• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally very Disorganized

MrZip

I don't know why it is every year mistakes and pitfalls are pointed out only to be repeated or made worse in the following years. Here's what I see were some problems at this years rally.

1. Porta Pots - Not enough of them - In the wrong place - Not serviced timely.
I had to walk about 100 yards uphill from my campsite only to find them just about overflowing and out of paper.

2. No place for the Motel/Hotel day passers and others not camping to park. parking was anywhere you could find and a complete mess.

3. Seminars were held for the most part at a school just outside the rally grounds. No shuttle went to the school - you either had to gear up and ride or walk about a mile round trip!!! If you rode - reference the parking situation above.

4. Traffic from the fairgrounds exited right through the vendor area where people were walking.

5. This last point is just my opinion but the fairgrounds sucked!!! They were old, tired and everything was a hassle to get to. The beer tent was down in a hole - the vendor were up on a hill and the camping was in a very hilly field - NO Trees.

But I don't know why I bother to point out anything - as nothing will be done different - and all the MOA defenders will tell me I shouldn't complain.

I'm surprised about the portolet complaint; we couldn't walk twenty yards without encountering a huge row of them, and those closest to our tent were serviced very regularly. Never once did I have to wait for one to come available. We were camped on the hill, maybe it was different elsewhere. The rest of the issues you mention either didn't apply to us or didn't bother us :dunno

For a rally of almost 9000 people and 6000+ bikes, I thought it was very well organized, but what do I know, this was my first national rally.

But I don't know why I bother to point out anything - as nothing will be done different - and all the MOA defenders will tell me I shouldn't complain.

So if I read between the lines correctly, I hear you saying that you are volunteering for a chair position for next years rally so you can make changes you feel are necessary?

:thumb

I was at the rally as well and while the things pointed out either I didn't notice myself or didn't apply, I think this kind of feedback is valuable and should be noted.

One has to remember that this is a huge, 5-day event with close to ten thousand people, simply making it happen is a wonder in and of itself and due in large part to the dedicated and thankless work of hundreds of volunteers. Both of next year's Rally chairs spent most of it, that I saw, working hard I am guessing not only to help make this year's a success but to learn as much as possible for next year.

It seems to me that this original post was as much out of frustration as a desire to change things that the OP sees as chronically "broken." My advice would be to get involved in the planning of the Rally for next year and try to make sure that a difference can be made.

Though the BMW MOA has been throwing this yearly event for 35 years now, there are inevitably new and unexpected things yearly that add to the knowledge passed on from Rally Chair to Rally Chair. For instance, I bet next year someone will contact the County to make sure that all roadwork on major arteries near the rally is completed before or started afterwards :laugh

If the rally were held in the same place every year, I'm sure any problems could be ironed out in a year or two. However, changing venues every year to accommodate more members and keep things interesting will always have consequences. If you aren't willing to volunteer and help with parking and shuttle driving etc... bring your butler next time and I'm sure he will make you more comfortable.

I had a great time! Viva la Rally!

I have to say I am disappointed . . . . . with all the whining.
I hope all you complainers one day put 15 months of your best effort into a project and you get a review like some of you have given.
The location was great, some of the best riding roads in the country.
A veritable cornucopia of vendors. Great entertainment. Decent food in variety. Good sanitation.

And hey, let's not forget aerobatic planes and fireworks!

Quitcherbitchin!!!

This was only my third MOA Rally (Toronto, Spokan) so I don't have much to compatre. But I've been to other rallies, both mototorcycle and non-motporcycle. This rally IMO was very well done.

To think they have 15 months to pull it all off and ZERO time to tweek it. They can fix issues for next week..........It's a one shot deal and we roll! Amazing.

There were plenty of portopotties. Seems they were 150 feet apart everywhere.

Parking bike everywhere has it's advantages. You could park close to wherever you wanted.

The schuttle service was great and if you needed to get somewhere in a hurry, there was always a golf cart to assist.

If you camped, Ice availability was great.

I agree on the bikes exiting the fairground through the crowds. That was just plain dumb......

And I wish the seminars would have been closer to the main event. But they were not a mile away. A quick walk through the soccer field and you were there.

All I know is the Yankee Beemers brought over 150 folks down, both MOA/YB members and non members anfd we had an amazing time. Just an absolute blast!

Everyone I talked to said this was the best rally they ever attended.

I guess it's what you make of it...........

...4. Traffic from the fairgrounds exited right through the vendor area where people were walking.

Rather than complain after the fact, I asked a rally security volunteer why all bikes had to be routed through the vendor area. The reply, given patiently and fully, was that the decision was made by local law enforcement officials who did not want traffic exiting through the other available gate, due to their perception that the intersection wouldl be unsafe and place bikers into a residential area.

Johnson City Rally

I thought the rally was great. Unless someone has 100 acres to donate to BMWMOA in four or five locations across the US and the money to build the perfect site, I don't think it could have been done much better. Did you volunteer to help organize this years rally? Do you have any idea how much work went into organizing and pulling this thing off? BMWMOA and all of the volunteers did a wonderful job. Thank you.
Bob

... Do you have any idea how much work went into organizing and pulling this thing off? BMWMOA and all of the volunteers did a wonderful job. Thank you.
Bob
I think this is a really important point. This is a volunteer run rally. MOA paid staff certainly do a lot of work, but the number of volunteers working in many different capacities is overwhelming. I thanked each one who helped us or advised us.

The location was superb for riding, there were tons of vendors (it will take months for my bank account to recover), and some interesting seminars. All in all, a great rally. My wife and I both feel that staying at the rally grounds, which we did at Lima and Vermont, was a lot more fun than the motel we used in Johnson City. There's much more time to find and greet old friends, make new friends and enjoy the entertainment.

So if I read between the lines correctly, I hear you saying that you are volunteering for a chair position for next years rally so you can make changes you feel are necessary?

:thumb

+1

I used to chair a very large and very successful community festival. Every year, we had a handful of comments such as those posted here. My answer to those folks was that I appreciated their feedback and we certainly had room for them to volunteer next year and help us improve. Bottom line is that those who put on events such as this are VOLUNTEERS. No one is paid for the endless hours and hard work required. It is dedication from these individuals that makes these events happen.

If your experience wasn't what you had hoped, you have the right not to attend next year.

The rally was great. Thanks to all that made it possible.

I could not fathom how to build a city in 3 days...in a new spot.... each year...

The local DJ's on Johnson City morning radio were just as stunned....

Yes, it was a great rally and well put on and in a nice location! To the original poster, thats a real pity that you had to walk a bit to the john! I used to have an outhouse that was placed uphill from my house ~ 50 yds away and I built it there for a reason. As fairgrounds go it was much better than most but not up to "shopping mall standards" if that was what you were looking for? Thanks to all for a huge job , that was overall, well done!

Hear Here

Ive been to 33 national and international rallies
this one rates in the bottom five
No toilet paper, Where was the cleanliness committee?

Much thx to Connie,Vance,Mari. for a job well done. It's not easy organizing a basically out door event that envolves 1000's of people with all types of expectations and issues. Good to see a lot of my fellow friends from all over the USA. I had a good time. Barry ps Gotta thank all those others who helped make the national happen. Here's to all of Yall.

Everything around here is either uphill or in a hole, except for the airport and that's why we put it there. It's also why the riding is so great!!! As a matter of fact back in the day we had to walk uphill both wa.....Oh never mind LOL!

Back