• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I quit smoking

mikeb921

After 40 plus years of this terrible addiction, I'm on my 10th day of nicotine free. I was raised in a "blue collar" home. My parents smoked as well as my aunts and uncles. Seems like everyone smoked back then. Cigarette advertisements were aimed straight at me. I even remember Fred and Barney lighting up on a Flintstones commercial. I can't believe these things are legal to sell. What am I going to do with all this extra money?

MB

After 40 plus years of this terrible addiction, I'm on my 10th day of nicotine free. I was raised in a "blue collar" home. My parents smoked as well as my aunts and uncles. Seems like everyone smoked back then. Cigarette advertisements were aimed straight at me. I even remember Fred and Barney lighting up on a Flintstones commercial. I can't believe these things are legal to sell. What am I going to do with all this extra money?

MB

Congrats, I hope you can make it stick. It's tough. The thing that got me through (I quit 37 years ago) was realizing that quitting didn't mean I didn't want a cigarette - it just meant I didn't smoke one. Stick with it!

Congrats, I hope you can make it stick. It's tough. The thing that got me through (I quit 37 years ago) was realizing that quitting didn't mean I didn't want a cigarette - it just meant I didn't smoke one. Stick with it!

MB,

Once you spend days, weeks and months not even thinking about the affair you had with nicotene, then your getting there. It takes a long time for nicotene to get out of your system,(months) and even longer to get out of your head.(year or more) I dont really remember when I quit, but it's been years. I smoked cigars and alternated with chewing Copenhagen, so I speak as an EX pert on the subject of nicotene withdrawl.

You never outgrow the love of the buzz ol Nic'gave you, you just find out youre happier not lighting up- today. Don't worry about tomorrow, just resolve to NOT PUFF each day.

hang in there. i bought my last pack at the rally (they were less than half what they cost in NYC:laugh) and finished the last one in it last Wed night. i've always been more of a social smoker, never during the day, at work or even at night if i'm just home, pack a week, maybe, kinda guy. certain things, oddly enough, riding and camping etc, obv having a few beers with friends usually were what did it (most of you who've met me probably think i'm a regular smoker). Have not had a smoke now in nearly 5 days and it feels better than it has before when i tried. It helps to not be in situations that prompt it. I think i'll be reclusive and stay home for another 4 or five days, i find there's a bad 3 day hump, then another about a week out, i've quit for months at a time before and i feel it's less of an addiction than it is a social obligation/something to keep my hands busy.

I stopped using Skoal on November 6th 2007. Smartest thing I've done in awhile. Congrats to those trying to kick tobacco. There are drugs available now to help you quit (Chantix™). I used Chantix and it made quitting much less difficult. I tried multiple times before and failed. With the prescription drugs it was fairly easy.

I quit a pack and a half a day habits 27 years ago still have that urge when talking about it like this but I never will again.

Tooth picks and sunflower seedÔÇÖs helped me through still do the tooth picks probably get Dutch Elm disease...

Keep at it... you be glad you did I have yet to hear someone say Man I wish I still smoked.!!!!!!!

And, don't ever think you can have just one! I quit for 15 1/2 years, ran three marathons, and was so healthy I was sickening. Then, in a moment of weakness after a long day at work and while sharing a beer with the guys, I had one. Big mistake!

Tom

I quit 4/15/92. Realized it wasn't that I wanted a cig, but I NEEDED one. It controlled
me instead of the other way around. Plus, the only other guy at work that smoked was
a real A--hole. Made it a little easier.

My late stepdad quit around 1950 while he was in the Navy. The way he told it, one day he was standing at the rail about to light up but knowing that he really should quit. He paused for a sec, looked at his pack of cigs and said, "who's bigger, me or you?" and promptly threw them overboard. With the answer obvious, he never smoked again.

My late stepdad quit around 1950 while he was in the Navy. The way he told it, one day he was standing at the rail about to light up but knowing that he really should quit. He paused for a sec, looked at his pack of cigs and said, "who's bigger, me or you?" and promptly threw them overboard. With the answer obvious, he never smoked again.

cool attitude for 1950, prior to any real health studies.

i think for me, that's more than half of it. sure, health affects are awful, but the "control" aspect is what really bugged me more than anything.

cool attitude for 1950, prior to any real health studies.

i think for me, that's more than half of it. sure, health affects are awful, but the "control" aspect is what really bugged me more than anything.

I know people who smoke while drinking only, then can set them down for week? or two? or longer..

I know a guy who only smokes when he's fishing. These guys are not addicted to nicotene like me.

As far as how close can you go to screwing it up...DONT GO THERE

I had an opportunity to buy some real cubanos for the rally, cause I know a few of you enjoy a good cigar...I even had a passing fancy imagning me standing around puffing one with you all and had every intention of doing it...

Then I came to my senses that I am but a nicotene addict , and one puff all these years later would hit me like a brick, and I would be right back to where I left off a decade or more ago.

Then I came to my senses that I am but a nicotene addict , and one puff all these years later would hit me like a brick, and I would be right back to where I left off a decade or more ago.

I know better than to think I could even attempt another cigarette or puff without going right back to my addiction. The web site Whyquit.com is my daily read. Without it, I doubt I would have made it this far. Nicotine is one of the most addicting substances on the planet. It really sucks. Good luck to all who try to defeat it.

MB

Good luck - you really can do it!

I quit a 2 pack-a-day habit in '81; for me hypnosis was almost like magic. After trying various approaches to quitting I walked out of the hypnosis session and haven't had the urge for a cigarette since. Try it if you struggle.

Geoff

I on the other hand . . . have not.

Send me your PM's and I'll give you a mailing address. Let's not be wasteful with those last half packs - full packs, half cartons, whatever!

it is a pain. i quit for 5 years. found myself dreaming about it and waking up in a panic. like the others said, if you want to stick to not smoking, don't kid yourself thinking you can have one. i have since then had "that one" and I'm waiting on the coffee to finish perking. Stick with it, it's worth it. Smoking is a goofy habit. And to think of all the things that have bans and regulations on them, these things are still out there. Too much of a money maker.

I know better than to think I could even attempt another cigarette or puff without going right back to my addiction. The web site Whyquit.com is my daily read. Without it, I doubt I would have made it this far. Nicotine is one of the most addicting substances on the planet. It really sucks. Good luck to all who try to defeat it.

MB

Thanks for the web site.

Back