• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A "Warning Letter" From BMW To Owners of 2005-07 R12GS & R12GSA

Wallowa

Excuse me if I am a little emotional and choked up right now...but I received my very first, in the mail, information letter from BMW NA; or BMW Motorrad or a BMW Dealer for that matter. It concerns the possibility of the handguards ['hand protectors'] slipping into the incorrect position and depressing either the clutch lever or the front brake lever....gasp! BMW just found out! We could burn out out clutches! We could lock up the front brakes! Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

Sorry could not help that. This informtion has been on the web and this forum for at least two years...I do appreciate BMW acknowledging the problem...perhaps it is the start of a new era of BMW actually communicating directly to owners of BMW bikes....Naw.

Last paragraph has a great line "We appreciate your confidence in our product, and we wish to do everything we can to retain your confidence"..

See there you go assuming again..........confidence?

Ps...The 'fix' is to position the levers correctly in the hand protectors...message in 10 languages and pure rocket science [not demeaning rocket scientists!]. I kept looking on the back of the page for a word on FDs..:laugh

You know the saying about bad news traveling fast? There's some kind vortex that gets creating at BMW when the same occurs.

pure rocket science [not demeaning rocket scientists!].

I hate using that term to describe something that is supposedly complex or difficult. Rocket science, on its own, is quite simple and easy. It's the engineering that is the difficult part. Calculating the thrust required to get a given mass to a desired altitude/orbit is not hard. What's difficult is determining how to achieve said thrust. ;)

I know you were being sarcastic. I just wish another term could be used.

Ok, Ok, Ok, I Got One!

I hate using that term to describe something that is supposedly complex or difficult. Rocket science, on its own, is quite simple and easy. It's the engineering that is the difficult part. Calculating the thrust required to get a given mass to a desired altitude/orbit is not hard. What's difficult is determining how to achieve said thrust. ;)

No not even sarcasm..just my usually wise ass self..

How about brain surgery? Damn that is not very original either...

Either way BMW ain't got it figured out....would it not be great to sit down at table with a bunch of BMW motorcycle design engineers and hear how they think? Forget asking them questions, BMW would never allow that, I would just like to know they really exist.

Ps...Good friend of mine was indeed a rocket scientist and he indeed did some fantastic things...of course no where near the marvels created by an engineer..hell they run trains!;)

Brain Surgery? :laugh:laugh:laugh BGAZOO ..are YOU a rocket scientist:whistle

That's just one of those sayin's...I guess we need to be more sensitive to thrust engineers...I'm also being sarcastic...

AND BTW...got my letter and sticker for the '07 yesterday I don't have anymore...the 09 does have a diff two piece design...they just break off now...so I hear:whistle Those are some serious size warning stickers I may just stick on a sidecase for funZ

Those are some serious size warning stickers I may just stick on a sidecase for funZ

Great idea. I'm going to steal that and put them on my panniers before heading off to the rally.

I got the letter and couldn't believe BMW would go to the trouble of printing up stickers and sending them out. I mean isn't it obvious that if your controls get interferred with they won't work properly. Duh.

Back