Thread: K1200S Valve Adjustment?

K1200S Valve Adjustment?

Ok Guys, after reading the article in the latest Owners News about the new K1200S. I started studying the pictures trying to figure out how the valves are adjusted. Is there some type of adjustment in the hinged fingers or by using the hinged fingers eliminate valve lash?

I am not into Formula 1 engine technology, so can anyone give me a clue?

Bill

It looks like there's an adjustment on the pivot point of the fingers. Unlike most of the other valve actuation schemes I've seen for overhead cams, this doesn't have a shim and bucket arrangement on top of the valve stem. That really only leaves one way to adjust the valve clearance - setting the gap with the fingers.

Old Suzukis and Hondas had a tappet at the end of the finger with a screw and locknut arrangement. This doesn't look like it allows for that, so all I can figure is that you set a static clearance by adjusting the finger height from the pivot point on the finger.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Re: K1200S Valve Adjustment?

Originally posted by BE in IN
    Ok Guys, after reading the article in the latest Owners News about the new K1200S. I started studying the pictures trying to figure out how the valves are adjusted. Is there some type of adjustment in the hinged fingers or by using the hinged fingers eliminate valve lash?

I am not into Formula 1 engine technology, so can anyone give me a clue?

Bill
    Dad, are you thinking about buying something that you haven't told me about yet??? Because I sure hope so.

Hummm....Hi KBasa, Garth,
    Just got up from a nap, so the eyes are sharper now. I don't see any way to adjust the fingers at the pivot point other then to remove the E-ring and replace the finger itself. OR.... removing the finger allows access to the top of the valve stem. Perhaps an adjustment there by a captive shim bucket on top of the valve stem. It could be much smaller then the current K engine bucket and shim, because it dosen't have too "withstand the lateral stress caused by the rotating camshafts". Anyway, one good look will be worth a thousand words of speculation.
    Hey Garth, don't get your hopes up. You know how I am about figuring out how things work. Besides my K only has 137,000 on it and there is still the /5 and it has new tires on it .

Bill

Just happened to stop by the local beemer shop today. Why I was there I asked the service manager about the valve adjustment on the new K. He said he didn't know. However he pulled out a new tech book and said "I just received this today. Check it out "
    I took the book and started browsing thru it and what do ya know. Here is the direct quote.

"The valve clearances are adjusted by measured polished hemispheres, a first for a series engine. These hemispheres are inserted in a domed section of the rocker finger. The hemispheres come in .05 mm increments."

I guess that means a whole new assortment of shims to be stocked by the dealer.

BE in IN