Thread: Gear Oil Change

Gear Oil Change

Hi Folks,
    This Is my first R bike and I would like to change the transmission lube to synthetic. Can someone tell me how much body work and misc. parts need to be removed on a 1150RT to gain access to the drain and fill. Should I pack a lunch? Thanks in advance
    Karl

You do not have to remove any bodywork to change the gear oil or for that matter the engine oil. The drain and fill plugs are on the right side of the transmission recessed into the foot peg plate.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

REBECCAV
    Changing the transmission gear oil is very similar and just as easy as changing your engine oil. Check out the R-bike tech pages (and all of the other great stuff) at IBMWR:

Internet BMW Riders

YMMV, void where prohibited, etc.

You will need to fashion some kind of trough to keep the drained oil from running all over your exhaust system and the side plate. I use a piece of paper plate rolled to fit in the recess around the drain plug. Remove the fill plug first to let air in, and be sure the tranny is plenty warm. The BMW 75W140 synthetic gear oil is good stuff.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT