Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rally Music?

Rally Music?

First-the rally was fun and I met some nice people. I am certain that many people worked their tails off putting this together!However,I feel compelled to make this statement:The theme of the rally was Mountain Magic, Southern Style. I had a tent just opposite the beer garden and heard all the performers( even if I didn't want to) except those late Saturday. It is a fact that there are different kinds of music out there and that our tastes vary a bunch. In talking with a local(a vendor) , and his learning that I lived not so far away( and a hillbilly too), he asked me what I thought about the music. My reply was "it was not so good and not in keeping with the theme/location of the rally".He was of the same mind and thus the reason he had asked me the question.
    Now, I wasn't expecting Dolly Parton or Dr.Ralph Stanley, but people, that was not what we all call our traditional mountain music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The closest thing I heard to country was Delbert McClinton and he switched from country to blues some time ago. Don Imus used to have him on and he has been switched for some time . The ex-boxer had some nice songs, for me, but was a southern rocker mostly.
    I have to say that there should have been some high quality bluegrass and some true country music if you were to go after the areas cultural music. I was thinking that Nashville is in TN? Maybe even some mountain style dancing?
    I am ignorant on contracting music, but perhaps it is not possible to get groups with only a one year notice , as a rally is planned?I know many of the groups(bluegrass) that I would have liked to have seen there, do the same venues year after year and with the rally moving all the time, that could create an impossible issue. It just seems nuts to me that I took the hwy home from the rally site and almost the whole 200 miles is named as the music hwy of one kind or another(varies in the states of VA,TN,KY) and signs are posted constantly for the entire distance reminding you as this is the home of so & so country music person and we got what we did! My cup is not half full-it is empty!
    It is this simple: I was expecting music/entertainment that represented the area and an opportunity to do something along the theme of the rally in a great location, just did not happen!

The Country Gentlemen were scheduled, along with Taylor Swift. Didn't they perform?

And I think that a variety of performers is a good idea.

So sad I couldn't attend. This is a great riding area.

bike junkie...
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    It is this simple: I was expecting music/entertainment that represented the area and an opportunity to do something along the theme of the rally in a great location, just did not happen!

Damn straight!
    If one doesn't read the readily-available information put out about the event that they're going to, but they go anyways, and set up their tent really close to the stage and then decide they don't like the music, that has to be someone else's fault!

Eddie
    who had never listened to D. McC before, but thought his show was fantastic.

music

Hey I thought it was very good music. Really digged Paul Thorns music. I think they were a good middle ground type of music everyone could get into.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I also thought they missed the tone of the rally and the area with the music selection. I was hoping for a country theme and got something far different. When you're within about half an hour of the home of Bluegrass and Old Time Music, you should build on it. There are tons of local talent readily available and ETSU has the only Bluegrass Music program at a university in the World.

I went down to see what all the fuss was about with Delbert McClinton and came away terribly disappointed but other people clearly enjoyed him. I guess people expected and got big city entertainment.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Blue Mother Tupelo ROCKED my plimsoul!
    Earthy, dirty, gritty.
    Loved 'em.

Paul Thorn was the highlight of the entertainment for me. Down to earth, funny and good music too!
    Jeff Peterson
    Murfreesboro, TN
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Quote Originally Posted by Rev_Eddie View Post
    Damn straight!
    If one doesn't read the readily-available information put out about the event that they're going to, but they go anyways, and set up their tent really close to the stage and then decide they don't like the music, that has to be someone else's fault!

Eddie
    who had never listened to D. McC before, but thought his show was fantastic.
    I read the program , thank you. I chose my tent spot with care(just opposite as in I was as far from stage as possible in the same area), thank you. Read Osbornk's post, I second it! I'll say it one more time; I live around here and "mountain music" or "country music" didn't happen for the most part...

Quote Originally Posted by mypetersahn View Post
    Paul Thorn was the highlight of the entertainment for me. Down to earth, funny and good music too!
    I too, enjoyed something like 3 of his songs and his verbal wit was a real treat!

good music and does anyone know if his song intros are included on his CDs? haven't laughed so hard in a loooong time

Bump, Paul Thorn.
    2012 R1200GSA

Wednesday Night

I thought the band that played wednesday night was great... they were fun and did a great job.... they guy on Thursday night was a little boring for my taste but I still had a great time hanging with some new friends.....

It's an imperfect world. More for some folks, less for others.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by skip0464 View Post
    I thought the band that played wednesday night was great... they were fun and did a great job....
    I married a moonshiners daughter, and now she makes me liquer.
    Doug Mc Gee
    Ice-Co Chair
    OH Airmarshal
    www.airheads.org