• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Rally Sucked

This may be the wrong spot, but can anyone tell me why there wasn't a Flea Market this year at the Rally? I've heard rumours, but I'd like the inside scoop...if there is one.:lurk

Woodgrain

I had a great time at the rally. It was the first one I've been to since the 86 one in California. A lot fewer AirHeads this time! I was surprised how cheap it was and I'm guessing the cost has not increased with inflation.

I found the porta-pottis clean but the fixed units in the fairgrounds were often not. It could be the users as well as my wife reported the female restrooms were quite clean! I was also surprised by the diversity in fair food. The fruit stand was particularly nice.

My only constructive criticism would be that I would like to have seen some seminars from those who have made great trips without the aid of tour companies (or support teams!)

Quote:

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

I would add that that "breaking the ice" is a challenge in any large group if you are the outsider. I've experienced this at my church, scout gatherings, business meetings, and the local BMW club I'm trying to assimilate into. It's just human nature and a reminder that if we want our groups to grow we have to invite those people on the outside of our circle into our conversations. "Birds of a feather flock together", it is just natural for us to feel comfortable around those we know. Whenever I'm the outsider I make it a point to be on the initiator of conversations. Sometimes you find out you have nothing in common and it fizzles out, however, I've made more new friends using this approach than standing on the sidelines waiting to be engaged by others.

This thread is supposed to be about how this rally sucked. You folks, like me, who had a great time at the rally should not post here. Hills in Tennessee, what a surprise. People using up the TP, who'da thunk it. Water containers and cups for anyone, just not right. In order for my post to qualify for this thread, here it is..... No good coffee on site. There.

Wrong. The produce stand on the road up the hill had decent coffee(plus other good and reasonable stuff) for $1.

Ditto. I rode down from MI with a friend, but he camped onsite while I stayed offsite, so we kind of went our separate ways at the rally. I also wore my #1 pin and had only one person notice and officially welcome me. I had conversations with folks over meals at the food vendor sites, but I too felt like a bit of an outsider. And I feel that being a woman made it even worse. At some of the vendor tents, I wasn't even acknowledged or asked if I needed help, while all of the male shoppers were approached with offers of assistance.

In spite of all this, I learned things from the seminars I attended, spent a good amount of $$, and enjoyed the rally overall. I agree with the person who suggested a special meeting/social for us 'newbies'. So I wouldn't say the rally sucked, but it could be improved in this area.

PJ in Ann Arbor, MI
'07 F650 GS
'08 R1200 GS

While the #1 pins were promoted at registration(I worked there a bunch) they should have been promoted in the rally book and with signage or something like an ON article. I wore mine for awhile and tossed it.Obviously more interest in the friends you know than the ones you haven't made yet, which is a natural thing socially.

Routing traffic THROUGH the vendor area? DUMB!

Food. Better than last year but still questionable...

Outside the rally.

NC drivers suck. They are just plain BAD. Tenn Driver are better but nobody down there knows what a freakin' turn signal is. Glad I have ABS. I had to use it several times once with my wife on back. That was NOT cool.

I was going to go to the rolling rally. Some personal things got in the way and had a late start. En-route I got run off the highway near Bristol by a drunk trying to exit in a pick-me-up truck that came across in front of me from the left lane at 85mph and slamming on the brakes in front of me to get his exit. Luckily, I was in a spot that was grass and mowed and the 50 mph adventure was down through a ditch in the exit median. Think the rear shock is gone...Just like the driver.:dunno

I decided I had enough and after checking out the bike I went back to WI.

Sorry you had such a poor experience, BUT, I think you can ask anyone thats widely traveled and they will agree that there are bad drivers in many locations and I mean throughout the world! It is a fact that traffic tempo picks up in urban locales and they start cutting lanes,etc. I see less of this "crazyness" in Mexico , but fail to notice that drivers are worse in my Southeast as you emphasize.We have the same cell phone types as you and the list goes on. Again, sorry it was a bummer for you Jason.

Thanks,

I'm just glad to be in one piece and able to ride home. What's the old adage?

I was going to ride the BRP but just didn't have time. Weather was perfect for it. Not too hot!

FWIW I rode back to about 25W north of Knoxville and stopped for the night. (12:30am. ) The Choice Inn I stopped at had 3 ATF/State of Tenn jet ranger helicopters and more 4x4 trucks with trailer loads of ATV's in one place than I've seen in a long time. Looking for Meth labs....Apparently the area is #1 or #2 in the nation for production. So much for dirt riding in the area!

