Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: I LOVE Sweet Corn

There is still a small amount of wild salmon harvested here but the stocks have been hit hard. My buddy does cod, crab and lobster. He gave us a bag of crab this year, we had a feed! We buy fresh and salt cod from him to keep us going through the winter.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Lobster in the corn thread?
    Lobsters eat all the dead, rotting stuff off the ocean floor.
    OM
    When you think about it ............... most all meat is from a bottom feeder.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Point missed I was hoping to keep the 10 year old Sweet Corn thread on Sweet Corn
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I just picked 2 dozen ears of "peaches and cream" sweet corn. Yellow and white kernels. My home town has a Sweetcorn festival, except when there's Covid. 🙁

So far almost everybody has missed the point: Lee lives in south central Iowa within rock throwing distance of corn fields and gardens, many of which have growing therein the finest sweet corn known to mankind. When he says he loves sweet corn he knows about that which he speaks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    So far almost everybody has missed the point: Lee lives in south central Iowa within rock throwing distance of corn fields and gardens, many of which have growing therein the finest sweet corn known to mankind. When he says he loves sweet corn he knows about that which he speaks.
    Yes, but.......I doubt he eats it as an entree. Corn is a side dish. And, it aint Ice Cream.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Yes, but.......I doubt he eats it as an entree. Corn is a side dish. And, it aint Ice Cream.
    A very limited point of view.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    A very limited point of view.
    Excluding the 1.5-lane road passing in front of the house, I was raised in a house surrounded by fields. Depending on year (i.e. crop rotation) you could either see the neighbors or a wall of corn. When it was a wall of corn, somewhere in those fields was planted several rows of sweet corn which were either eaten off the cob, canned or sold. I don't recall corn being an entree......
    Last edited by 36654; 08-09-2020 at 09:05 PM.

I don't recall corn being an entree......
    Au contraire! I have, on more than one occasion attended a "corn boil", whereat corn on the cob was boiled in large vats and then dipped in smaller vats of salted butter. The corn was not only the entree. It was in fact the complete meal including dessert.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Au contraire! I have, on more than one occasion attended a "corn boil", whereat corn on the cob was boiled in large vats and then dipped in smaller vats of salted butter. The corn was not only the entree. It was in fact the complete meal including dessert.
    Bingo!
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.

I'm just a few counties east of Lee, in Lee County, Iowa. We raise a bit of corn too.

Children of the 60s did a lot a crazy things. Was that dinner at Yasgur's farm?

Yep
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Children of the 60s did a lot a crazy things. Was that dinner at Yasgur's farm?
    Nothing nearly so famous. Just a fairly typical corn belt get together at the peak of the harvest season. It might be at the fairgrounds, or the town square, or a church, or somebody's back yard. Often a corn boil was a fund raiser for the FFA or Scouts or the cheerleading squad.

I actually remember one at Granville Hustead's general store in Colony, Missouri from the (gasp) 1950s.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-91.9907307

A strange but little known fact is that Granville Hustead who founded the general store at the now nearly defunct settlement of Colony, Missouri had a brother Ted who also founded a store 725 or so miles away - Wall Drug in South Dakota, on the way to Sturgis. And thus did the fame and fortune of the two brothers diverge.

Growing up Catholic in MN, we couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Mom would often make fresh sweet corn from the garden as the entree. It was delicious! I still make a meal of just sweet corn.