Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Petty rants and other childish musings

Petty rants and other childish musings

#1: Share the road
    -----
    You've got this glorious motorcycle. It's got more power than many cars. Not even halfway through the gear box and you're doing over a 100 mph. While a bit portly (it is a BMW), it'll lean way the hell over and rock through the curves on the feathery edge of the tires with your toes skimming the pavement. All without any fuss. Not only does this thoroughbred want to move and dance, it makes it easy. You bought it for all these reasons.

But that isn't you. Clad in that uniform of BMW riders everywhere - plastic suit with white helmet - you ride so slowly, cautiously, with so little passion, so passively, that you'd be safe naked. Road rash really isn't a big concern at a light jog. Down the middle of the road you go. If it's straight, you're below the speed limit. If the road has those delicious curves, down the middle of the road you go with nary a hint of lean.

If you'd glance in your mirror, you'd see me or one of my friends there. We just arrived. That means something. That means we're going faster than you. You don't move to the side, you don't wave us by. You just continue that slothlike shuffle down the middle of the road. Are you alive? I can't tell. The bike is moving, but you might not even be breathing. Curve after curve, there you are, not letting me by. I don't want to startle you. I don't want to unnerve a clearly delicate rider. I'm not the only bike piling up behind you. You must not have noticed me.

Or maybe you did. You know better than we do. This road is unsafe. Bikes shouldn't be leaned over, not like that. Speed kills. Fun kills. You're protecting us from ourselves.

Never mind. It'll take some speed to get by before that turn ahead.

-brraaapppp-

I glance back, using those mirrors you seemed to be ignoring, and I can see you shaking your head. You're alive!

Hauling ass takes a little work. That corner is coming fast. On the brakes, lean, on the gas. Another corner. Woohoo! This is riding. This is fun. The GS Adventure's centerstand touches down. I shift my weight. This is why I'm on this machine. I look back. Where'd you go?

I come up on a old honda. They immediately scoot over and wave me by. Same for the Harleys and most everything else I come upon. The BMW riders... they I have to pass hard whether they like it or not.

Next time. Share the road.

That was you?
    Don't wanna!
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    The GS Adventure's centerstand touches down.
    i just sent an email to rob.

Oh gawd, here we go again...

Did someone have a bad ride back to NE last weekend?

By the way, what's #2?

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    Oh gawd, here we go again...

Did someone have a bad ride back to NE last weekend?

By the way, what's #2?

---
    If you aren't stopped, and you aren't stretching, why are your feet off the pegs dangling just above the pavement? You're just making it harder for yourself, diminishing your control over the bike, and making the rest of us wonder if you're going to be a sad story in the newspaper about a rider losing control of their bike. If you think 5 mph is hard, just wait until you hit 60 on a decreasing radius corner. Go practice. Go take some classes. How you handle the bike at low speeds is a better indication of how you ride than you want it to be.

And get out of my way.

---
    Dear Mr.Harley rider,
    You and your hundreds of friends got together this past weekend on a piece of road I was also trying to traverse. If your machines idle so poorly that you must blip them constantly, please take them in for service. It was like being in a herd of mooing cattle pretending to be roaring dragons.

Also, when there is a slow lane and a passing lane, please consider moving over to the slow lane. It is illegal to pass on the right in some jurisdictions and your herd, more like spilled molasses more than a stampede, shouldn't force everyone to ride at your pace or ride illegally.

p.s. see #2.

---
    If you aren't stopped, and you aren't stretching, why are your feet off the pegs dangling just above the pavement? You're just making it harder for yourself, diminishing your control over the bike, and making the rest of us wonder if you're going to be a sad story in the newspaper about a rider losing control of their bike. If you think 5 mph is hard, just wait until you hit 60 on a decreasing radius corner. Go practice. Go take some classes. How you handle the bike at low speeds is a better indication of how you ride than you want it to be.

And get out of my way.
    Scott, I agree with you, 100%. I have these thoughts in my own mind as I ride too. I've also been completely 'out of it' mentally and have pulled over to let the rest of the world pass by at their own pace (I'm still a n00b too and know it).

But I dunno, it just seems like you're beating up on this mystery guy post facto for not riding to your liking, which seems to defy the whole "Ride your own ride" code. I'm certainly not being critical of your reasons, just sort of confused by their vehemence.

So, are you gonna buy a GSA now?

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    Scott, I agree with you, 100%. I have these thoughts in my own mind as I ride too. I've also been completely 'out of it' mentally and have pulled over to let the rest of the world pass by at their own pace (I'm still a n00b too and know it).

But I dunno, it just seems like you're beating up on this mystery guy post facto for not riding to your liking, which seems to defy the whole "Ride your own ride" code. I'm certainly not being critical of your reasons, just sort of confused by their vehemence.

So, are you gonna buy a GSA now?
    Ride your own ride. Don't make me ride your ride.

If someone can't control their bike at a walking pace, they're well on their way to being a statistic. That's not good for anyone.

Buying a performance machine for its performance and then riding it like your arthritic grandma drove her recliner is nothing short of bizarre. I passed a dozen or more K1200S's and K1200GT's as I banged up the interstate. They were going below the speed limit.

p.s. don't lose sight of the title of this thread.

E_Page
    Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks back. Heading up 50 toward Tahoe, I come up behind an airhead following a car, both travelling at or little under the posted limit.

50 is mostly 2-lane where it follows the American River with a few passing lanes spaced throughout. Because the slow folks tend to find their accelerator as soon as a passing lane starts, and then lose it again as the passing lane ends, I've gotten into the habit of using every foot of lane available to get by as many as possible.

But this time, there's another bike between me and the car at the head of the line, so when we get to the passing lane, I paused for what I thought was adequate time for him to decide whether or not to pass (2 or 3 seconds). When he didn't go, I did, and as soon as I was pulling up beside the airhead, here he comes into the passing lane. There was just enough room to keep it in my lane as I sped by him.

I don't know if I pi$$ed him off or just woke him up, but he pretty much kept up for the next 40 miles.

So, if that airhead rider reads this, sorry, I thought you were waiting for me to go and saw me pull out. But then agian, I'll remind you to check your mirrors before changing lanes.

That's why I posted, you practically invited me in here with the title.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

BUBBAZANETTI

Buying a performance machine for its performance and then riding it like your arthritic grandma drove her recliner is nothing short of bizarre. I passed a dozen or more K1200S's and K1200GT's as I banged up the interstate. They were going below the speed limit.

i rather enjoy passing those guys on my old bike.

p.s. don't lose sight of the title of this thread.
    I'm still laughing over this visual:

Clad in that uniform of BMW riders everywhere - plastic suit with white helmet - you ride so slowly, cautiously, with so little passion, so passively, that you'd be safe naked.
    ps: don't you mean don't lose site? or better still cite?

This (i.e. #1) has to be the best post of the year.

But luckily, most of my problems have been with riders on, uh, other makes.
    Rinty

This wasn't the guy you saw was it?