Wasn't worried about the bike in THAT parking lot!:whistle

Sad to say,the meth labs are a national problem ...

I dont think the rally sucked at all, but........it could have been laid out a bit better to make things more accessable without marathon walking. It was a big facility.

Bike parking closer to the attractions and vendors would have been nice.

After arriving at the beer garden a 1/4 mile hike seems a bit on the dark side, then another 1/4 mile hike to the port-a-johns from the garden. After one visit I went to the store and bought a supply for the camp and never returned. Convienience, and having a great time, was not uppermost in the minds of the planners.

The Shuttles should have stopped at all campground entrances, as well as attractions, and spaced their arrivals/departures more evenly. This might have required another shuttle. (And a little planning and thought by the operators)

These all could have been executed with a minimum of cost and effort.

That said, it was a near perfect location and a great facility to host a National rally.
T

I wasn't there all that long but I don't think the parking situation was bad. There were what, 7000 bikes? If you build that kind of parking into the middle of the rally ground then everything is happening in a parking lot and people would be complaining that they had to walk around all of those bikes to get from one vendor to the next.

As has been said, some people really need to walk more. This idea that you should be able to ride up to each activity is just not feasible with this size event. The golf carts are bad enough (and don't get me started on airports).

Sorry you had such a poor experience, BUT, I think you can ask anyone thats widely traveled and they will agree that there are bad drivers in many locations and I mean throughout the world! It is a fact that traffic tempo picks up in urban locales and they start cutting lanes,etc. I see less of this "crazyness" in Mexico , but fail to notice that drivers are worse in my Southeast as you emphasize.We have the same cell phone types as you and the list goes on. Again, sorry it was a bummer for you Jason.

No worries man. I got some decent riding in in KY!

jeez. can't the rally chairs control a simple thing like the weather? :rolleyes

Seriously, one thing I felt could be improved upon is the closing ceremonies.... good LORD that thing is long and boring.

Thanks for everyone who put this gig on; I won’t expand on this comment less I upset the Rally Naysayers Thread...

However, I did have one comment; the final presentation still needs some work. Here's my idea...

Most award presentations I have attended included music between the agenda items, music to build anticipation and to put emphasis on the winners!

The 10 to 20 or 30 seconds of "dead air" throughout the event is what I felt bored everyone to tears! Fill the void with a little music score, A little animation and large screen backdrop so those in the back can be part of the group! Show a simple slide show showing the next years Oregon rally roads and overview maps of where next years national will be held. Do a slide show on the rally raffle bikes to increase the anticipation. Do a slide show of snippets of winners Last Years Grand Award.

Call me nuts, but the planners should also do some kind of opening ceremony maybe Friday? Announcing events, changes, rides, yadayada, but lend marketing organization to an already fantastic agenda! I think the BMWMOA has it down good in terms of content at the rally, but some of that content never reaches the average rally user.

Show upcoming BMW events, BMW Promotional Video (let BMWNA co-host the presentation$$$) Have a big 2'x5' check showing the total contributions as Ray hands it to whom-ever-we-gave -money-to charity. Having a production would be cool, and have held the interest, if mixed in with the ceremony. Stay about the same length, but fill the time up. Lastly, consider showing a picture of club members no more on the big screen, a few seconds in silence for our good members who have passed on during the last year, or died; show some respect for their passing. This can be good TV if done right..

I have a whole lot good and praise for the organizers and to say about the entire rally, but won't detail in this thread anyway!

It sucked!!

This was my 5th National Rally and it was the worst; Texas; Virginia, Michigan, Ohio; plus to RA rallies, local Airhead rallies, along with a dozen Daytona trips. However, I am not a Rally Rat, but also not a Rally Virgin. Can you satisfy everybody: no; however some of the basic stuff sucked. Thank God I pre-registered; that would have added to the nightmare. Specifics:

1. The routing through vendors is dumb!! One way traffic I can understand, but the whole concept of riding through the entire fair grounds is crazy. I was already pissed off before I put up my tent.

2. No flat ground to be found for the tent. That is insane!! Unless you had special needs or where on the committee so you could park in the livestock area you were sleeping on the hill.

