Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway Closures

Blue Ridge Parkway Closures

For those folks riding to the Rally who intend to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, please be advised there are closures at two points:

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

There are detours around these closures, but this may lengthen the time of your ride, so you will need to plan accordingly.

mdillon3
    Just rode Blue Ridge Parkway last week. The two detours were extremely well marked and added 15 minutes at the most to the trip. One detour is about 10 miles but parallels the Parkway and the other is slightly shorter but is a perfect opportunity to gas up.

Could you guys who are in the know provide a bit more information? On the way to the Rally I plan to pick up the BRP from U.S. 276 southwest of Asheville, and ride it to 191 in (near?) Asheville. I haven't a clue what mile post numbers that particular stretch encompassses....so....can you tell me if the area I plan to ride is one of the areas under construction? I can't tell from the BRP website. Thanks much!

Vectorpirme27,

The closures are well north of your planned route, up in the Blowing Rock/Boone area. Here's the URL for closure info.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Roy F

It should be noted that the map on the twice linked page has the mile markers listed on it in increments of 10 miles.

According to a friend who was on the southern part of the BRP a couple days ago, there are many more closures than those posted in the NPS link. If you check out http://www.crbmw.com/component/optio.../catid,9/#1521 jou'll know almost as much as I know.

Google for road closures and you'll find more info. I finally gave up and decided to bail on the BRP from Deals Gap area to Johnson City.
    Hank Barta
    K1200RS, R100R/Velorex 700
    Beautiful Sunny Winfield, IL

BRP Cherokee to Asheville

Rode through BRP today after a run through the Tail of the Dragon. No closures and virtually no traffic all day from Cherokee to Asheville, NC.

JoeRadMan
    2005 R1200RT

mdillon3
    No, closures south of Asheville was my experience as well. Two closures North but both were not dramatic and easy to navigate.

BRP Asheville to Roanoke

Minor traffic out of Asheville, two closures around Boone, NC with well marked detours with no significant delays. The rest was virtually traffic free and no LEOs seen all day.

JoeRadMan
    2005 R1200RT