• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another fatality.......

There are aspects of this story that I find strange. The bike rider killed was attempting to pass another bike with whom he was riding. Why didn't the passee move over to the right side of the road to yield for his buddy?

The oncoming pickup truck tried to move over to the breakdown lane but still the passer hit the truck on the driver's side. How far over in the oncoming lane was the bike?

The photo in the article shows a road with paved "breakdown" lanes as well as normal width lanes. Why did the passing bike try to pass with oncoming traffic? Why did he go over into the left (oncoming) lane so far?

I think that there is a lot that isn't said about this accident.

Too bad for the passenger and too bad for the truck driver. The bike rider looks to be wrong.... dead wrong.

I think that there is a lot that isn't said about this accident.

I drove Rt. 1 from Lincolnville to Brunswick yesterday and was really amazed (dismayed) at some of the riding I saw - I was tailgated in my SUV, passed repeatedly on double-yellows, not many helmets or gear. One guy, two-up, pulled an unexpected u-turn almost causing a pile-up, so he could talk to some guys stopped on the other side of the road.

It is indeed tragic and sad, for the rider, his passenger, and everyone else involved.

Judging from the position of the pickup truck in the ditch in the photo, this motorcyclist was passing in a right-hand turn, approaching the top of a hill. What a prescription for disaster! Why do folks do this stuff?:dunno Could this have been a malfunction - sticking throttle, etc.?:scratch Condolances to his family, and hopes that his passenger will fully recover. Best wishes to the pickup driver and passenger, as this had to be a harrowing experience for them as well.

Regardless of the cause, we all send our condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

The sad thing is, that's a 45mph zone but it's plenty clear and roomy and there's an intersection about another 15 yards in the foreground of the pic as well as one about anohter 100 yards on the other end. it's not like it was a highspeed section of road where legs can be stretched.....

bad things happen to good people everyday...I have no interest in keeping track of 'em all; that would be a depressing thing to do

You could start a never ending thread of motorcycle fatalities links. I think I'll pass.

Dragon

A lone female rider was killed on the Dragon this week also, I believe that is two for this year.
The Dragon, 129, and the other assorted roads in the area will have a lot of bikes on them over the BMW rally so everyone ride with caution. Your best riding doesn't count if you don't make it out of the curve on the other side.

Back