3. Showers: Only 2 trucks!! You got to be kidding me. Long lines and not clean either.

4. Portajohns: Not cleaned often enough, not enough out there... At prior rallies they were cleaned at least twice a day and were never out of TP.

5. Music should have had a better variety.

6. The grass or fields should have been mowed down more.

7. Trash should have been emptied more frequently.

8. I still don't like the vendor's closing down at 6 pm. Most of us like to ride during the day and shop in the evening... All the vendor's already have to buy a special license to sell, but at least be open longer.

9. Closing ceremony was too long, too much unneeded information was given and some of the information was already printed in the MOA Magazine. And what was up with all the re-drawing??? Never happened before, but at least you had to be present to win.

On a positive note: The roads were great, temperatures were tolerable and I was in good company. Next year I am going to Germany instead and ride the Alps...

Boxer Cow

Instead of Germany, you should volunteer and bring your expertise to the Oregon rally! We need more flexible and positive input!
Das Leben ist 'ne Wundertute!

Well, darn it

Wrong. The produce stand on the road up the hill had decent coffee(plus other good and reasonable stuff) for $1.

I bought from them but never tried the coffee. With everything else they had that was so good, I should of known to try the coffee. Next time...

I still don't like the vendor's closing down at 6 pm.

Agreed...........

But as far as everything else, I must have been at a different rally or my timing was perfect. I never waited for anything..........

I still don't like the vendor's closing down at 6 pm. Most of us like to ride during the day and shop in the evening... All the vendor's already have to buy a special license to sell, but at least be open longer.

For some reason, I was assigned a RV spot with the vendors. They were some of the nicest folks you will ever meet. However, consider them. Most drove hundreds or thousands of miles to get to the rally, set up their displays and were there from early in the day until 6:00PM. How many hours of constant work can a person handle? They came in exhausted when they closed at 6:00PM and were still pleasant. Most of the vendors could not afford and/or didn't have a second shift to handle the evenings since most were small operations. There would have been more complaints if the vendors opened late so they would have the energy to stay open late.

The other complaints makes me wonder if I was at the same rally.

I had a great time at the rally. This was my third National and the best, IMHO. The portapotties could have been cleaner though..................

Thanks to Vance and EVERYONE who worked/volunteered.

We had a great time...3rd National...still a rookie

What do you expect with near 8K folks in a rolling hilled fairgrounds? We managed the traffic in/out of the grounds...yes, it was crowded and folks do not pay attention...happens anywhere. Wanting to ride to every place on the grounds is why some of you huff & puff over a little walk... Take a walk and enjoy the neighbors. I applaud the effort that the folks put in to make that place work given the challenges. We did not camp but did notice the challenges there as well...nothing like camping at a 8K event anyways! Been there...got the trophy. The Wisconsin Rally as was Gillette were in modern facilities...this was not...but the scenery and riding made up for that tenfold. As mentioned...if you think it's broken ...volunteer to help make it better.

My only point is still the closing ceremony...I am sure this will be a talking point at every rally, but some good ideas so far to improve it have been mentioned.

My biggest peeve was the hurry- hurry of the mileage awards presentation...and the second place mens who still tried to "win" by adding his yearly mileage which was still announced:scratch (which a lot of was on his Harley even during the contest cause his BMW was down...which was NOT mentioned of course) Dude...you lost this year...you diminished the current winners accomplishment of 68K ON a BMW in the contests time frame...get over it and don't write another article in the ON whining either please. I am related to and ride often with this years winner so maybe taking it a little personal.

2 cents worth

If the numbers are going to be in the 8,000 area, we might should consider larger fairgrounds. The camping was crowded, slippery and sloped. Yes, I know, twisty roads=sloped tents, straight roads=flat camping. The beer tent should have been in front of the stage. You could not hear very well from the side. And why couldn't we take beer out on the grassy portion in front of the stage? I agree with the need of more food vendors near the beer tent. Really though, I had a great time. I just took a flask into the grassy area. I would have bought beer if I could have heard the band, or took it out front.

As I recall, both winners were from Virginia; one from Richmond, one from Vienna.

This was my fourth Rally since 1989. My riding crew and I had a great time, and we are currently fantasizing about going to next years Rally after Mapsourcing the 5434 mile round trip route this morning.
Thanks,Me & my wife came over from thursday to saturday.I had been to lots of bike rallys,but this was my first BMW rally. We had a great time & made new friends.Not sure about next years rally,but you never know.

Back