• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally Music?

kantuckid

First-the rally was fun and I met some nice people. I am certain that many people worked their tails off putting this together!However,I feel compelled to make this statement:The theme of the rally was Mountain Magic, Southern Style. I had a tent just opposite the beer garden and heard all the performers( even if I didn't want to) except those late Saturday. It is a fact that there are different kinds of music out there and that our tastes vary a bunch. In talking with a local(a vendor) , and his learning that I lived not so far away( and a hillbilly too), he asked me what I thought about the music. My reply was "it was not so good and not in keeping with the theme/location of the rally".He was of the same mind and thus the reason he had asked me the question.
Now, I wasn't expecting Dolly Parton or Dr.Ralph Stanley, but people, that was not what we all call our traditional mountain music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The closest thing I heard to country was Delbert McClinton and he switched from country to blues some time ago. Don Imus used to have him on and he has been switched for some time . The ex-boxer had some nice songs, for me, but was a southern rocker mostly.
I have to say that there should have been some high quality bluegrass and some true country music if you were to go after the areas cultural music. I was thinking that Nashville is in TN? Maybe even some mountain style dancing?
I am ignorant on contracting music, but perhaps it is not possible to get groups with only a one year notice , as a rally is planned?I know many of the groups(bluegrass) that I would have liked to have seen there, do the same venues year after year and with the rally moving all the time, that could create an impossible issue. It just seems nuts to me that I took the hwy home from the rally site and almost the whole 200 miles is named as the music hwy of one kind or another(varies in the states of VA,TN,KY) and signs are posted constantly for the entire distance reminding you as this is the home of so & so country music person and we got what we did! My cup is not half full-it is empty!
It is this simple: I was expecting music/entertainment that represented the area and an opportunity to do something along the theme of the rally in a great location, just did not happen!:lurk

The Country Gentlemen were scheduled, along with Taylor Swift. Didn't they perform?

And I think that a variety of performers is a good idea.

So sad I couldn't attend. This is a great riding area.:(

It is this simple: I was expecting music/entertainment that represented the area and an opportunity to do something along the theme of the rally in a great location, just did not happen!:lurk

Damn straight!
If one doesn't read the readily-available information put out about the event that they're going to, but they go anyways, and set up their tent really close to the stage and then decide they don't like the music, that has to be someone else's fault!

Eddie
who had never listened to D. McC before, but thought his show was fantastic.

music

Hey I thought it was very good music. Really digged Paul Thorns music. I think they were a good middle ground type of music everyone could get into.

I also thought they missed the tone of the rally and the area with the music selection. I was hoping for a country theme and got something far different. When you're within about half an hour of the home of Bluegrass and Old Time Music, you should build on it. There are tons of local talent readily available and ETSU has the only Bluegrass Music program at a university in the World.

I went down to see what all the fuss was about with Delbert McClinton and came away terribly disappointed but other people clearly enjoyed him. I guess people expected and got big city entertainment.

Damn straight!
If one doesn't read the readily-available information put out about the event that they're going to, but they go anyways, and set up their tent really close to the stage and then decide they don't like the music, that has to be someone else's fault!

Eddie
who had never listened to D. McC before, but thought his show was fantastic.

I read the program , thank you. I chose my tent spot with care(just opposite as in I was as far from stage as possible in the same area), thank you. Read Osbornk's post, I second it! I'll say it one more time; I live around here and "mountain music" or "country music" didn't happen for the most part...

Wednesday Night

I thought the band that played wednesday night was great... they were fun and did a great job.... they guy on Thursday night was a little boring for my taste but I still had a great time hanging with some new friends.....

I also thought they missed the tone of the rally and the area with the music selection. I was hoping for a country theme and got something far different. When you're within about half an hour of the home of Bluegrass and Old Time Music, you should build on it. There are tons of local talent readily available and ETSU has the only Bluegrass Music program at a university in the World.

I went down to see what all the fuss was about with Delbert McClinton and came away terribly disappointed but other people clearly enjoyed him. I guess people expected and got big city entertainment.

Does this suggest that if the rally were held in Utah, we could only have Mormon inspired music? As talented as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is, I am not sure that I could take four nights of their music.;) I was glad to see the variety of music presented over the course of the rally and I appreciate the work that went into attracting such talented group of musicians.

Does this suggest that if the rally were held in Utah, we could only have Mormon inspired music? As talented as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is, I am not sure that I could take four nights of their music.;) I was glad to see the variety of music presented over the course of the rally and I appreciate the work that went into attracting such talented group of musicians.

I didn't realize that Utah was known for their music. I just think that when you are in the birthplace for a certain kind of music, it should be the type of music that is highlighted and have other music to compliment it. I wouldn't expect Bluegrass in New Orleans or Heavy Metal in Nashville. Around here, Bluegrass Festivals and Fiddler's Conventions are where people gather for a good time. I think a night or two of that format would have given people from other places a little taste of our mountain culture.

Rock & Roll, Heavy Metal and similar music are "good" because the loud electronic noises hides deficiencies of the musicians. Old Time and Bluegrass music requires far better musicians because the lack of electronic enhancements prevents the unskilled from hiding. Any mistake on a fiddle, banjo, mandolin, etc. shows up immediately.

Back