• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200 RT Centerstand technique?

Regarding Racer7's reply using a "Turn a Bike" to pivot a bike while on the centerstand. The owner of my local BMW dealership showed me that my RT can be pivoted while on the centerstand itself (no "Turn a Bike" or similar device). I use this maneuver often in my garage, but in the back of my mind I wonder if it might not be such a good idea.
On the other hand, if it is not OK why would a second generation BMW dealership principle show me how to do it? Future parts and repairs in mind?:rofl
The "Turn a Bike" would surely put less strain on the mounting bolts but that would just be more stuff cluttering up the garage.

I'd worry not only about the strain on the stand, but the damage to my concrete garage floor. Not to mention it would be a very bad idea to do that on an asphalt driveway.

I'd worry not only about the strain on the stand, but the damage to my concrete garage floor. Not to mention it would be a very bad idea to do that on an asphalt driveway.

I have a thin sheet of plywood on the concrete floor that I always put the center stand on. Less chance of sliding the stand on the concrete.

I also have an "05 RT and initially had the same issues until I had my wife hold the back of the bike by the rack a few times until I got the hang of it. I would not turn the handlebars at all, leave them straight. I am 155 lbs. and 5'07". Now that I have installed crash bars I hold the left bar instead of the rack and pull up on it. A piece of cake now. I leave my side stand down when raising or lowering the bike on the center stand just in case!

First of all, would like to mention that the RT is the heaviest bike I have ever had, yet the easiest to place it on center stand!
Just the way it is designed, all you need is to step on the extending arm, and the bike lifts by itself. Of course, my weight helps...
220 lbs.:blush. Have the side stand ALWAYS down, and if anything goes wrong, just pull the bike towards you. Just because I
lowered the suspension, about 3/4", was much harder to lift the bike on the center stand, but still doable!. Once I shortened the
stand, became a breeze. Just like it has been mentioned here, a woman can do it! Mind you, the heavier, the easier.. Also I like
to use the TurnCycle to turn the bike around. It is bout 1/2" tall, and is no problem to place the RT on it. Not so with my 80 lbs
lighter Triumph!

Its all in the leg, left leg actually, maybe the hips too. I have no leg, knee, hip or back issues so perhaps I'm lucky. I'm 59, 5'-6", 200 lbs and I have no trouble getting my 07 R1200RT on the center stand any time. Same for my 94 R1100RS and my 76 R100RS. I put the bike on the side stand, get off, straighten the bike up while I press down on the center stand. Stand in close to the bike, steady the bike with my left hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the grab rail, push firmly with my left leg and follow through in one effort. I lift a very little with my right hand, and step into the bike as I press up with my left leg. Never a problem.

Same for a K1200LT, K1300GT (one of the harder BMWs to lift IMO), R1200GS. When I worked at the local BMW dealer I got any and all BMWs on the center stand the same way.

In fact, older, late 70's Japanese bikes are usually harder to get on the center stand than any BMW I have put on the center stand

Its all in the leg, left leg actually, maybe the hips too. I have no leg, knee, hip or back issues so perhaps I'm lucky. I'm 59, 5'-6", 200 lbs and I have no trouble getting my 07 R1200RT on the center stand any time. Same for my 94 R1100RS and my 76 R100RS. I put the bike on the side stand, get off, straighten the bike up while I press down on the center stand. Stand in close to the bike, steady the bike with my left hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the grab rail, push firmly with my left leg and follow through in one effort. I lift a very little with my right hand, and step into the bike as I press up with my left leg. Never a problem.

Next, do this with a passenger, say a 110 pound passenger, on the bike. Which is the equivilent weight of my loaded Jesse bags, top case, and duffel on the seat when we travel for the summer.

Give it a shot and report back. :)

I can get my fully loaded 07RT (both side cases, large top case and tank bag all stuffed to maximum) up on the center stand with little effort but I use my right foot. Coming down is scarier though. I always leave the side stand down just in case.

My 94 RS is easy to get on the center stand, empty or bags and tail trunk fully loaded. Haven't tried my 07 RT fully loaded yet, but I expect about the same. I agree though, when getting the bike off the center stand loaded, I almost always have the side stand out, just in case. I also always have the front brake squeezed when I move the bike off the center stand, I squeeze the front brake just as the bike is coming off the center stand. Knock on wood, only time I dropped a BMW off the center stand was on my very 1st club ride back in 90, when I, um, set my 76 RS gently on its side coming off the center stand.

I can get my fully loaded 07RT (both side cases, large top case and tank bag all stuffed to maximum) up on the center stand with little effort but I use my right foot. Coming down is scarier though. I always leave the side stand down just in case.

How many pounds constitute "fully loaded." Mine ranges between 110 and 150 pounds. So again I suggest, try that simple maneuver with a passenger sitting on the pillion seat. Report back.

Why? Will never do that in the real world so don't need to practice.

You missed the point entirely. That is the weight on my motorcycle when I am traveling. You say you can do it "fully loaded" and I asked how much weight that was. I didn't see that answer, but the passenger I mentioned would equal my bike loaded. Since the technique is so simple it ought to work with a loaded bike, still well within the GVWR of the bike, no? Or maybe not so simple after all.

1200GS. 119 Lbs of stuff. Including BMW boxes. I use the same technique as shown. I'm 185 lbs. It works for me! It takes more effort loaded compared to empty, but it is 119 lbs heavier!

John

You missed the point entirely. That is the weight on my motorcycle when I am traveling. You say you can do it "fully loaded" and I asked how much weight that was. I didn't see that answer, but the passenger I mentioned would equal my bike loaded. Since the technique is so simple it ought to work with a loaded bike, still well within the GVWR of the bike, no? Or maybe not so simple after all.

I agree. When travelling with a full load, I use only the sidestand. If I had to use the centre stand, I would unload first. I may be overcautious, but who cares?

I think centerstands are vastly overused and overthought in the BMW world. I only use mine in the garage - mostly so I can easily walk around the bike. If I'm out touring (sometimes for a month or so..) the bike is never on the centerstand. Always gets parked in gear with the sidestand. That's the most stable the bike can be - biggest footprint, 3 points are perfect, and no sweating getting a loaded bike up on a centerstand.

It really seems to be a BMW thing... (I think it dates back to the K bike press intros where BMW used to run around putting them all on the centerstand as soon as the riders/journalists brought them back. They did this to lessen the chance of fogging the entire area from the oil in the cylinder bores oozing into the combustion chamber.)

For reasons known only to Tibetan Monks in a cave on Mt. Everest...

(who have taken a vow of silence), BMW opted to remove a perfectly wonderful and working handle from the 1200s. I believe Wunderlich sells something that functions the same way and that may be helpful to you.

Best,

Will

(who have taken a vow of silence), BMW opted to remove a perfectly wonderful and working handle from the 1200s. I believe Wunderlich sells something that functions the same way and that may be helpful to you.

Best,

Will

Tried the Wunderlich on my R1200R - and it was a fail. It rotated on the frame tube it was mounted to - no matter how tight I made it. It simply wasn't going to work, but happily they have a good return policy.

Back