• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Picking up new bike in WI.

F

fzyace

I'm flying into Madison WI on July 9th to pick up an R65 by daughter bought. I'll be riding it back to Central New York. I'm looking for advice on routes, camping and anything else to make the trip as much fun as I think it will be. I'm leaning toward the Canadian route as it looks less citified, I'd like to avoid Chicago and still make the 820 miles in two days. I ride an R100RT so the R65 will be a different ride for sure.
Gary

The north throu the U.P. at Sault St. Marie to Montreal is 23 hours. The border is about 7 1/2 hours...

Your best bet is either strait east to the lake and take the high speed ferry. (Half price thru july I think.) and go towards Ann Arbor. Otherwise you go south and through or around Chicago.

Otherwise you go south and through or around Chicago.

And everything east of there pretty much blows until you hit PA. If you ca, do the ferry http://www.lake-express.com/default.aspx and take a northern route - much nicer. Looks like $150 or so to go 1st class.

Check out Great Dane Brew Pub by the capitol while you're there. Great wings and even better beer. The Scotch Ale is out of this world.

Leaving the 10th for a week of riding before the rally. Taking the far southern route around Chicago, down to Bloomington then across to Indy. I know, not a scenic ride. I am stopping in that area Friday night and then the scenic route to the TN/NC area Saturday. I would welcome the company to Indy if you are interested.

R 65 ride

I am thinking I'll scoot around to the south of Chicago (Joliet, Valparaiso and then go north to Detroit to cut across Canada. Thanks for the of of company.
Gary

And everything east of there pretty much blows until you hit PA. If you ca, do the ferry http://www.lake-express.com/default.aspx and take a northern route - much nicer. Looks like $150 or so to go 1st class.

OTOH, there is the more leisurely trip on the OTHER carferry.

The S.S. Badger sails from Manitowoc to Ludington mid-day, arriving in late afternoon. Looks like it will cost about $112, one way. A lot more scenic and relaxing than going through northern Illinois followed by a long ride on I-94 to Detroit, believe me. :thumb

Then, there's me and Randy (Manic Mechanic) who might just be around for lunch ...

I'm planning a trip from NE Iowa to Dover, NH and this has been a great thread. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

I'm planning a trip from NE Iowa to Dover, NH and this has been a great thread. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave
Oh, man! Northern New England? I'd do most of that route in Canada! Not that western New York isn't lovely, but you have to endure the flatlands of Indiana and northern Ohio to get there.

Heading east from Madison, by all means AVOID CHICAGO!

Two choices make sense:

(1) The Lake Express Ferry from Milwaukee to Michigan (noted above).

(2) The U. P. to Sault Ste. Marie and then east through Canada.

I have ridden them both, and either is vastly superior to Chicago.

This is too late for the OP, but for future reference, the Canadian route has a lot of stunning beauty, but I'd be leary about riding an unfamiliar bike that way.

Three years ago my R100RT's tranny went out (detent spring) in Sudbury, Ontario. The nearest shop which could work on it was a bit north of Toronto. That meant I had to rent van and drive my bike 350 km to get it fixed.

And I missed the national in Vermont. On the upside, I did have a great unplanned weekend in Toronto.

No need to avoid chicago. Just plan to do it early am like 5am or late after 8pm or take 355 around the city.
As for routes, RT 20 (it goes from boston ma to seatle wa i think.) is a very nice ride, so is rt 2. or you could do the boring down 39 to 80 to avoid chicago.

If you get hung up in chicago stop by for a beer, I am in the far nw suburbs. Algonquin 3 1/2 hours from madison.
no mater what way you take be careful and have a great ride.

I'm in Beloit on the stateline just off I90. It's only an hour south of Madison so I doubt you'll need a pit stop. Construction starts on I90 just south of the stateline. Goes down to 2 lanes till Rockford. Watch for that. If you are going to take 51 I39 to I80 watch for your Turn off. It is in the middle of the construction but it is marked of.

Cheers!

Back