• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deal's Gap/ The Dragon

There are better roads much closer to the rally than the Dragon that are far less traveled with more challenging curves. Try Rt 80 and Rt 16 I outlined in the May ON. You won't be disappointed.

Ken

The last time I rode the Dragon I had the questionable pleasure of watching a K1200LT get hit head on by a squid comming the other way in the wrong lane. The squid didn't make it. The LT rider and his passenger suffered relitivly minor (two broken wrists and a broken leg) injuries. The fact that there are no intersections or driveways on that 11 mile section seems to make drivers and riders want to push their envelopes harder than if they were worring about traffic from side streets. It's not you that's going to hurt you on that road. It will be something completely out of your control. If not a squid maybe a pack of wild hogs crossing the road. JMHO

The fact that there are no intersections or driveways on that 11 mile section seems to make drivers and riders want to push their envelopes harder than if they were worring about traffic from side streets.

IMHO there is nothing especially hard or technical about the dragon. The problem is between riders ears. They think "OH I'm riding the dragon" and either try to post their best lap time, or their floorboards bite them in the a#%. I would be surprised if the average rider even thought about the lack of intersections.

Already on the road

I headed out early because I had to be in St. Louis for work. I plan on camping at Deals Gap on Sunday and getting up and doing the Dragon and parkway on Monday morning. I have been forewarned and will be careful.

I guess I get some purverse pleasure in watching folks make idots of themselves.

I'm going to do it just to say I've done it. I suspect I have traveled much better roads in CA, CO, and AR. My plan is to do it early Thurs morning before heading up to the rally. Are Thurs a.m.s busy?

It sort of has the same draw as any major attraction. Anytime you can think of that seems like a good shot at low volume, many others have thought of too. My guess would be sun up on a week day would be about as good as it gets but I doubt you would ever be alone. But in the early morning you need to deal with the four legged forest rat issue (deer.)

I started this thread to inform riders of hazards, not create fear. Be careful, even extra careful, just don't forget to enjoy the ride. That's the reason for traveling any road isn't it?

:bikes

Just got back from a 1720 mile ride from IN to AL and spending most of it in NC. I would recommend the Cherahola Skyway, a road from Franklin to Highlands that goes through a river gorge, 64, and probably the best road was a road that connects 64 to 215. I think it is called Parkway road part of the time and Lake Logan Road further north you go. No traffic, no cops and great curves and waterfalls.

Did the Dragon on the way home on a Thursday afternoon early evening timeframe and passed more cops than bikes. I agree, if you have never done it, do it and get your stickers and shirts and go find better roads with less chance of getting killed by some idiot.:thumb We rode better roads than the Dragon on our trip.

Heading out Thursday morning for the rally from Indiana across Pine Mountain in KY. It will be another great ride. :brad

, and probably the best road was a road that connects 64 to 215. I think it is called Parkway road part of the time and Lake Logan Road further north you go. No traffic, no cops and great curves and waterfalls.

:brad

No that road IS 215 which goes from the 64 across the parkway to 276. Great ride. Now there are roads that connect 64 to 215 but they are classified!

There are better roads much closer to the rally than the Dragon that are far less traveled with more challenging curves. Try Rt 80 and Rt 16 I outlined in the May ON. You won't be disappointed.

Ken

I gave several folks that came early a little tour of some of our roads yesterday and we had a great day. They rode the dragon on their way here. On Monday, they took the long ride I ourlined in the May ON but did it in reverse. One of them said in the 210 miles they rode the day before (they stayed near Marion), all of the roads they rode were better than the dragon.

Geez - I'm wondering if I should even bother with the Dragon? Squids. Cops, Traffic. Getting hit by oncoming Squids. I would like to say I've done it just because, but starting to wonder if A - Is it worth it? And B - Would my time be better spent elsewhere?

My route so far is to head down 129 from Knoxville, heading east on 74 to pick up the Blue Ridge Pkwy, take that to Little Switzerland, and then up to Johnson City. Previous posts indicate that 64 is a good road. Maybe I should forego the BRP and take that?

I just love finding new roads that no one else know about! Like a shortcut I found in KY - rt 59 that runs between rt 9 and I64. Its a gorgeous curvy road with hardly any traffic (like two or 3 cars)! It didnt look like much from the map but it was such a fun road-scenic too!:dance Wva and VA are just full of roads like that. By the time I get out of KY and into Ind its sleepy time....the roads here are just as straight and boring!:whistle

Geez - I'm wondering if I should even bother with the Dragon? Squids. Cops, Traffic. Getting hit by oncoming Squids. I would like to say I've done it just because, but starting to wonder if A - Is it worth it? And B - Would my time be better spent elsewhere?

My route so far is to head down 129 from Knoxville, heading east on 74 to pick up the Blue Ridge Pkwy, take that to Little Switzerland, and then up to Johnson City. Previous posts indicate that 64 is a good road. Maybe I should forego the BRP and take that?

A. Only if you want to be able to say you did it.

B. Yes

You will enjoy it more if you do it first.

74 is a highway which is not a lot of fun and IS patroled by the NCHP. 64 is a good road but not great. There is a good chance of getting behind a SLOW local or motorhome.

Now 28 to 64 then turn on 215 to the BRP is a good ride.

Also keep in mind that route 421 (the snake) isn't far from the Rally site. a bunch of us rode 421 in April, on the first annual Ride to Q. I only saw one LEO in the twisties. there was also one near the store watching for burnouts and such... :whistle

Snake

Did The Snake yesterday en route to the Rally, and it is an amazing road, cannot imagine a more technical ride ! Lots of fun and very little traffic

Did The Snake yesterday en route to the Rally, and it is an amazing road, cannot imagine a more technical ride ! Lots of fun and very little traffic
Would someone please post about what part of 421 is "The Snake"? I'm between GPS's at the moment and don't have the software needed to open the .g** files that have been posted, so I'm paper map-bound.

Some help for the temporarily electronics-challenged would be greatly appreciated!

;)
Would someone please post about what part of 421 is "The Snake"? I'm between GPS's at the moment and don't have the software needed to open the .g** files that have been posted, so I'm paper map-bound.

Some help for the temporarily electronics-challenged would be greatly appreciated!

About 7 or 8 miles north of Shady Valley, TN to a few miles north of Mountain City, TN. You will recognize it when you get to the curves.

Rt 16 north of Marion was 42 challenging miles and the snake comes in a very close second. Thanks TN for letting us play there for the week.:usa

Back