• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can anyone identify these?

D

DS74BMW

I picked these up at Mid Ohio swap meet Saturday with some assorted BMW parts. The cam disc differs from mine ['74 R60]; it is not like any shown on BMW Hucky's website. I sent Hans these pics, and he did not know, saying perhaps a BMW single application. The disc bore is .599" diameter [much larger than mine]. The two parts were taped together [tape was yellow and brittle], and marked "NOS".

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Throttle tube and cable pulling gear from an R100xx (T, RT, RS) circa 1981-1984 possibly others.

If you order the parts now, the top cover that has a single slothead screw has a different configuration. My throttle tube gear teeth were stripped by the PO and I bought a new one and gear with chain...which meant I had to buy a new top. All in all, the new one is a better design.

I think I still have the old top piece that would fit yours.

Throttle tube and cable pulling gear from an R100xx (T, RT, RS) circa 1981-1984 possibly others.

If you order the parts now, the top cover that has a single slothead screw has a different configuration. My throttle tube gear teeth were stripped by the PO and I bought a new one and gear with chain...which meant I had to buy a new top. All in all, the new one is a better design.

I think I still have the old top piece that would fit yours.

Thanks, AA.
My throttle gear teeth are quite worn as well - feels "notchy" as I turn the throttle. I'm looking to trade this set for a nice one that fits my R60/6.

The part numbers for these are 32 72 1 457 081 [cam disc], and 32 72 1 454 129 [twist gear]. For R100. I put these on flea market.

Thanks again, Annapolis.

It looks like that the throttle tube is used on just about any model /6 and on whereas the cam disc is limited to only R100 T/CS/RS/RT 1981 models and on.

I just pulled my throttle tube, and it looks just like the above; I then looked at the photos on Hucky's site, and really couldn't tell much difference, other than part nos..

Thanks for pointing that out, 20774.... It looks like all I need is the cam disc... I appreciate your keen eye!

R100 Throttle tube, cam and cam top

It looks like that the throttle tube is used on just about any model /6 and on whereas the cam disc is limited to only R100 T/CS/RS/RT 1981 models and on.

I think that sounds about right if I scratch my memory from the discussion I had at Bob's.

It went something like this, I cracked the throttle open as I left for a ride and it just slipped. Pulled the cam top off and could see the teeth on the tube were mashed and a little on the cam too. That's when I discovered that the new cam will not work on the old cam top--they actually moved some of the structure into the cam top cover (like the centering boss), so you need to buy a new top with the cam itself.

I think, but am not 100% certain that you could get by with just a new tube if that were your only problem. My cam teeth were also bad, so I had to get the top too.

Throttle Parts

Take a close look at the end of the chain where the throttle cable(s) would connect. There is only a single throttle cable nipple connection shown so I can only conclude this is from a single cylinder bike.

Take a close look at the end of the chain where the throttle cable(s) would connect. There is only a single throttle cable nipple connection shown so I can only conclude this is from a single cylinder bike.

Not at all, soemtime near 1981 (possibly a few years earlier), the twins went to a single cable to the throttle tube, with a splitter/barrel inder the tank that fed a cable to each carb. Standard from that point forward.

I realize that this is an older thread. However, I had just ordered and received the exact Cam Disc and Throttle tube. Now, the problem seems to be with the top plate and/or slotted screw.

Did anyone resolve this? What top cover is needed to make these work. The teeth on this combination in my existing housing do not seem to mesh well enough.

Old cam on the left; new cam on the right.

According to Hucky's, I believe the one on the left is 1975-1980. He lists different part numbers for 32 and 40mm carbs (Bing and Dells). The one on the right appears to be 1981-1984 and for 40mm Bings.

If you order a new cam, you need to order a new top. You can't mix old top with new cam gear, as you can see the difference in the center hold. I forget which is which, but one top has a larger boss that inserts into the larger holed cam.

I went through this on my '83 R100, fortunately (at the time) I lived 20 minutes from Bob's BMW). I still have the top from my old one if you want it cheap. PM if you do, but I'd go with a new top. Me likes new and shiny.:brow

As luck would have it, I was looking at these over on Max's fiche. They have a blurp that the new cam gear setup, which supercedes the smaller, requires a new top plate.

Tom

Back