• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

throttle bodies

brianfisk

Dose any one have any thoughts on throttle bodies wear out?
I beleive that I have 2 of them gone, hence the bike running very bad. I have a jerry rigged set up on the left one since coming home from the Finger Lakes. The return spring broke. They are NA from BMW you need to buy the TB to get the spring,($331 ea. list at the dealer).

The bike really surges at off idle runs rich, seems to be good at speed (70 plus). Pretty much unrideable.
Brian Fisk

Well, you need both TBs to be in good shape for the bike to run right... pretty basic stuff, there. You didn't say what bike this is; a lot of TBs are less money than that. The right-side one for my RS is only $140 or so.

Most of them fail by excessive wear on the shaft. There are definitely some dead ones around which would have good springs that you could harvest.

Which TB model is it? It's stamped on the bottom flange of the TB.

Some info on http://www.largiader.com/tech/tb/

tb

Anton, My bike is a 1997 R100RT. Thanks for your info. I sometimes feel as if I am the guiena pig. I have the problems first. I would rebuild these puppies if I could NOW I guess I'll have to buy nwe and just do it. But this will help others, and soon! Thanks

List price for replacements is $328 left and $139 right. Ouch. Of course Chicago is 20% off that. If you need a spring for the left side, my old right-side unit probably won't have what you need, and I wouldn't be able to find it for a week or two, probably.

Ask around and see if anyone has a dead left-side TB that you can harvest a spring from. That is a truly rare failure. S**t, I'd wind a new spring out of baling wire before I paid $328.

Oh, BTW you should follow the link to Bing on my page. They probably can get you just the spring.

List price for replacements is $328 left and $139 right. Ouch.
The left side IS available without the Throttle Position Sensor. Without the TPS the left TB is about the same price as the right.

If the parts counter still says N/A, have them check the TBs for another model. The TB sans TPS is not listed separately for every model.

- Jim

That would be great, but I can't find anything in the fiche like you describe for the R1100 series. As far as I can tell, the high price is the price for just the throttle body, without a switch. Can you give me an example of a part number for the 'cheaper' left side TB?

more TB

Well I went a head and bought both TB from Chicago BMW. the left one was $262.40 and the right $129.93. I will look to rebuild the old ones thanks to Anton info. I wiswed that I knew you could buy the left one without the TPS . $ 130 would look good in my wallet.
Don't know hwen I'll get them buit it will be tooo late to get to the RA rally this weekend. Hopefully I'll have then so that I can get to the Falling Leaf Rally. Meanwhile I'll use the LS for the next 2 campouts, (I am getting to old (read fat)to ride the LS that far in the rain).
Thanks for the comments and help! Brian

Dang too bad you bought the new ones already, there is a guy on the RS site that would have sold you both TB, for around 180.00 used.

lorazepam said:
Dang too bad you bought the new ones already, there is a guy on the RS site that would have sold you both TB, for around 180.00 used.
If you were thinking about the '94, those are different TBs.

AntonLargiader said:
If you were thinking about the '94, those are different TBs.
The RS TBs are different for different years? Or is it the RS vs. RT distinction that makes them different?

Could someone explain to me how a throttle body "wears out" so it needs a complete replacement instead of a couple of 20?ó shims or a new shaft/plate? Especially one less than 20 years old?
Or is this just more "lore" of the "Legendary Motorcycles of Germany"?

Back