• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This should be Fun!!

G

Geraldine

Hi all,

My husband has an old BMW sitting on the side of our house. When we met he was
riding this bike. I want to restore it and need help. It is, and I may be wrong, a R/75 cafe racer with a Hydric tank is what I remember him saying. His 60th birthday is in january. I need to find a restoration place near San Jose, CA. Wish me Luck!:wave

Sounds fun! I'd check with Ted Porter at http://www.beemershop.com north of you and see what he suggests. He works on Airheads, but not sure what kind of "restoration" you're after, but Ted can certainly get the bike running as good as new.

Ted Porter would probably be the closest and best opportunity since he is located in Scotts Valley. Also Dave Gardner at Recommended Service in San Francisco would be a good second choice, but he's farther from you. Dave's a little eccentric though, but he does good work at a reasonable price.

As 20774, I would think about what type of restoration you would like to perform. I know you would prefer to have his bike repaired/restored, but it may not be cost effective, so I would keep that in the back of your mind. If the bike wasn't stored properly it may cost more to repair than it would be to get a running bike. I would suggest whoever you chose to get the bike running again is to have them go over the entire bike to determine its condition before much $$ is spent on restoration.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and don't hesitate to ask future questions during the restoration phase.

Geraldine.... any chance of a coupla pics?

And, just a thought, be very careful of what is involved with the "restoration", i.e. changing etc... some guys can be very emotionally attached to what they got, and like it that way..... know what I mean.....?:dance ?

If it is indeed a Heinrich tank, "just sitting at the side of the house"... yowza :thumb

pics pics pics!!!

and i'll gladly trade you that porky old Heinrich tank for a much more attractive and svelte standard R80ST tank. :deal

I know a guy who traded a shiny 4 gal tank for one of those ugly Heinrich tanks.
The tank is probably worth more than the bike...
Must have been a long distance from Cafe' to Cafe'

This is all I know....

I know it needs brakes. It has been sitting outside , sometimes uncovered, for 12 years.
I know he loves it and is upset that it looks like it does. That is what gave me the idea. I would love to take it back to the way it was. So I want to restore the seat. It will need to be repainted. The tank is large, I think it holds 8 gal. This is about all I know, not much but I will call the guy anyway. Now I have to figure out how to get it to the repair place.:scratch Thanks

w apologies

sorry to be the voice of negativity here, but you're aware that it'll be an expensive task, right? It might range anywhere from "expensive" to "holy crap! you're kidding me right?! Please tell me you're kidding me."

But if he loves you now, he'll walk thru fire and eat bugs for you after!:dance

What is expensive to one is a small pittance to another.
And if I am reading between the lines correctly, you cannot put a price on that kind of love.:heart

Go for it Geraldine. :clap

12 years;

Outside in San Jose, left unattended is a real mess, I figure. BMWs are tough customers, however and it can run again, but. You WILL spend a lot, getting r done. Find a DRY climate, like the San Juaquin Valley:), take it apart, clean r up and lets see:). Truck it to me in CLOVIS. Its dry here, hot and I may have time to make her go again. That 12 years worries me, outside and the gas tank! I have one too:). Very nice, expensive tanks. ME, I would get the bike just running first and see where it leads. That alone can be enough money to choke on$$$....Best wishes, Randy.....Est; 2000$ to "start" the project of a safe runner only:), tires,bearings and all else. Not pretty, just a runner:)....Happy Trails:thumb:usa

If your husband likes to go out and tinker withe mechanical things, then I would suggest getting the bike running only. That way he can have the fun doing the cosmetics on the bike.

Well, you have given something to think about

Eykes! $2000

I agree that I should just get it running. It was started not long ago and I think
the tank was empty. Thanks all for telling me about the tank. I thought that it
was something special.I will try to sneak a picture off his computer. As you all
know, this is new to me. Thanks for all the help. LOL

Out of curiosity, what were they going to do for the $2,000?

Well that's the thing. It takes a lot of hours for a tech (charging probably 70 per hour or more) to do all the things that a reasonably talented owner could do themselves. But if you want someone to do it for you, whatever reason, it costs a lot. There are steering head bearings, wheel bearings, tires, tank crudded up inside, maybe tossed with rust removal and resealed, carburators filled with varnish and need rebuilding, new petcocks, new air filter (clean out the mouse nest),...it goes on and on. Not to mention the brake fluid master cyl issues if it has those. It's really tough to get one of these "safe running" when it's been in a shed for 10 years. Try it with a car sometime...probably unaffordable unless you do a lot of the work yourself.

Polar Bear,
looks like I misread the OP most recent post. I thought she got a quote from a repair shop.

cjack,
I wasn't questioning the price. I've done most of the work on my bike, and I KNOW how time consuming the work is. I was just curious.

261365954_uSaHa-M.gif

Come on you guys! How about holding a special tech day for the old gal? ( I'm referencing the bike!) If i were in the neighborhood I would host. But alas I'm 2000 miles away. I'd be willing to bet there is someone that's a member here that wouldn't mind going over to assess the situation.:dance

Last edited:
Back