• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I LOVE Sweet Corn

Au contraire! I have, on more than one occasion attended a "corn boil", whereat corn on the cob was boiled in large vats and then dipped in smaller vats of salted butter. The corn was not only the entree. It was in fact the complete meal including dessert.

Children of the 60s did a lot a crazy things. Was that dinner at Yasgur's farm?

Au contraire! I have, on more than one occasion attended a "corn boil", whereat corn on the cob was boiled in large vats and then dipped in smaller vats of salted butter. The corn was not only the entree. It was in fact the complete meal including dessert.

Yep :)

Children of the 60s did a lot a crazy things. Was that dinner at Yasgur's farm?

Nothing nearly so famous. Just a fairly typical corn belt get together at the peak of the harvest season. It might be at the fairgrounds, or the town square, or a church, or somebody's back yard. Often a corn boil was a fund raiser for the FFA or Scouts or the cheerleading squad.

I actually remember one at Granville Hustead's general store in Colony, Missouri from the (gasp) 1950s.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...f21faaa3c54bf0!8m2!3d40.2539287!4d-91.9907307

A strange but little known fact is that Granville Hustead who founded the general store at the now nearly defunct settlement of Colony, Missouri had a brother Ted who also founded a store 725 or so miles away - Wall Drug in South Dakota, on the way to Sturgis. And thus did the fame and fortune of the two brothers diverge.

Yes, but.......I doubt he eats it as an entree. Corn is a side dish. And, it aint Ice Cream.

Growing up Catholic in MN, we couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Mom would often make fresh sweet corn from the garden as the entree. It was delicious! I still make a meal of just sweet corn.

mmmmmmmm....

x3EJOCE.jpg

Growing up Catholic in MN, we couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Mom would often make fresh sweet corn from the garden as the entree. It was delicious! I still make a meal of just sweet corn.

The Land of a 1000 Lakes and you couldn't find a fish for Friday dinner?

Dinner last night was three ears of sweet and wine. Torn as to whether sweet corn is red or white wine meal; I went with red.

Dinner last night was three ears of sweet and wine. Torn as to whether sweet corn is red or white wine meal; I went with red.

Using polenta as the closest approximation to corn on the cob, several wine sites suggest anything from fruity white wine to Rose. However, a good German doesn't do corn (pig feed), so I choose not to list Reisling or Gewurztraminer. But, this isn't Germany, of course.

During one of tours in W. Germany we lived in a small farming village (Aurach) in Bavaria. We lived in two floors of a three story house that a farm family was building for their daughter. They had a plan. The father’s role was to die. Their son would inherit the farm house and move in with his soon to be selected wife. The daughter would get married and move into the space we were in and mom would live on the third floor. It a bad plan if you aren’t dad.

Mom kept a garden in our back yard and Annie asked if she could plant in a part of it. Frau Leise agreed, but was stunned when she learned corn was one of the crops. Mais!!! Sie essen Mais!?!? Of course, corn is fodder in Germany and not commonly eaten by people. When our small, in size and amount, harvest of corn came in we had the whole Leise family over for corn and ice cream. Germans tend to love our ice cream. They all tasted the corn and the kids seemed to like it. Mom and dad were apparently surprised that it tasted better than they anticipated, but couldn’t get past eating fodder. The ice cream was a big hit tho.

However, a good German doesn't do corn (pig feed), so I choose not to list Reisling or Gewurztraminer. But, this isn't Germany, of course.

Yet real German sausage is made with natural casing, go figure. :german

Reminds me of a true story from 35 yrs ago. A friend with whom I worked had made a batch of pickled beef heart and tongue, and it was ready to crack open. As we sat at his kitchen table enjoying the fare on saltine crackers his teenage daughter came home from school.
“What’s that?” she asked.
“Pickled heart,” said Rolly
“Eeewwww, I don’t want that—it’s had cow blood going through it!”
“How about some pickled tongue?” asked Rolly
“Eeewwww, that’s been in the cow’s mouth!”
“OK,” said Rolly, “can I cook you an egg?”

:D
DeVern

Sweet Corn

Made it to sweet corn patch today, 40 rows of yellow and white goodness555913E9-1E37-4BBC-A328-EAFE07B5E1D4.jpegDF2FA7B9-B325-45C8-8AFC-EA6462447518.jpegC9F24946-F615-4C18-91C7-77800BCE6488.jpeg

Guess what we are having for supper also a t bone and a potato

Using polenta as the closest approximation to corn on the cob, several wine sites suggest anything from fruity white wine to Rose. However, a good German doesn't do corn (pig feed), so I choose not to list Reisling or Gewurztraminer. But, this isn't Germany, of course.

After reading the guidelines for pairing wine with food (shown below), I am convinced that Miller Lite is the answer.

The wine should be more acidic than the food.
The wine should be sweeter than the food.
The wine should have the same flavor intensity as the food.
Red wines pair best with bold flavored meats (e.g. red meat).
White wines pair best with light-intensity meats (e.g. fish or chicken).
Bitter wines (e.g. red wines) are best balanced with fat.
It is better to match the wine with the sauce than with the meat.
More often than not, White, Sparkling and Rosé wines create contrasting pairings.
More often than not, Red wines will create congruent pairings.

After reading the guidelines for pairing wine with food (shown below), I am convinced that Miller Lite is the answer.

The wine should be more acidic than the food.
The wine should be sweeter than the food.
The wine should have the same flavor intensity as the food.
Red wines pair best with bold flavored meats (e.g. red meat).
White wines pair best with light-intensity meats (e.g. fish or chicken).
Bitter wines (e.g. red wines) are best balanced with fat.
It is better to match the wine with the sauce than with the meat.
More often than not, White, Sparkling and Rosé wines create contrasting pairings.
More often than not, Red wines will create congruent pairings.

Marketing, all the better to sell more wine. Nowhere did I see what to do with Peach wine, Dandelion Wine, or Mad Dog 2020.

Beer is by far the better drink to pair food with. There are far more flavours and textures than wine to work with. The wine nerds like to cry foul but most of them don't know a thing about beer so what do they know? I have written many beer pairings but now I mostly just write them for our local cheese club and their monthly orders. MMMMM...cheese!

Beer is by far the better drink to pair food with. There are far more flavours and textures than wine to work with. The wine nerds like to cry foul but most of them don't know a thing about beer so what do they know? I have written many beer pairings but now I mostly just write them for our local cheese club and their monthly orders. MMMMM...cheese!

Wesleydale?

Back