• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

85 K100RS battery removal

colemanrobh

Please be patient, I know this has come up in the past but searching the forum hasn't given me a solution, only mentions by others of similiar problem.
To remove the battery on the '85 K100rs, Haynes says insert long screwdiver into clip access in bottom of storage box and move handle to front of bike to release clip. OK, did that (many times), didn't work, now how to trip the clip to release the storage box from computer actually? I don't want to force it but don't have a mental picture of what is happening at the clip so I am working blind.
Thanks for any help.

It's more like a metal tab that has to be pushed towards the front of the bike as you wiggle the connector loose.

I don't have the K75 any more but it had the same arrangement. The first time I unhooked the connector to pull the battery I had the same sense that nothing was happening.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with a picture or a better explanation.

John

1. Remove seat.
2. Remove left hand side cover (painted part that goes from tank along bottom edge of seat)
3. Remove tool tray cover
4. Take all the junk out of the tool tray
5. Pull out on the front edge of the black cover on the left side of the tool tray below the frame rail and remove the cover
6. Take a small screwdriver and insert in the hole in the floor of the tool tray. Pry the silver tab that is in the hole toward the back of the bike. While holding the tab back, pull out on the wire end of the connector that was exposed when you removed the side cover. Clear the hooked end of the front of the connector.
7. Lift tool tray and computer up at rear.
8. If you have the factory alarm in the back of the tool tray, remove the screws securing it to the tool tray and disconnect wires or see if there is enough slack in the wires to just lay the tool tray out of the way.
9. Disconnect negative cable to battery first (install last). Remove positive cable last (install first).
10. Remove two battery hold down screws and bracket.
11. Remove vent tube at battery if so equipped. You will not use this tube with the sealed Odyssey, but leave tube in place for possible future use (you never know what kind of battery you might have to install in the middle of nowhere on a long trip).
12. Remove battery.

It took me longer to type this than it does to do it. It's VERY easy.

:dance:dance:dance

If you don't want to disconnect the motronic unit you can slide it out to the left side after removing the rubber clip on the right side. It pulls up and then the whole motronic unit will just slide out.

Other wise 98Lee has the instructions very detailed on the procedure.

Get a bright flashlight, and shine it in there, both through the access hole and the connector side. Once you can see the clip, it'll be obvious what you need to do. Once you release it, you can rock the connector out, rear first, and then the front hook will release. Again, it really helps to be able to see that stuff. I've usually done this in dim sheds and such, and had several frustrating experiences, including not getting it seated properly when replacing it. 98lee has the sequence down exactly, but I sensed your problem was only with the connector. Good luck

Johnny

no need to remove the seat, unless it is not a hinged seat. And after you disconect the hose and wires, you need to turn the battery on its side to get it out. Keep the vent up so it dosesn't leak.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information!

I acquired a K100rs last year and the battery died over the winter. I'm used to airheads, so I hadn't a clue how to get the battery out. As luck would have it, the battery is the same size as on my R75/6, and I had bought a new one last year whilst chasing down an electrical gremlin. The old battery was still good and, once I figured out how to get the old battery out, the K started right up. Thanks for instructions!

I’ve owned a K75 (or 3) for 25 years and I can never remember which way the tab in the tool tray moves ,
forward or rearward, to release the Electrical Cable. So I put one hand on the cable and use slight pressure on the cable until one way or another releases it. 25 years !

How’s that for the Shade Tree following you around for your lifetime.

Charlie

I’ve owned a K75 (or 3) for 25 years and I can never remember which way the tab in the tool tray moves ,
forward or rearward, to release the Electrical Cable. So I put one hand on the cable and use slight pressure on the cable until one way or another releases it. 25 years !

How’s that for the Shade Tree following you around for your lifetime.

Charlie

Pretend somebody just insulted your daughter. Push back! :)

I got tired of trying to figure out which way it went - mine now has an arrow drawn in permanent marker.

On my father's K75, I also could easily remove the whole "brain box" from the tray without having to release the plug.

It is a spring steel clip that clips over a bump on the end of the plug, so thinking logically, it should be pried AWAY from the plug. If you forget, (and haven't marked it) just think about what it does.

To remove the battery on the '85 K100rs, Haynes says insert long screwdiver into clip access in bottom of storage box and move handle to front of bike to release clip.

This is the problem. The manual is backwards of what you have to actually do, as you have found out. I too struggled with this job a few years back, and asked for help with it on the forum. You really don't want to damage that computer, and following the manual, it just won't release. When I got my second K75, I had forgotten the direction to move the screwdriver. Now mine too has an arrow drawn on the tool tray.

They mean: if you use the hole as the fulcrum, moving the handle of the screwdriver to the front, the tip of the screwdriver moves the clip to the rear.

But it is easier just to push the clip to the rear without using the screwdriver as a lever.

They mean: if you use the hole as the fulcrum, moving the handle of the screwdriver to the front, the tip of the screwdriver moves the clip to the rear.

But it is easier just to push the clip to the rear without using the screwdriver as a lever.

Indeed!

On my list...
Was gifted a K75 last Spring (thanks Doug!) and was looking at battery recently, wondering how in the heck am I getting it out. Will go give it a shot today:thumb

Back in the day when K75's&100's were new they came with a small owners manual.
I think it had a little pictorial showing how to remove the battery. Pretty much easy to understand. I think the install portion was it saying just do the reverse. Most of those little manuals are probably long gone. :)

I've crammed an Interstate lead acid battery in there twice, one in my 85 K100RS and one in my 90K75S. I had to leave clamp off I think because battery is a whisker taller. The computer holder also then touches the top of the battery. Its a little squeezy.

When I remove my lead acid battery I push it to the rear enough to deflect the "rear fender" about 1/2 inch, tip the top back and it lifts out, back and up.

The battery clamp strap can be turned over to account for "some" slight differences in battery height. The rubber holddown for the coolant overflow bottle must also be removed and installed on the other side of the strap.

Don't know if that will help your particular case.:dunno

Back