• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tennessee Red Light Law for Motorcycles

TNOutback

FYI for those traveling to/through Tennessee for the rally. We have a 'red light law' here in Tennessee for those traffic signals that are activated by in-pavement devices. See below. Note that the absence of such a device is not a defense for running a light.

T.C.A. 55-8-110
.(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of ?º 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle​

Thanks for the heads up!
Can we put together a reference list of other states know to do this as well?

READ carefully!

That Tenn law has an OUT as big as Texas, for any officer "to" write you a ticket, imo....And, do you have time to fight it??? Randy:usa

That Tenn law has an OUT as big as Texas, for any officer "to" write you a ticket, imo....And, do you have time to fight it??? Randy:usa

I took advantage of that law several times in Tennessee, (Chattanooga) a few times with an officer parked within view of the intersection.... the key is :
shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so.

I plant both feet on the pavement for a few seconds and usually flip my four way flashers on as I proceed thru the intersection. At couple of those intersections, you can wait "til the cows come home" before you get a signal change.

SC has a new law...

I dont have the legaleze but...

If after 2 minutes of sitting at a red light it doesnt change, you may proceed WHEN SAFE.

Back