Thread: Pushrod tube mounting tool

Pushrod tube mounting tool

I've got a 1977 R100/7 with lightly weeping pushrod tubes. 68,000 miles on the clock. Just purchased recently and have been enjoying the ride. I was making my list of parts to replace the rubber seals at the base of the tubes and was on Huckys BMW parts page. Great site for visuals on the parts. Open to other sites if someone has a favorite. He lists a Pushrod Tube Mounting Tool part # 71 11 0 000 003 for bikes 8.1975 and on for $15. Do you need this tool to re-fit the pushrod tube? Never done this job before, looks quite straight forward if you have ever done rings before. I like having the right tool for the job...duh, makes the repair so much less likely to go south. Also any comments on the job in general. Like to hear 'em.
    Thanks!
    Kurt
    1977 R100/7
    black tank w/ gold pin stripping

TGHSMITH
    if all you are changing are the seals at the tube bases(normal thing to do) the tool is not needed, its used for removing and installing the tubes themself on the clyinder...

Tube Tool . . . .

Kurt,
    I just did that job on a '93 R100RT. Clymers or Oak or Snowbum (I read them all) suggest dielectric grease inside the rubber gasket so the tube can move in and out as it heats and cools. Then they suggest putting motoroil on the outside of the seals. It was an easy fix and can be done in an hour per cylinder. There was no tool needed. The fit was great and no leaks.
    Goog luck!
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    Last edited by CTellman; 07-13-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
    He lists a Pushrod Tube Mounting Tool part # 71 11 0 000 003 for bikes 8.1975 and on for $15. Do you need this tool to re-fit the pushrod tube?
    FYI, this "tool" only applies to bikes up to 1981 models.

Quote from the BMW Service Manual:

Note: Beginning with 1981 models thrust rings cannot be knocked on to the protective tubes, since the rings are soldered!
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S