Thread: Canadian License

Canadian License

There is a very slight possibility of this Wisconsin kid moving to Canada in search of gold. What does it take to get a Canadian motorcycle license?

I have heard the European countries have a much more detailed course to get a license over there. Is it similar to getting one in the US or more along the lines of the European countries? Or do they do things their own way?

2001 K1200LT "Zoot" RIP 10/14/2007
    2009 K1200LT "Angus"

Cartoon Bears never wear pants!!

Operator licensing is a matter of provincial jurisdiction, in Canada, so it would depend on where you will be locating. Each province will have a website that sets out its particular requirements.

In my own province, these are not onerous.

I would expect that none of the provinces' requirements are anywhere near as rigorous as European ones. I am only familiar with the Dutch situation, where getting an automobile operator license is about as difficult as getting a private pilot licence in North America.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
    There is a very slight possibility of this Wisconsin kid moving to Canada in search of gold. What does it take to get a Canadian motorcycle license?

I have heard the European countries have a much more detailed course to get a license over there. Is it similar to getting one in the US or more along the lines of the European countries? Or do they do things their own way?

I could be wrong here, but I *believe* your US license will just be transferred over if you have been driving / riding more then 2 or 3 years, in Ontario anyway. I know if I move to the US, I would just give me Canadian license, and a US equivalent would be issued...for a small fee.

shire2000
    You would be best to check this out in which ever province you plan to move to. In most provinces you just go to the Motor Vehicle office that issues licences and surrender your current licence from where you are now and they issue you once here with similar licencing. i.e. Car and motorcycle endorsement. If you are licenced to drive a semi or with air brakes, you usually will have to write a separate test.

You should be able to check most of that out online. Just go to the govenment web pages for the province you want and do some sleuthing.

Thanks for the info guys!!

Ride safe!
    2001 K1200LT "Zoot" RIP 10/14/2007
    2009 K1200LT "Angus"

Cartoon Bears never wear pants!!