Thread: transmission question

transmission question

I have just installed a new clutch and cable in my 1985 R 80.I took the bike for a short(15Miles) test run and and noticed that once the bike warms up,after a few miles,2nd and 3rd gear scratch when up-shifting.No scratching in the higher,4th and 5th.No scratching when downshifting.I am running 85W 140 mineral based gear oil with a moly additive in the tranny.I had the problem also before changing clutch and cable but was hoping that the new components would cure the problem.Not so.
    Since I have had this bike,since march, I have only put about a 1000 miles on it and have changed the fluid three times(because I removed the tranny twice) never any shavings on the drainplug, no notchyness detected in the rear wheel when spinning in neutral.So, because of the Mfg. year (Oct."84) I am wondering if we have the circlip-issue or am I running just the wrong gear oil for this climate. I live in Alabama where it is very toasty.When I first take off(gear oil cold and thick) no problem,the bike warms up,oil heats up and gets "thinner" and we have the scratching gear-shifts.Any thoughts?

Have you thoroughly cleaned, inspected, and lubed the whole throwout assembly, replacing anything which is worn?

I have taken everthing taken apart,clened,lubed and re -installed

I have taken everything apart,cleaned,lubed and re-installed and made the proper adjustments

Airhead or Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by KARSTEN View Post
    I have taken everything apart,cleaned,lubed and re-installed and made the proper adjustments
    Did you adjust the gap between the trans cable perch and the gearbox lever and then adjust the free play at the lever using the cable adjuster at the lever?

If you reveresed the order, it will result in poor shifts.....