• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I LOVE Sweet Corn

Sweet corn robbers

Sweet corn is awesome. We had 100 plants coming along nicely. Planted, weeded, watered all summer. Had 4 ears. Darn racoons got the rest over two nights. Next year, electric fence and webbing. Gotta buy it this year from a local farmer. Dang.

Jerry

Sweet corn is awesome. We had 100 plants coming along nicely. Planted, weeded, watered all summer. Had 4 ears. Darn racoons got the rest over two nights. Next year, electric fence and webbing. Gotta buy it this year from a local farmer. Dang.

Jerry

Usually, it's a race between the raccoons and the deer. If you plant the sweet corn in the middle of a field corn patch, you'll get some protection.

Jerry

Where is the trade off between the expense for planting and fall clean up, fencing and a electric fence control?

might be less money to keep buying from the local farmer.

More Corn

2 friends picked more corn today, I got a 60 quart cooler full of schucked corn and an Indian got more than that :)

B0CABF02-29EC-4CEA-9314-0AE654915049.jpg6245895C-6C8E-47AB-A1EA-F3880091AEE3.jpeg

The duffel bag on seat, both saddle bags and the top case all full of corn

Final count loaded Indian 120 ears of sweet corn

Last edited:
That's what we used to do...

Usually, it's a race between the raccoons and the deer. If you plant the sweet corn in the middle of a field corn patch, you'll get some protection.

We never had much luck growing sweet corn in its own patch. Then we started planting it among the rest of the field corn; 2 or 4 rows of sweet corn surrounded on both sides by field corn. Amazingly, the raccoons would eventually find it, but we'd usually have an opportunity to harvest a lot of it by then.

'Tis the season, for sure. We have a lot of opportunity to buy from local farmers that have roadside stands, or farmer's markets, or even some grocery stores have locally grown sweet corn.

I grew up on a farm in Central Illinois and my dad grew sweet corn every year for the local Stokely Van Camp processing plant.

One year, the Stokely company decided to shoot a TV ad and selected my dad's field as the backdrop to shoot the ad. It was pretty exciting for him when the filming crew showed up and began setting up all the cameras, sound, lighting, etc. He recalled humorously for years watching the New York based model/spokeswoman trying to pick her way through the field in a pair of high heels that would have been more at home on a fashion show runway than the middle of an Illinois corn field.

I grew up on a farm in Central Illinois and my dad grew sweet corn every year for the local Stokely Van Camp processing plant.

One year, the Stokely company decided to shoot a TV ad and selected my dad's field as the backdrop to shoot the ad. It was pretty exciting for him when the filming crew showed up and began setting up all the cameras, sound, lighting, etc. He recalled humorously for years watching the New York based model/spokeswoman trying to pick her way through the field in a pair of high heels that would have been more at home on a fashion show runway than the middle of an Illinois corn field.

They don't do that to be silly. They do it because it sells stuff. Which makes the consuming public the fools in my opinion. YMMV.

In my neck of the woods "Snyders" corn is the sweetest most delectable tasting around, thing is, everyone else around here knows it as well. If the corns not ready to be harvested, you sometimes miss out on it and have to wait until another field is ready to be plucked. An alternative I found was Cranstons in another nearby town, and I have to admit, twas tasty !!

CORN.jpg

some facts about corn

The USA plants enough corn to cover the state of Montana.
Only 1% of corn in the USA is sweet corn!:thumb

The USA plants enough corn to cover the state of Montana.
Only 1% of corn in the USA is sweet corn!:thumb

I think I just saw that on Sunday Morning show. Interesting history on corn and it’s place in cultures. :thumb
OM

Back