Thread: Hyper Lights on R1200RT

Hyper Lights on R1200RT

I'm planning to install Hyper-Lights on my '06 R1200RT. These lights will simply, if this is possible, attach to the + and - wires at the brake lights. This should not be a problem but I still have a lot to learn regarding the electrics on the newer R models. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

I tried to get information from Hyper lights and how they work with the canbus and tapping into the brake light wires. They did not answer directly and mentioned having to run a relay for them from somewhere on the bike. ????

I decided to go with the P3 lights which were designed to be compatible with the canbus. They work great, are insanely bright, work as a tail light and the customer service is great.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Hyperlights, This might help.

I cut a pasted, another members post concerning a different subject, but thought it might steer you in the right direction.......see below

Look for the circular cover that spins off to expose where a BMW technician would hook up their proprietary computer for a diagnostic check.

Take that entire housing off (two screws) and inside will be a black/yellow wire. Tap into that for your relay..........CANbus is not in any way wired into this, so no faults to read, and the fuse block will go 'on & off' with the ignition.

Used this to install hyperlites..........works great, and CANbus doesn't know you're there!
    Good Luck.
    Iron Butt Member # 34281
    Lee
    Oxygen Masks Just Muffle the Screams..
    1976 BMW R75/6, 1978 Wing, 1981 Kawi 1000LTD, 1983 Honda CB1000C, 2002 Concours, 2005 BMW R1200RT

I looked under that cover yesterday, looking for a place to tap my switched fuse block into. There wasn't a black and yellow wire in there. YEMV

Rubber down.
    RichW
    2007 R12RT
    DS/DS, OEF, OIF

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by rich223vt View Post
    I looked under that cover yesterday, looking for a place to tap my switched fuse block into. There wasn't a black and yellow wire in there. YEMV

Rubber down.
    Call Hyper-Lites on Monday.....ask for RON. They changed color coding for '07.

He will steer you to the correct wire for a relay.

Good Luck!

PlaneGeek
    I installed hyper lite brake and turn signals on my '08 RT. With the instructions provided by the company installation was a breeze.

I then tried to install the HL's using a different power source. The saddle spades were too small for the stock spade conections. WTH?? PITA!!!
    Rubber down.
    RichW
    2007 R12RT
    DS/DS, OEF, OIF

I installed hyper lights on my 05 1200RT and they connected to the tail light using spade connectors. I didn't have to tap into the CANBUS at all.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

TONY2733

Hyper lights

I did the same, tap into the brake lights, I took the option of mounting the two 16 light leds inside the RT brake lens, slip them through the exisiting bulb hole a little silicone adh. and mount them inside to the top inside of the lens.
    They look sharp as they are hidden and do not interfear with the exisitng bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tony2733 View Post
    I did the same, tap into the brake lights, I took the option of mounting the two 16 light leds inside the RT brake lens, slip them through the exisiting bulb hole a little silicone adh. and mount them inside to the top inside of the lens.
    They look sharp as they are hidden and do not interfear with the exisitng bulbs.
    Hmmmm... sounds interesting

Post a pic or 2?

Dmilan

Mounted my P3 lights across the bottom of my license plate. This way I have two tail lights mounted apart from each other which should mean better visibility from behind since they are on all the time. When the brakes come on, they are far enough apart that one brake light does not get lost in the other. Others who have follwed me say it is a great set up, very visible and very bright when the brakes are hit.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White

I am interested in the P3 lights for my R1200RT. The one issue I am concerned about is any RFI (radio frequency interference) generated by these units. I run the Garmin 550, Bluetooth phone, J&M CB/amplifier. All of this works well with no electrical noise. Will the P3 start a problem with these device's clarity? Anyone running the P3 with similar radio gear have experience in this regard?

Thanks
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

I dont run anything like that on my GS, but if ask the guy at P3 he may be able to tell you. Very nice fellow and great customer service.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White

I did send him that question and got a fast reply. He states it will not introduce and radio noise. I will take him at his word unless I hear a user state otherwise. I had another question and he was quick again with a reply. He does seem helpful and friendly.
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun