Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Go ahead laugh at me!

Go ahead laugh at me!

This may sound odd but I did something this afternoon that still has me laughing at myself. Of course this may be one of those "You got to be there" things but none the less it seems to keep me laughing at myself.

Here it goes! I was changing the oil on my GS and for some reason took extra time to prepare my sockets, torq wrenches, oil and filter, funnel...you get the idea. Everything was laid out nicely, even the rag that I would need to make sure everything was nice and clean.

I put the oil pan (flat bottom type) under the bike after removing the rock guard and started to unscrew the oil pan drain bolt. The drain plug washer fell into the pan as usual and then the warm-hot oil started draining out. WAIT!!! The washer fell straight down into the middle of the flow of oil........can you say water fountain? Oil was going everywhere so I of course thought quick and moved the pan a little, BAAAD idea! The washer was now closer to the edge of the pan and still in the flow of the oil and now spraying even further out of the pan. Ok, now I got smart and moved the pan fast to the other side, yup you guessed it the darn washer moved again and......man there is a lot of oil in there! Finally I got the idea that there were forces much smarter here than me and I reached in and moved just the washer.

Lets just say it took me a while to clean up the mess and all the while laughing at myself. Next time I am not being prepared again.

Have a great night!
    2000 K1200LT
    2001 R1150GS
    2009 KLR650

sounds like one of my maintenance sessions.

bet you couldn't do that again if you wanted to.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBeemer View Post
    This may sound odd but I did something this afternoon that still has me laughing at myself. Of course this may be one of those "You got to be there" things but none the less it seems to keep me laughing at myself.

Here it goes! I was changing the oil on my GS and for some reason took extra time to prepare my sockets, torq wrenches, oil and filter, funnel...you get the idea. Everything was laid out nicely, even the rag that I would need to make sure everything was nice and clean.

I put the oil pan (flat bottom type) under the bike after removing the rock guard and started to unscrew the oil pan drain bolt. The drain plug washer fell into the pan as usual and then the warm-hot oil started draining out. WAIT!!! The washer fell straight down into the middle of the flow of oil........can you say water fountain? Oil was going everywhere so I of course thought quick and moved the pan a little, BAAAD idea! The washer was now closer to the edge of the pan and still in the flow of the oil and now spraying even further out of the pan. Ok, now I got smart and moved the pan fast to the other side, yup you guessed it the darn washer moved again and......man there is a lot of oil in there! Finally I got the idea that there were forces much smarter here than me and I reached in and moved just the washer.

Lets just say it took me a while to clean up the mess and all the while laughing at myself. Next time I am not being prepared again.

Have a great night!
    Thanks for the laugh -- that's never happened to me btw.
    John H | TexanRT | Lafayette | IBA
    BMW K1600 GTL '18 | Honda Goldwing '12

You mean that's not normal. I thought those kind of things were just par for the course.

Thanks Guys!

It is always good to know that there is a secret club for these sort of things
    2000 K1200LT
    2001 R1150GS
    2009 KLR650

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar

Secret Club

Yup there is... someone I know had just come back from a long run and suffered major burns to his fingers.

"Everything is funny as long as it happens to someone else" - Roy Rogers
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

I had an oil change challange today myself. I do a bit of tire work on and off, and today a customer ask if I would change his oil also. I drained the oil and changed the filter. I replaced the drain plug and poured in the new oil. as I was disposing of the old oil I found a drain plug washer in the bottom of the pan. OH NO !!! I then removed the drain plug and quickly put my finger over the hole. with my other hand I put the washer on the drain plug. I then very quickly removed my finger from the hole and put the plug back in. I only lost about two oz. of oil. it could have been a real mess. oh yea, this was on a Kawasaki Vulcan.

glennhendricks

Been there, done that, will probably do it again.

Rally Rat
    Reminds me of the TV commercial with the guy covered with oil who says "Just did my own oil change........think I did something wrong!"

650flutterby
    If there is an open oil pan anywhere in the shop it will catch any dropped bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by 650flutterby View Post
    If there is an open oil pan anywhere in the shop it will catch any dropped bolts.
    Or my big foot will find it...even when set out of the way
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Your experience is comforting - its nice to know it happens to others as well.

My favourite trick is to start refilling the sump before replacing the plug - and then not having enough oil to finish the job.

Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

I have one of those really big oil catch pans that has a small hole in the middle for the oil to actually drain into (so you can then use the attached spout to pour the oil out. I've actually dropped the fill bolt into the oil pan, and it managed to fall just right so it totally blocked that hole for the oil to go into. I was scrambling to get it out before it overflowed the pan. I've also dropped a 10mm valve cover nut into there, and fished it out with a magnetic tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 650flutterby View Post
    I think that is one of many of Murphy's Laws!!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Back in the old days of full-service gas stations I worked at Texaco -- there was a guy with a V-8 Pinto Wagon -- yes, Ford did put a V-8 in a Pinto. He only came during the hottest part of the day when his car was at maximum operating temperature. I always ended up burning myself somehow because the filter was near impossible to get a wrench on and when you finally got the filter off oil got all over the subframe and suspension -- it was impossible to place the drain pan so as to catch all the dripping oil. I hated that car.

At least once a week, I'd drop a burning hot drain plug into the drain pan and create my own fountain of hot oil that splashed all over the floor. Oh, and there was the time when I thought Slim installed the filter and he thought I did and we pumped a gallon of new oil all over the floor when we started the car.

edit: No damage was done, fortunately.
    John H | TexanRT | Lafayette | IBA
    BMW K1600 GTL '18 | Honda Goldwing '12