• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New rear tire on the 12GS (ran over a screw), and the bike's tire history

mistercindy

My bike was turning and leaning terribly yesterday morning, so when I got home I checked the tires' pressure and the rear had less than 15 PSI! :uhoh I aired it up to 40 psi, then rotated it slowly and there it was: an imbedded phillips style screw head. The only question was how long was the screw. I figured I could make it to the dealership some 15 miles away, so off I went.

Interestingly, in 30 years of motorcycle riding I've never had a flat for running over a screw or nail, etc... Lots of flats for running over such things in my cars, but never on a bike.

It was an old style Metzler Tourance that had 7,035 miles on it. It had a good 2,000 miles of tread left, but that was the screw's decision, not mine. I'd have probably replaced it at my next service in ~ 1,700 miles amyway, but I still can't stand wasting a couple thousand miles of good rubber. Anyway, I had it replaced it with another old style Tourance as I've done well with them.

I bought the bike used with ~12,050 miles on it on October 22, 2005. If you're interested, here's the tire history for my 2005 R12GS:

Rear tires:
  • Bridgestone BT020 (new tire when I bought the bike on 10/22/05) - 6,843 miles
  • Bridgestone BT020 (installed on 05/05/06) - 6,632 miles
  • Avon ST AV46 (installed on 3/10/07 ) - 7,891 miles (should've been replaced 500+ miles earlier)
  • Metzler Tourance (installed on 10/31/07) - 7,387 miles
  • Metzler Tourance (installed on 6/23/08) - 10,616 miles (should've been replaced 1000 miles earlier)
  • Metzler Tourance (installed on 2/13/09) - 7,035 miles (premature death because I ran over a screw)
  • Metzler Tourance (installed yesterday, 7/25/09)
Front tires:
  • Bridgestone BT020 (new tire when I bought the bike on 10/22/05) - 6,843 miles (stupidly replaced it when I replaced the rear even though it had a lot of tread left on it)
  • Bridgestone BT020 (installed on 05/05/06) - 10,833 miles
  • Avon Roadrider (installed on 05/06/07) - 21,693 miles (good tread left - replaced due to weather cracking)
  • Metzler Tourance (installed on 2/13/09) - so far with ~7,090 miles and it looks perfect

07' gs

Any idea why BMW moved to the Michelin tires for the 07' GS? My front tire is developing some wierd wear patterns with 8K on the odometer.

Perhaps they got a deal. :dunno Go to your dealer and take a look at the bikes on the sales floor. Often you'll find 3 or 4 different tires mounted on what is otherwise the same model bike. Don't know why.

To compare my R1200GS tire use to mistercindy's

Front:
  • Dunlop lasted 11818 miles
  • Tourance lasted 11854 miles
  • Anakee lasted 7516 miles with lots of life left
  • TKC-80 lasted 9933 miles

Rear:
  • Dunlop lasted 6837 miles
  • Tourance lasted 9242 miles
  • Tourance lasted 10778 miles
  • Tourance lasted 9441 miles
  • Tourance lasted 10,730 miles (steel was just starting to show :eek)

I currently have a TKC-80 on the front and a Trail Attack on the rear.

Michelin?

My '07 came with Bridgestone BattleWings and that's what I've seen on every new non-Adventure GS since.

Any idea why BMW moved to the Michelin tires for the 07' GS? My front tire is developing some wierd wear patterns with 8K on the odometer.
I don't know the answer. I've never asked about the tires on a bike at the dealership. I ride 'em until they need replacing, then I use what I want.

Perhaps they got a deal. :dunno Go to your dealer and take a look at the bikes on the sales floor. Often you'll find 3 or 4 different tires mounted on what is otherwise the same model bike. Don't know why.
I've noticed that, too. One of life's mysteries.

To compare my R1200GS tire use to mistercindy's

Front:
  • Dunlop lasted 11818 miles
  • Tourance lasted 11854 miles
  • Anakee lasted 7516 miles with lots of life left
  • TKC-80 lasted 9933 miles

Rear:
  • Dunlop lasted 6837 miles
  • Tourance lasted 9242 miles
  • Tourance lasted 10778 miles
  • Tourance lasted 9441 miles
  • Tourance lasted 10,730 miles (steel was just starting to show :eek)

I currently have a TKC-80 on the front and a Trail Attack on the rear.
I'm amazed that you got nearly the same mileage from both your front and rear Tourance. Any explanation? Or is that just the way they rolled?

I'm amazed that you got nearly the same mileage from both your front and rear Tourance. Any explanation? Or is that just the way they rolled?

No explanation - I remember that the tire was pretty cupped at the end. Also I think I run with less air pressure than most. I use what the tire manufacturer recommends. From what I read it sounds like most folks run with more pressure in the hopes of getting longer tire life. Long tire life is not my primary concern.

More Pressure Off-Road = Less Punctures, Less Rim Damage

No explanation - I remember that the tire was pretty cupped at the end. Also I think I run with less air pressure than most. I use what the tire manufacturer recommends. [ From what I read it sounds like most folks run with more pressure in the hopes of getting longer tire life. Long tire life is not my primary concern.
[/COLOR]
I run 37 psi front / 42 psi rear in TKCs..almost all off-road riding...only need to drop pressure for deep sand or long areas of mud...

Higher pressure = few punctures, less chance rim damage and increased load capacity....anyway that is what I do...I also would never mix tire types front to rear...but again that is just what I do...

Bike came with OEM Battlewings...very good 80/20 tires but I needed and got in the TKCs a 10/90 tire...

Back