• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding North...whats a must see up there?

M

mitch123

I'm gonna be heading up north towards Maine and Nova Scotia before i hit the Damn Yankee Rally. I'll Have a good 5 days up that way...enough but not a lot of time.
Would like some suggestions about places to see and roads to ride in Vermont, NH, and Maine.
What would be on your 'Must See' list??

......Southern boy heading north....:bikes

Rte 1 is very scenic, Bar Har Harbor is a nice place, one place you should check out if your schedule allows is Cadillac Moutain on Mount Dessert Island in Maine

Very scenic

Last time we did the land route to NS, we went thru the coast line of New Brusnwick and went thru Alama beautiful, they also have a very nice park that is affected by the Bay of Funday and if you have the time, check it at high and low tide - the differences are amazing.

In NS several places are nice, such as Digby Briar Island, Halifax and if you are palnning on going to Cape Breton check out Baddeck and Louisburg.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

Luis

I live on the Mid-coast of Maine and concur with the suggestion of Rte 1 ... take a route right along the coast. Some decent enough places to stop over ... if you don't mind the summertime tourists. Haven't ridden in western Maine so don't know about the roads out there. But I can tell you that, due to lack of maintenance, secondary roads are hit and miss 'cuz of damage from frost heaves and general wear-and-tear over the years that has not been repaired and probably won't be in the near future.

On another note: any hints you guys come up with for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia I will be considering when I take a run up to St Johns, Newfoundland for Ride the Rock '09 at the end of the month. Thanks in advance ...

Head North on 100 in VT and cross back and forth on 73, 125, and 17. These are all twisty gap roads.

I'll also be at the Damn Yankees Rally with the Yankee Beemers, it's a good time.

yankeebeemers.org for more info on the DY rally.

Brian

Head North on 100 in VT and cross back and forth on 73, 125, and 17. These are all twisty gap roads.

I'll also be at the Damn Yankees Rally with the Yankee Beemers, it's a good time.

yankeebeemers.org for more info on the DY rally.

Brian

+1, but I would steer clear of Rt. 125. It is in pretty tough shape.

Note that Rt. 1 can be VERY congested with heavily laden minivans, especially around Wiscasset and Camden. If you have a chance, take a ferry over to North Haven or Islesboro (which has a park with a nice beach all the way at the south end, a great old soda shop that makes a mean roast beef grinder, and next to the ferry landing on the mainland side you can get one of the best lobster rolls in the whole State.) Deer Island and it's big town Stonington are also worth a visit. Mt. Desert Island is as mentioned above a great visit especially the ride around and up Mt. Cadillac, just know that Rt. 3 is always congested as is Bar Harbor.

The roads in Vermont are awesome, Rt. 100 is a great road that sort of meanders amongst the trendy antique shops and quaint towns - towards the northern part near I-89 it can get a bit clogged with tour busses heading to Ben & Jerry's. It is a great launch[ad to zigzag over the gaps on side roads.

Personally I think New Hampshire is the real gem - find North Conway on the map and the entire area north and west is laden with great roads. If you have a chance, ride to the top of Mt. Washington (and don't forget to get the sticker!)

Back