• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine idle problems HELP

B

b707142

My St has started shutting down again after an extended run. The dealers aren't much help. Anyone got any Ideas?

Blueseal :banghead

My F800S was lemoned out for a similar problem after 30 shop days and still no diagnosis. I now have a different bike.

Vacuum in gas tank.....???

Does popping the lid on the gas tank help?

There has been a problem on and off with some bikes not venting the tank properly and after a long ride enough of a vacuum builds up that the fuel pump can no longer "work against it" to deliver fuel.....

You may have something JIM BOB. When it starts it simply refuses to idle. I have to keep it revved up or it will die. The only thing that will help is completely shutting it off with the switch then recranking and it's fine??
What would be the fix for vacume problem?

:banghead

Does popping the lid on the gas tank help?

There has been a problem on and off with some bikes not venting the tank properly and after a long ride enough of a vacuum builds up that the fuel pump can no longer "work against it" to deliver fuel.....

There was a recall for this; it should have been taken care of if he's been to the dealer about it. If it hasn't I'd start there, if that doesn't fix it, I'd be a regular visitor to the service department (getting everything documented) while the bike is still under warranty.

You may have something JIM BOB. When it starts it simply refuses to idle. I have to keep it revved up or it will die. The only thing that will help is completely shutting it off with the switch then recranking and it's fine??
What would be the fix for vacume problem?

:banghead

If you have USA version bike it is most likely:

1) misrouted hose on vacuum/emissions control system
2) kinked or pinched hose vacuum/emissions control system
3) Plugged up charcoal canister

If bike is under warranty the dealer should be "familiar" with this...
Pop tank if air goes whooshing IN to the tank... I think this is the problem...

If you have USA version bike it is most likely:

1) misrouted hose on vacuum/emissions control system
2) kinked or pinched hose vacuum/emissions control system
3) Plugged up charcoal canister

If bike is under warranty the dealer should be "familiar" with this...
Pop tank if air goes whooshing IN to the tank... I think this is the problem...

This recall issue was fixed on my F800S in April 2008. My shut off issues (not stalling, but power off with key on) started in August 2008. By October 2008 my bike was not fixed, ergo a lemon.

Do you have a stalling issue Blueseal, or is it a shut off issue? Your "shutting down" language makes me think it is the latter issue.

They are quite different.

Once it starts doing it I have to keep the revs up. If I don't give it enought gas, then yes it stalls and dies. If I simply turn loose of the throttle at the stop light it dies and will continue untill I hut off key and restart or by the time I reach the next small town there will be no symtems. But once it start this it 90% of the stops.
I live an hour and a half from either of two dealers. The last time I was at one of them they over charged me $120/ labor. They gladly refunded but that sort of thing really steams me. I ordered a service manual from Cannada last night since BMW is not interested in supporting the US customers.
I guess it's back to the dealers.

Charcoal Canister

Can anyone tell me where the charcoal canister is on a 2012 F800ST?

Once it starts doing it I have to keep the revs up. If I don't give it enought gas, then yes it stalls and dies. If I simply turn loose of the throttle at the stop light it dies and will continue untill I hut off key and restart or by the time I reach the next small town there will be no symtems. But once it start this it 90% of the stops.
I live an hour and a half from either of two dealers. The last time I was at one of them they over charged me $120/ labor. They gladly refunded but that sort of thing really steams me. I ordered a service manual from Cannada last night since BMW is not interested in supporting the US customers.
I guess it's back to the dealers.

Have you replace your cam chain tensioner? If not, do so! It solved my issue.

Back