• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Performance awards at the Rally

Damn Randy, THAT SUCKS! Glad to hear that The Family came through though and made sure that you were taken care of. Hope you feel better soon, and I hope you'll be riding again soon too.

Randy!
Day'm!! I am so happy to hear you survived, we can always buy more stuff, right?
You take care now, hea'h?

HTML:
Got nailed about 30 minutes after crossing into Tennessee. I was passing a fully-loaded logging truck that was in the right (slow) lane going uphill. I was clocked doing 64 in a 50 zone. Fine's $143. I was riding two-up at the time. He said he could have nailed me for crossing a solid line as I completed my pass as the two right lanes merged into one. He was nice enough about it, but it seemed a little expensive. When he was finished with the paperwork he said, "you must be headed for that big BMW rally in Johnson City". I wonder how many times he got to use that one.

That is a Bullshit ticket if I ever heard one. You were making a quick safe pass so that you would not have to follow an overloaded truck up a hill. Yeah that would have been much safer. Are tickets about safety or money? My bet is on money!

BTW I spent 2 weeks on the road between the MOA and RA Rallies and the only performance award I recieved was a kidney punch from my new Mrs. after one particuarly aggressive pass in WV. The red steaks in my urine reminded me to be more careful fromow on at least when she is on board! LOL

Rick G

HTML:

That is a Bullshit ticket if I ever heard one. You were making a quick safe pass so that you would not have to follow an overloaded truck up a hill. Yeah that would have been much safer. Are tickets about safety or money? My bet is on money!
Rick G

When you have multiple violations and you only get one ticket, you should be thankful. Many will give all of the tickets to out of state riders because they know they will not come back hundreds or thousands of miles to contest them.

Last summer, we were giving some folks from New Mexico and Texas the "four state ride" (it's only three states from my house) when one pulled out in a left turn lane to pass a car as we approached a small town. A State Trooper was sitting beside the road at that point and had no choice but to pull him over as there were multiple witnesses. He gave the BMW rider a choice of the ticket he would receive. He could choose between speeding, reckless driving or improper useage of a lane. He then explained the consequences of each and the rider chose the speeding ticket (much slower than his actual speed).

Randy,
Where did this happen?

We are at my inlaws just north of Morgantown and there was a picture in the local paper with a blurb about a motorcycle accident. It didn't really give specifics but it looked like a BMW laying on it's side. Couldn't tell the model tho.

Glad you are doing ok.

W Va Hwy 32 just north of Canaan Valley State Park, about 1-2 miles. Also found out the GS is totalled, along with the Explorer, but I was the only injury. So now let the fun and games begin. Everybody be careful out there.

No citation, but the bike(or what's left of the GS) is still in West Virginia. I got to fly home. Actually took 4 flights this week - first was over the bars and car that was stopped waiting to make a left turn just past the crest of a blind hill. Never saw it. Then the medevac flight, ~75 miles to the nearest trauma center. Released later that evening, bumps, bruises, and fractured pelvis. I'm up and vertical and able to walk and talk, just slowly and stiff. Then managed to get all my stuff found and shipped, then 2 flights to get home. Not a fun vacation. HOWEVER, I am humbled by the response of everybody I came into contact with afterwards, from the RA folks who found volunteers to drive the 75 miles to get me (in the dark dodging deer, on those delightful 2-lane mountain roads), to the folks who set up a bed in their cabin so I wouldn't have to sleep in my tent in my condition, to the kind lady who had parked her bike at her motel 30 miles away and had a rental car and put it and herself at my disposal and drove me the 3 hours to the airport, and I could go on. These are/were some of the same folks who were at the MOA rally. I often tell new members, "welcome to my family!" Well, this family came through for me, and I can't say Thank You to all of them, because that just doesn't make it. There's so much more. I can only hope that I can be of some service to them or anybody else in the future, and keep the karma going.

Ride safe!

Randy

Randy is doing well. He came limping by to speak with me after I finished teaching a Basic Rider Course (MSF) last Saturday @ Lakeshore Technical College in Manitowoc County. He's stiff, but has his wits about him! He even spoke to our students and a class of perspective RiderCoaches about how thankful he was to be wearing helmet and protective clothing.

Here's hoping you heal fast!! ;)

Yo Randy!

Tell us about your ATGATT and the dent you put in the car. I'm certain a lesser rider would have received much worse injureis or .... I think there can be some good come from you telling people about the wreck. :lurk

HJC AC-15 helmet, Roadcrafter 2-piece, boots from the BMW dealer, and I forget what gloves I was wearing, as I had 2 pair with me. Stan, you and the others in the cabin examined the 'stich before it got packed. As far as what really happened, I have my ideas, but preferto wait until everything sorts out. I remember watching with eyes wide open, and then there's that time compression thing and I'm not sure what happened in what order. I was conscious all the time. I got lucky, no doubt about it.

Not a performance award from the local gendarme, but a new record for me new to worn out in 3 days. Should be a new award category, for stimulating the economy and tire makers.

Tires had 100 miles on them when I showed up in JC on Monday night, these were taken on Thursday night, luckily I brought some replacements.

DSCN1885(1).JPG

Makeshift tire changing station

DSCN1882(1).JPG

Not a performance award from the local gendarme, but a new record for me new to worn out in 3 days. Should be a new award category, for stimulating the economy and tire makers.

welcome to the appalachian mountains in the SOUTH! :ha

welcome to the appalachian mountains in the SOUTH! :ha

Believe me I know, Had to get a new tire on the road before the Georgia Mountain Rally, as the near new BT-016 evaporated in 5 days. So far this year I have left 2-1/2 sets of rubber in NC/GA/VA/TN and the other 1/2 set in New England.

Back