• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MufflerMod

beeminator

I'll Be Back!
I posted in another K section, but was advised to try here too:

A riding buddy has a K1200S and has developed a need to modify the muffler. As I looked at it to give him advice - I urged him to hold off until I could get some info. The muffler has a large diameter connection to the cat converter, and looks like it is spot welded to the converter. He wants to shorten the mufler, but is unsure about how to detatch it. Has anyone here removed the K/S muffler? And what's the inside structure like? Thanks, from SoCal.

Modify Stock Can?

I assume for the moment that you are serious. That said, sorry, but you got to be kidding!
Shorten a stock can? Have it come out looking OK, acting OK, sounding OK and the bike thinking it knows what the exhaust backpressure, flow and other parameters are?
The stock CPU will modify lots of engine settings automatically based on changes in exhaust parameters. Will these be good changes? Eh, maybe. Maybe not.

Aftermarket exhaust slip ons are tested on the bikes they are made for, dyno tested and curves published.

If your friend owns an S, he should really think about dropping about 20 pounds removing the stock entirely and using a good aftermarket slip on. Personally I have a Two Brothers in carbon fiber, and the sound is extraordinary and the bike runs great!

Good luck.

Back