook/Shore Acres areas. Sorry you lost some bikes and I imagine more knowing the area. Is the Boardwalk back to "normal" yet?

Enjoy the RT and do a search in the Gear forum, as well as lot's of info in the Hexhead forum as well.

BTW, all the Olympia gear is top notch stuff. Have some 4 year old jacket and pants that still look like I just bought them...and they have had some wear and tear applied

Anyways...welcome to the party

Greetings from the Willowbrook area (south of Tomball). I have been riding since 1970, but - like you - bought my first BMW recently (Dec 08).

Hope to meet you - perhaps on a local ride.

Welcome to the forum Jerbunch - as others mentioned many sub forums to check out, other than your local regional, also take a peek at the DIY section in the Hexhead if you want to do any maintanence yourself. Post a quest or a ride report. Anyway lot's here , enjoy and come back often.

Welcome. Glad to have you here. Sorry to hear about the bikes lost in the storm. Bummer!

Great bunch of BMW owners in your area. Hook up with the local club and they will make you feel right at home.

Of course, I wear the AST Jacket and when I wear it I look like this:

mensasttouringjacket01.jpg

NOT :laugh:laugh:laugh

I don't wear the jacket but Olympia gear is good stuff.

Shoreacres was brutally hit by the storm -- I drove through checking on a property shortly after the storm and saw the devastation. Glad to hear you're recovering.

Welcome aboard -- you'll find there's a number of local folks on the forum -- a number that keeps growing. I've only been around the forum for a few months -- bought my first bmw last November.

My wife has an olympic mesh jacket and we both have the air glide mesh pants -- very nice gear.

Another Texan? Wow, you guys are thick on the ground here. Welcome! Good to have you in the club and good to hear you are riding again after what you went through. You will find great folks and lots of good info on this site.

Take a look at this thread, http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=31664&highlight=Olympia+AST in the gear forum. I found it by going to the "Gear" forum area and doing a search for Olympia AST. There are probably a lot more threads which include reviews of that jacket because i know it is a popular one here. (Where a Firstgear Killimanjaro myself :blush, which I like very much).

Welcome!

I am new to BMW also. Down in Clute Tx. Ride a R1200R 07. Always looking for riders in my area for weekend rides. Loved the Rally in TN by the way. Was my first. Roads are fantastic in that part of the country.

Jim

Shoreacres was brutally hit by the storm -- I drove through checking on a property shortly after the storm and saw the devastation. Glad to hear you're recovering.

Welcome aboard -- you'll find there's a number of local folks on the forum -- a number that keeps growing. I've only been around the forum for a few months -- bought my first bmw last November.

My wife has an olympic mesh jacket and we both have the air glide mesh pants -- very nice gear.

House had 30 inches of water in it, but luckily not much wind damage. Just got back in the house about a month ago... 8 months in a 28 foot travel trailer in the back yard was no picnic, but hey we are alive and well!!!!! Thanks for the concern and the shout out!