• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Best Operating RPMs

C

CptnHornblower

I bought a new K1200GT a few months ago. I followed the instructions in the manual regarding the first 600 miles and got the first service done.

I've been told that the K engines like to be run in the 4 to 8K range to minimize engine wear. I've also read that running high RPMs is hard on the top of the engine and that running low RPMs is hard on the lower half of the engine.

So what's up? I like the fuel economy I get running along in the 3 to 4K range, but is that bad for the engine?

Hey Captain,

First of all, welcome!

It helps everyone if you put bike details in the signature section of you profile (look at the bottom of my post)

If it is a new K1200 and not just new to you, you will get a much better response if you post it in the "Wedge K-bikes" sub-forum just below this one.

Good luck.

John

Optimum RPMs

I bought a new K1200GT a few months ago. I followed the instructions in the manual regarding the first 600 miles and got the first service done.

I've been told that the K engines like to be run in the 4 to 8K range to minimize engine wear. I've also read that running high RPMs is hard on the top of the engine and that running low RPMs is hard on the lower half of the engine.

So what's up? I like the fuel economy I get running along in the 3 to 4K range, but is that bad for the engine?

Hey Captn - I just got my GT and am stillu learning it, it rides/shifts totally different than my RT.

What I have noticed however it likes to be wound up, I find that when I shift between 3700-5000 the shifts are almost imperceptable.

Second when I ride on the highway i usually am between 4-5k and it is just smooth sailing

Around town I keep in a gear that will let me go the traffic speed but still turn at least 4k.

The engine will wear - you will never avoid that - but from a seat in the pants feel 4-6k is fine.

Running 8k and above in any gear above third and your in triple digits anyway. :dance

YMMV :lurk

Back