Thread: R1200RT need advice on replacing 194 parking light bulbs

Red Aero

R1200RT need advice on replacing 194 parking light bulbs

I washed my bike after the rally and both 194 parking light bulbs went out. I've replaced the headlamps a couple times with no problem. Can someone pass along tribal knowledge on accessing the parking light bulbs? Its not covered in my '05 manual. Thx

Welcome to the forum SilverAero

You have found the Hexhead forum - one of my favorites

Plenty of good stuff here - dont forget to check the other sub-forums for great information, and sharing.

OK back to your question:

I don't have my manual anymore but here is a picture of the cover of where the 194 bulbs are located.

Shown is the throttle side, it would symetrical for the clutch side.

One thing to be aware is this picture is from the Nacelle removal DIY so i have the front end partially disassembled.

So when you go back to your bike you will see where they will be located to replace, at minimum you will need to pop off the mirrors to access.

Any additonal questions please ask - there is a wholel bunch of people waiting to help you.

Regards

Luis

2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Rally Rat
    Remove the mirror on the appropriate side. Just pull firmly to remove.

You may also need to remove the two phillips head screws to remove the trim panel. Be careful as the trim will just fall off when the screws are removed.

Does that XM antenna actually work mounted in that location???

TourNut
    If you swap #194 bulbs that are 2 candlepower with #168 bulbs that are 3 candlepower, you will get 50% more light , doesn't require much more power, either with such small output bulbs. Ones I put in tail lamps of my Transport are still same ones after 17 years. I'm a 20 1/2 year automotive lamp designer.

Quote Originally Posted by lensuz View Post
    Does that XM antenna actually work mounted in that location???
    Yes it does - the covering of the bike (plastic) is transparent to the XM signals
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Red Aero

thanks Luis (Semper Fi)

Thanks everyone for the info/input, I really appreciate it and changed the bulbs very quickly with no problems. The socket is actually a little to the outboard side from the item (cap) circled in red. Of course I had to go for a ride to make sure everything works. Great idea mounting the XM. I've been to the forum to research and performed all maintenance myself with no issues. This was the first time I posted a question (forum virgin). I'm very impressed with you all, such a great community. Enjoy the ride!! Thanks again.

This is to a job well done
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator