Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I quit smoking

Rally Rat

I quit smoking

After 40 plus years of this terrible addiction, I'm on my 10th day of nicotine free. I was raised in a "blue collar" home. My parents smoked as well as my aunts and uncles. Seems like everyone smoked back then. Cigarette advertisements were aimed straight at me. I even remember Fred and Barney lighting up on a Flintstones commercial. I can't believe these things are legal to sell. What am I going to do with all this extra money?

MB

On the Road

Talking Beer

Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb921 View Post
    After 40 plus years of this terrible addiction, I'm on my 10th day of nicotine free. I was raised in a "blue collar" home. My parents smoked as well as my aunts and uncles. Seems like everyone smoked back then. Cigarette advertisements were aimed straight at me. I even remember Fred and Barney lighting up on a Flintstones commercial. I can't believe these things are legal to sell. What am I going to do with all this extra money?

MB
    Congrats, I hope you can make it stick. It's tough. The thing that got me through (I quit 37 years ago) was realizing that quitting didn't mean I didn't want a cigarette - it just meant I didn't smoke one. Stick with it!
    Dan

What am I going to do with all this extra money?
    Hypnosis?
    Seriously, I wish I had your discipline. Good on ya and good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Congrats, I hope you can make it stick. It's tough. The thing that got me through (I quit 37 years ago) was realizing that quitting didn't mean I didn't want a cigarette - it just meant I didn't smoke one. Stick with it!
    MB,

Once you spend days, weeks and months not even thinking about the affair you had with nicotene, then your getting there. It takes a long time for nicotene to get out of your system,(months) and even longer to get out of your head.(year or more) I dont really remember when I quit, but it's been years. I smoked cigars and alternated with chewing Copenhagen, so I speak as an EX pert on the subject of nicotene withdrawl.

You never outgrow the love of the buzz ol Nic'gave you, you just find out youre happier not lighting up- today. Don't worry about tomorrow, just resolve to NOT PUFF each day.

belquar
    What am I going to do with all this extra money?

MB
    I think if you run the numbers you will find that what you spent on smokes is the same as a nice new bike payment.

BUBBAZANETTI
    hang in there. i bought my last pack at the rally (they were less than half what they cost in NYC) and finished the last one in it last Wed night. i've always been more of a social smoker, never during the day, at work or even at night if i'm just home, pack a week, maybe, kinda guy. certain things, oddly enough, riding and camping etc, obv having a few beers with friends usually were what did it (most of you who've met me probably think i'm a regular smoker). Have not had a smoke now in nearly 5 days and it feels better than it has before when i tried. It helps to not be in situations that prompt it. I think i'll be reclusive and stay home for another 4 or five days, i find there's a bad 3 day hump, then another about a week out, i've quit for months at a time before and i feel it's less of an addiction than it is a social obligation/something to keep my hands busy.

I quit in 02. Don't even think about it now. Hang in there it does get easier.

I stopped using Skoal on November 6th 2007. Smartest thing I've done in awhile. Congrats to those trying to kick tobacco. There are drugs available now to help you quit (Chantix™). I used Chantix and it made quitting much less difficult. I tried multiple times before and failed. With the prescription drugs it was fairly easy.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

I quit a pack and a half a day habits 27 years ago still have that urge when talking about it like this but I never will again.

Tooth picks and sunflower seed‘«÷s helped me through still do the tooth picks probably get Dutch Elm disease...

Keep at it... you be glad you did I have yet to hear someone say Man I wish I still smoked.!!!!!!!
    R and R

From MARS
    And, don't ever think you can have just one! I quit for 15 1/2 years, ran three marathons, and was so healthy I was sickening. Then, in a moment of weakness after a long day at work and while sharing a beer with the guys, I had one. Big mistake!

Tom

I quit 4/15/92. Realized it wasn't that I wanted a cig, but I NEEDED one. It controlled
    me instead of the other way around. Plus, the only other guy at work that smoked was
    a real A--hole. Made it a little easier.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

My late stepdad quit around 1950 while he was in the Navy. The way he told it, one day he was standing at the rail about to light up but knowing that he really should quit. He paused for a sec, looked at his pack of cigs and said, "who's bigger, me or you?" and promptly threw them overboard. With the answer obvious, he never smoked again.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    My late stepdad quit around 1950 while he was in the Navy. The way he told it, one day he was standing at the rail about to light up but knowing that he really should quit. He paused for a sec, looked at his pack of cigs and said, "who's bigger, me or you?" and promptly threw them overboard. With the answer obvious, he never smoked again.
    cool attitude for 1950, prior to any real health studies.

i think for me, that's more than half of it. sure, health affects are awful, but the "control" aspect is what really bugged me more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    cool attitude for 1950, prior to any real health studies.

i think for me, that's more than half of it. sure, health affects are awful, but the "control" aspect is what really bugged me more than anything.
    I know people who smoke while drinking only, then can set them down for week? or two? or longer..

I know a guy who only smokes when he's fishing. These guys are not addicted to nicotene like me.

As far as how close can you go to screwing it up...DONT GO THERE

I had an opportunity to buy some real cubanos for the rally, cause I know a few of you enjoy a good cigar...I even had a passing fancy imagning me standing around puffing one with you all and had every intention of doing it...

Then I came to my senses that I am but a nicotene addict , and one puff all these years later would hit me like a brick, and I would be right back to where I left off a decade or more ago.